Coram Infusion Closures ***edit and Optum WTH???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmgrlnxdor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like they are closing branches. Anyone know how many pharmacists will be laid off and which branches are being closed?

Add: Yesterday Coram...and today Optum. What is going on?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks like they are closing branches. Anyone know how many pharmacists will be laid off and which branches are being closed?

Add: Yesterday Coram...and today Optum. What is going on?
I've heard the same. Just came thru the grapevine today. I think it might be related to the MOU that's been debated the past several years where the FDA wants to tighten up oversight of compounded I.V.'s being shipped across state lines.
I think the MOU is supposed to take effect in October of this year.

Unfortunately our branch got the news today. No reason was given, the call that this was announced on was very short and vague (and they wouldn't take questions). I know of 3 branches in NY closing (there are only 4 in the entire state) but i know we are not the only state. No clear communication in writing so far.

We found out about Corum yesterday and we assumed that would mean we would be taking up their patients (and we have been doing very well ourselves) so this news was not expected at all. I feel really bad for the techs/support staff.

I actually really enjoyed the work and we were starting to get a really good team going - so this really really sucks. We were a complete emotional wreck today

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe 30-35 Coram branches will be closing by 7/31. I’ve heard the remaining branches will just be focusing on specialty biologics and will no longer do acute business (TPN, IV antibiotics, etc).

That makes sense about the MOU- we’re they compounding most in a centralized pharmacy and shipping across state lines?

I worked for Optum up until 3 years ago. The majority of our TPN's were shipped across state lines.

That sucks for all of you - but these services can't go away - it is more likely smaller local places open up? Sort of a like a reverse mail order, having more decentralized locations would actually mean more jobs? just trying to find some silver lining

Reactions: 1 user