Cost for covid test for travel? options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at finally traveling out of the country - I have no idea, how much do the tests costs? and where can I go? (can I book through CVS and wags still?) - does anyone other than vault have a saliva test that counts? (for a little one that I am trying to limit the trauma of the nasal swab)

Members don't see this ad.

There are some tests that you can swab at home (gently) and mail back to the lab. Just not sure if the results would be accepted depending on the country

First, you need to figure out from Department of State about which countries have specific provider lists for tests (some do), then let those guide who you select.

Sweden does not need one, but Germany is particular about theirs:

Italy does in house on landing, and it's about $100 if they change back due to Delta. Otherwise, it's just the Green Certificate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rite aid is still doing them for free. It's a PCR test that takes 2-3 days to get results. Not sure about destination-specific requirements but if all you need is a nasal swab PCR then they'd work

Walgreens rapid ID now is free and took 40 minutes to come back. Problem is that not all Walgreens testing locations have this particular test, but I thought it was worth it to drive over an hour to a location that had it, to get a test that came back that quickly. The Walgreens site should tell you which locations have it, and you’ll have to make an appointment about 3 days out.