Cost of living as a dental student in Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roc Marciano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to work out whether or not it's worth it for me to apply to schools in Australia. I'm Canadian and there's a reciprocal agreement between our countries so there wouldn't be any problem coming back.

I've been doing some research and it's difficult to figure out how much I would be spending. I know it's highly variable depending on the cities and from what I've read, some are very expensive ie Sydney and Perth, while others are decent ie Orange.

But just how much would I be looking at? Searching around I've found that rent around the universities in the expensive cities like Sydney is crazy high and you could be spending 20k/year just on rent. 20k/year is a little more than the total I was spending living in Vancouver and going to UBC.

Would 30k/year be an accurate estimate for a place like Sydney if I factor in food, plane tickets (1 trip home per year), phone bills etc? Or is that too much (I would rather overestimate than underestimate)? I would be okay with rarely eating out or even going out in general in order to save money. However, I would prefer to live on my own and live close to campus.

And how about somewhere like Orange? 25k/year?

Just as a reference I was spending ~18k/year in Vancouver when I went to UBC. But I had roommates and was living in a small place.

Anyone here have experience living in Australia? Or has done research on the topic?

Thanks

(Also not too relevant but our dollar is a little bit more than the Australian dollar right now)

Members don't see this ad.