Correct Your Intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep... most of us would fail step 1 if we had to take it right now.
But that's because the minutiae that's tested there isn't clinically relevant. It's a foundation. All you need to retain in active memory is the basic concepts.
Knowledge of which specific binding site is involved in Goodpastures doesn't help me much. For clinical practice, I know it's the basement membrane, but could really care less that it's the NC1 domain of the alpha-3 chain of type IV collagen. That's the sort of information that gets lost with time.

I think the most important thing is knowing of these things so that if it does become relevant, you know what to look for. There have been plenty of times when I was like oh yeah wasn't there a disease where blah blah blah and I looked it up. It's not there with me being able to rattle it off the top of my head but I do know where to find the information.

Members don't see this ad.

You're just looking for trouble
One of my intern was actually very grateful we had those pimping sessions, because his attending asked him the same set of questions the very next day. The attending was of course very impressed.

I think the most important thing is knowing of these things so that if it does become relevant, you know what to look for. There have been plenty of times when I was like oh yeah wasn't there a disease where blah blah blah and I looked it up. It's not there with me being able to rattle it off the top of my head but I do know where to find the information.

Right... it makes that little tickle in the back of your brain... "I've heard this before... this combination means something..."

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was still fresh from step 1, I was pimping my interns on these stuff. We had a lot of fun with this; we would take turn pimping each other. I bet you can even pimp your attendings on step 1 material, and the majority will know only detailed, basic information in their field.

Sounds like a good idea...

Been told simple things incorrectly by attendings a few times. I just go look it up after to reassure myself, but I didn't say anything because it's really not been anything essential. I figure it's just not worth it. Though I did have one FM doc who would regularly "pimp" me on things just because he couldn't remember (which he admit) and he'd laugh when I taught him, saying "oh man I totally forgot that!"