Cost of EMS Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TarHeelEMT

Converted Truck Surfer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is inspired by a comment on another thread, and I'm curious to know the answer, as it's widely variable.

How much does it cost to go all the way to paramedic in your state?

For me to go all the way through medic class, I probably spent about $350, including textbooks and equipment. North Carolina is insanely cheap to take the class in, because the tuition is waived once you're affiliated with an EMS agency, fire department, or rescue squad.

Even if tuition isn't waived, the total cost only goes up to about $650, but I've heard it costs thousands of dollars to get your certification in other states.

Members don't see this ad.

Base cost of Tuition at PBCC in Florida is as follows:

EMT-B: $800
Paramedic: $3600
Total: $4,400

Before you can enroll in each course you have to complete a background check at your own expense: $100 per check, you also need to get a physical with blood work and a PPD: $160, per class. Uniforms and gear runs whatever you want to spend, but you'll spend about $500 - $600 for those by the end of two years, unless you like doing laundry every other night. The Paramedic program requires the use of FISDAP which costs you $80. The EMT text cost about $100, the books for the Paramedic Program cost about $500.

You're looking at about $1500-$1800 in additional tuition and fees. Total cost is gonna be close to $6,000 for everything, and thats not including the Fire Academy, which you have to be a part of if you want to run ALS calls and not be part of a BLS transport service; at least in this County.

Tuition isn't waived if you're part of an EMS service, but you do get more points on your application for the program.

The cost of EMS education will be going up significantly soon. NHTSA (or NREMT not sure which org.) is going to be recommending that all new paramedics come with at least an AA degree. So this will require classwork at a college. Basic english, social sciences as well as general sciences will be the norm.

I am a graduate of UMBC's Paramedic program. A 4 yr, bachelors degree cost me over 105K including tuition (out of state), room and board, and various lab fees. However, I will never regret that cost. I feel as though many programs teach the formula based medicine (almost like ACLS now) but don't teach the reasoning why. I had a ride along who couldn't tell me why the state gave him the ability to give a glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor. But was excited because it was a new drug for him to use.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of people in my area disagree with the 2 year degree requirement but I think it’s a good way to go for many reasons. In Georgia they are only requiring 824 hours (total program didactic and clinical hours) for paramedic. I am in one of these programs and its just unreal. Only 2 of my classmates have had any General education college classes. It just seems like a bad formula since the class is just coasting through the program. When is the 2 year degree requirement mandate starting with the NREMT? Im hoping soon.

The cost of EMS education will be going up significantly soon. NHTSA (or NREMT not sure which org.) is going to be recommending that all new paramedics come with at least an AA degree. So this will require classwork at a college. Basic english, social sciences as well as general sciences will be the norm.

I am a graduate of UMBC's Paramedic program. A 4 yr, bachelors degree cost me over 105K including tuition (out of state), room and board, and various lab fees. However, I will never regret that cost. I feel as though many programs teach the formula based medicine (almost like ACLS now) but don't teach the reasoning why. I had a ride along who couldn't tell me why the state gave him the ability to give a glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor. But was excited because it was a new drug for him to use.

We all get trained to the same NHTSA/DOT curriculum. Some of us end up knowing more, some of us end up knowing less. It all has to do with the effort you're willing to put into it and the quality of your instructors. I can tell ya, I would never spend 105k on a Paramedic BS; when all is said and done I'll probably spend about 40k and have my Paramedic cert, my RN License and either a BSN or a BS in Public Administration.

I would love to reply by just posting "to much". I am located in Canada.

The various levels are as followed:

EMR: 1 month (weekends only)and $1,500
EMT: 1 year full time and $5,500 (not counting practicums costs)
EMT-P: 2 years full time and $20,000 (not counting practicum costs)

We all get trained to the same NHTSA/DOT curriculum. Some of us end up knowing more, some of us end up knowing less. It all has to do with the effort you're willing to put into it and the quality of your instructors. I can tell ya, I would never spend 105k on a Paramedic BS; when all is said and done I'll probably spend about 40k and have my Paramedic cert, my RN License and either a BSN or a BS in Public Administration.

See Mack, thats where we'll disagree, many are not taught to standards, they are taught to pass a test. While these tests show a baseline grasp of the skills and mindset that are required to function as an EMT-P, they in no way express mastery of these skills. Hence the reason why it will be a long and slow uphill battle to move from "certification" to "licensure". There are very few (last I remember only 4) in the US that have licensed paramedics. Many states are still using old protocols that prevent treatment and care using updated treatment modalities. For example, it wasn't until maybe 3-4 yrs ago, that paramedics in MD were allowed to give ASA for chest pain without online medical direction. They were able to give up 10 of MSO4, but had to ask for ASA. But I digress, the reason for this is because many paramedics come out of programs where they are focused on passing a test, and not the knowledge that will allow them to perform out in the field which allows them to pass the test as a byproduct.

And as a side note, how many of us have had a partner who's only interests are starting lines, running codes, and squirting water. Where their only reading material is JEMS, FireHouse, and maybe sports illustrated. Now granted, there are many who have gone through non-degree programs and are light years of intelligence ahead of me. But I can say that those numbers are starting to dwindle, and without a broad education focused on other subjects and topics, I feel that we as paramedics are doomed.

Sorry to preach, just my opinion, and hope nobody is offended. And if you are, then maybe its a good thing. Anger is a great motivation! Thats why I am where I am!

For me it was about $1,300 for everything: EMT-B course (10 credit hours), books, and uniform.

In Pittsburgh, the Community College of Allegheny County offers EMT-B classes for around $75, (3 nights plus Saturday each week for 10 weeks). The quality of instruction varies dramatically, so if you know people in your area who have taken the class in the past, it may be worth asking them about their experience and looking to take the class with a particular instructor.

EMT-P class runs around $500 at CCAC (12 hours per week, nights for 15 months). As other posters have pointed out, that doesn't include the cost of books and equipment. We also have some accelerated programs that cover training and clinical time in about 9 months for around $6000.

back in the day( 80's)
emt-1-a (now emt-b): free as a senior only high school class.
emt-p 1200 dollars. same program is now 12k.

snulma1,
You can always tell a UMBC man by his interchangable myUMBC login and SDN screenname.
Regards,
jkelly2

jkelly2,

heh heh, I just realized that I use this for almost all usernames. We are easy to spot I guess!