Coolest Class You've Taken

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asw98

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious to see what kind of cool classes people have taken/or will take. Next year I'm going to take a class called Protocols and Fundamentals of Surgery. The course description is pretty awesome:

"It has been well established that practical experience enhances didactic learning. The aim of this course is to expose students of engineering to the day to day aspects of working in an Operating Room and to understand the art and science of surgery so that they can better serve the surgical community when working in the medical field upon graduation. The lectures are supplemented with experiential learning in a hands-on, training operating room using synthetic and preserved animal specimens at Cornell’s prestigious School of Veterinary Medicine. Surgical scrub, gowning, gloving, instrumentation, suturing, internal fixation, as well as surgical documentation, pre and post operative protocols, aseptic technique and medical terminology will be explored."

Members don't see this ad.

As an undergrad, I've audited parts of this course (that I hopefully will soon be taking): Gross Anatomy. Boring to many, sure. It's just anatomy. Except your group has a cadaver. As undergraduates. If you don't think that is the coolest thing ever, I don't honestly know what will impress you.

Reactions: 1 users
I took a class called EM Clinical Research where we assisted doctors on actual clinical research cases in the ER. Fun stuff

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Astronomy and Quantum Physics with Professor Michio Kaku. Other than that photography and ceramics haha

Reactions: 4 users
My sophomore year I took this awesome class called Introduction to Biology. The professor was pretty cool and doesn't afraid of anything.

Reactions: 4 users
:love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I audited this grad class, Methods of Experimental Design. Pretty challenging, but fun.

As an undergrad, I've audited parts of this course (that I hopefully will soon be taking): Gross Anatomy. Boring to many, sure. It's just anatomy. Except your group has a cadaver. As undergraduates. If you don't think that is the coolest thing ever, I don't honestly know what will impress you.

I was always so bored during the dissections in physiology. x.x
Killing a sentient being to cut its heart/brain/whatever open for jack**** because only drawn slides are going to be on the exam anyway... like can we not, pls?

My study abroad class, only because I was in Europe and Europe is awesome

The most exciting class I had in undergrad was one in which I shadowed a different doctor each week - that's all we did. Got to see some pretty exciting stuff - ER medicine, CABG / valve replacement, C-section, a bunch of general surgery operations, etc... Was a nice way to end my senior year.

Killing a sentient being to cut its heart/brain/whatever open for jack**** because only drawn slides are going to be on the exam anyway... like can we not, pls?
Lol

Introductory anthropology was really cool. I imagine that next semester's psychology research methods will be great.

Pretty meh compared to a class about surgery, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Intro to Sleep, which had a dedicated sleep section of the classroom, was pretty neat. I also took a seminar course in CS Lewis and that was accompanied by tea/fresh bread each week, courtesy of the professor (I called it tea time in Narnia). There was also a literary arts seminar in Cave Writing, which was about writing in 4D and actually involved an interactive "writing" presentation in a virtual environment. Yeah...I took some interesting courses. I say I deserved it though, for getting through biochem :p

Intro to Sleep, which had a dedicated sleep section of the classroom, was pretty neat. I also took a seminar course in CS Lewis and that was accompanied by tea/fresh bread each week, courtesy of the professor (I called it tea time in Narnia). There was also a literary arts seminar in Cave Writing, which was about writing in 4D and actually involved an interactive "writing" presentation in a virtual environment. Yeah...I took some interesting courses. I say I deserved it though, for getting through biochem :p
This an Ivy, I presume?

I took a linguistics class on slang and taboo terms. Super cool and fun to swear so often in class lol

The most exciting class I had in undergrad was one in which I shadowed a different doctor each week - that's all we did. Got to see some pretty exciting stuff - ER medicine, CABG / valve replacement, C-section, a bunch of general surgery operations, etc... Was a nice way to end my senior year.

I am SO jealous right now....

The Biology and Natural History of HIV/AIDS. The seminar moved from an in-depth, strictly biological study of HIV to its sociocultural, political, and deeply personal dimensions.

Anthropology of Violence.

I was curious to see what kind of cool classes people have taken/or will take. Next year I'm going to take a class called Protocols and Fundamentals of Surgery. The course description is pretty awesome:

"It has been well established that practical experience enhances didactic learning. The aim of this course is to expose students of engineering to the day to day aspects of working in an Operating Room and to understand the art and science of surgery so that they can better serve the surgical community when working in the medical field upon graduation. The lectures are supplemented with experiential learning in a hands-on, training operating room using synthetic and preserved animal specimens at Cornell’s prestigious School of Veterinary Medicine. Surgical scrub, gowning, gloving, instrumentation, suturing, internal fixation, as well as surgical documentation, pre and post operative protocols, aseptic technique and medical terminology will be explored."

Took an English class on Harry Potter. Best class eva!!! :clap:

Selected Topics in Human Genetics which was all about rare genetic disorders (fascinating!)
And Ornithology - we had to listen to the birds in the forest at 4 in the morning and there was a 2-week field trip during which we literally lived in the camp out in the wild.

Physiology was probably my favorite so far, and I'm taking UNE's medical biochem right now and I really like it. Nutrition related to fitness and sports was a good one as well.

Last edited:
For sciences, I liked Pharmacology, Genetics, and Cell biology a lot (the latter two are typically considered to be dry, but the professors were really funny and taught beyond just the scope of the material). Physiology was pretty cool too (especially after TAing for it - had time to enjoy the material more).

As for non sciences, I liked Science Fiction (a lit course) and an interesting course on youth culture in the age of Rock (another lit course!)

Cardiac Electrophysiology.
That was an undergrad class?
You're god damn right.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Reactions: 2 users

I had a cadaver. To myself. Did the whole dissection. My junior college had an awesome advanced anatomy program, required an interview to get in though.

Molecular basis of heart disease was also an awesome class, that was at my four year though.

I had a cadaver. To myself. Did the whole dissection. My junior college had an awesome advanced anatomy program, required an interview to get in though.

You don't need a community college course to slice open someone. You just have to abandon conviction. And enemies...

Jealous. Would have loved to take that class.

It was awesome, definitely sink or swim though. You had to review lots of articles and could be called on to present any portion of any article listed at any point in the class.

"Who Indeed: A Critical Analysis of Television's Who's the Boss?"

(srs, audited a class on sitcoms)

Parasitology....Loved it so much that I've been doing research in it for the past four years.

:barf:
I did not need that image in my head.

Are you really complaining about things you don't want in your head to me, the guy who had a parasite in his head? :rofl:

human cadaver dissection by far

Last edited:

I second this. Had a lot of fun, learned a ton, made great relationships with future physicians. Our professor is a chiropractor, so he made everything really clinical and interesting. Didn't focus on grades, but actually understanding the body and how/why it works.

Eukaryotic Gene Regulation

Explaining to people what that even meant outside of my major was just as fun as taking the course. But it was really interesting topic-wise too.

Violence as a Public Health Issue. Super interesting.

"Social Ethics for Earthlings and Others" Awesome, awesome introductory philosophy course. Class sessions usually included watching some sort of science fiction film or television and discussing the ethical implications. Midterm was a series of short essay answers in response to a screening of a Star Trek episode.

An English course I took on reproduction was awesome

I took a special topics in Biology course, Gene therapy

Very interesting subject to learn about

How did that work?

Great! We read a lot of stuff surrounding medicine and reproduction (think William Carlos Williams and the Handmaids Tale)

It's was super cool to look at scientific information from a different perspective basically