Contractions in personal statements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pageantry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do what I want.

(Never wanted to go to Harvard anyway.)

Members don't see this ad.

No contractions in formal writing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Don't use contractions; it's poor form. :pompous:

Reactions: 1 users
I hadn't given it any thought at the time but I went back and looked at my PS, no contractions. I think one of my proof readers marked it to be changed.

Just make sure the grammar, spelling, and punctuation follow standard English, and most adcoms will be more than content. As far as I know, spell check and grammar check come free with every single copy of word processing software ever sold in this country, but you'd be amazed how many errors end up in essays.

Reactions: 2 users
Just make sure the grammar, spelling, and punctuation follow standard English, and most adcoms will be more than content. As far as I know, spell check and grammar check come free with every single copy of word processing software ever sold in this country, but you'd be amazed how many errors end up in essays.
I took the contractions out of my opening paragraph and then I took my pants off and got comfortable.

Last edited:
Use whatever devices you need to further your story. If contractions fit in, go ahead with them.

People here are too eager to throw around rules about formal writing. I say a PS is just that - personal. Write authentically about your experiences and you won't go wrong, contractions or not*.

*Don't be a doofus though. Using contractions because you're lazy and trying to save characters is painfully obvious.

I used contractions liberally because I felt that breaking up words ruined the mood of my personal statement. One of my interviewers said it was one of the best he's read and two others told me they really liked it. If you feel contractions fit with your writing then I say use them.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't use contractions unless you are quoting someone and want to make them sound natural.

Well I certainly hope your personal statement doesnt have any contractions, but if they get about 5 minutes apart and 4 cm dilated you need to bring that PS to the hospital stat....:angelic:

Well I can guarenteed I probaly failed this test in my PS. I am almost certain that I did use some contractions. Sadly I don't believe I ever heard the term used in a non medical way before today, but I still sucker'd some schools into taking me.

The real joke in this post is that I thought the OP must have posted this from his phone and had spell check change the word to contractions from something else.