"controversial" topic in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerdgrrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Agh!!!! I'm going crazy here. I work in women's health, at a clinic that provides abortion (about 40-50% of our patients are abortion care, the rest regular GYN), and interned at a clinic before this. I do just about everything but what the docs do... all the counseling, blood work (including drawing), sonos, contraceptive counseling, STI counseling, blah blah blah, in addition to assisting in procedures (both AB and everything else... colpos, biopsies, D&Cs post incomplete spontaneous AB, etc etc). It's been amazing hands on experience, and I LOVE what I do. however, I'm having a rather hard time getting this into my PS without it being political. Everyone keeps saying, "don't say the A word". But I can't completely leave it out, or I start talking about assisting in "procedures". I'm not trying to be political, at all, because what I do inside my office is not meant to be political. It's meant to provide the best care to the women we see, all politics aside. but, it can be so controversial...

Any advice? Do I leave it out and run the risk of sounding like I just answer the phones at a gynecology practice?

Members don't see this ad.