Controversial topic for SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kucing11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An MSW program that I am applying for has a format for their personal statement of answering their pointed questions. One of the questions is as follows:

Discuss a situation in which you were confronted with a value or ethical conflict. How did you resolve it? What were some of the factors you considered in making your decision? How was the client and/or other individual affected by the situation?

An experience that has left a lasting impression on me in those regards is working with an immigrant woman with a language barrier who wanted an abortion.

Is this an appropriate example for a personal statement??

Members don't see this ad.

That might work if you presented it extremely well, but I'd probably avoid it since you don't really know your audience personally and so it'd be impossible to appeal effectively to them. (You might put yourself in a bad light politically and make someone subtly dislike you or present it in such a way that your own values seem to be unstable, etc.). I'd suggest going with something a bit more ethics-related, since those are the kinds of decisions professionals in this field deal with every day.

I'm inclined to agree with apumic. Especially given that the adcom members might not all even have the same points of view on the subject, and it's such a sensitive topic that it creates strong feelings in people on both sides.

Go for something more directly related to ethics, and less controversial.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above statements, and would add that given how you presented the topic above, I'm unclear as to what the specific value/ethical conflict actually is. (ie, Was it difficult to help her because you weren't sure what she wanted due to language barrier? Did she not know what choice she wanted to make? Does getting an abortion go against your personal values therefore this was a difficult client for you to work with? Those are hypothetical, no need to answer. ;) )

I had to answer this exact question multiple times last year during med school applications. I agree that looking at an ethical dilemma is a good way to go, and often policy matters are a good place to start. Is there a client who asked you to not tell ANYONE but you knew you needed to break confidentiality because of suicide risk/child abuse concerns etc? Was there an agency policy that was creating a barrier to clients receiving services that you recognized and were able to help effect change in some way? What about in your personal life? Know someone who did something they shouldn't have, or something happened that shouldn't have and you struggled with how to address it? Ultimately what they're looking for here are critical thinking skills- how did you come to the decision that you did, and how did you weigh the potential benefits and consequences before making that decision.

My route was to talk about a professional ethical issue: while working in managed care, I believed that a patient needed additional treatment for her mental health problems. My supervisors did not agree. My choice was to a) be a good employee and bean-counter and follow my supervisors' directive and refuse to authorize care and go on with work or b) be a good clinician and social worker and advocate on behalf of the client to my supervisors, yet risk professional consequences for fighting back.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I appreciate the clarification, Pingoin.

My aim was to show that I am capable of putting my thoughts and beliefs aside to advocate for the client, including within my own agency (at the time I was doing case management at a DV shelter). I hadn't planned on taking any stance on the moral issue, but rather illustrate my ability to uphold the philosophy of the agency which is to support the decisions made by clients.

It's such a sticky issue though...I am definitely looking at other examples!