Cooper EM vs Umass EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterfly1959

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been having a very tough time ranking these two programs relative to each other. Was wondering if someone can shed some light on why they think one offers better training than the other? Can any senior residents or recent grads comment on their preparedness?

Both are well-respected departments in the hospital. Cooper sees more penetrating trauma due to the location. Location is not an issue for me btw (I'm from an east coast med school, and both are close to the city that I'm from). I had slightly better chemistry with the people at Cooper.

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been having a very tough time ranking these two programs relative to each other. Was wondering if someone can shed some light on why they think one offers better training than the other? Can any senior residents or recent grads comment on their preparedness?

Both are well-respected departments in the hospital. Cooper sees more penetrating trauma due to the location. Location is not an issue for me btw (I'm from an east coast med school, and both are close to the city that I'm from). I had slightly better chemistry with the people at Cooper.

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you!

Do you prefer living in a city (Phila) or blue-collar town (Worcester)? Are you also interested in research (go to UMass) or community policy (Cooper with Camden)?

I found both to be really solid programs. Ultimately it came down to living in Philly that edged out Cooper over UMass. Residents were cool at both places and I felt both programs would give solid clinical training.

As well, think about your career after residency - if you're thinking academics, UMass is better than Cooper (since you have the "University" faculty that comes with it).