Convincing my DOP to give me intern duties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

romaniangirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted on here in a while but here goes:

I am a P2 and currently work as a tech at a local community hospital-no intern positions from this hospital or hospital system, as well as no inpatient intern positions anywhere remotely in Houston.

I recently spoke with some of my charge pharmacists, and they said that having an intern would be great to work on inputting orders, working on theradoc, and doing some vanc consults and other things per protocol. They seemed really enthusiastic about having another person around to help on the weekends to lighten their load. That being said, I would absolutely love this opportunity to see first hand exactly what our staff pharmacists do and get some practice before APPEs. The only problem is that I don't think my DOP will go for it because that would be an additional cost to the hospital. Those of you who manage inpatient interns or are in management, how do you justify paying interns when you could just hire techs and make pharmacists do more with less? Any tips appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want the job couldn't you just do all that stuff at the same pay as a tech? I'd probably just quit if they refused to let you do anything other than tech work.

Here's the financial perspective: Are you considered an extra tech shift on the weekend or are you working a tech shift that is already part of the workflow? If it's the later then your director has to pay another tech to do your duties and on top of that pay you to do things the pharmacist otherwise are probably maintaining just fine themselves.

Here's the bigger picture: If your pharmacists are already bogged down with order entry, med recs, etc., then one could make a strong argument that it would free them up for more meaningful duties. Offer to make it a research project to document actual workflow outcomes from your involvement.

Reactions: 1 user