Cost of living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VailHaddock43

Reaction score
So I was looking at the different pod med schools around the country and some of the schools are in really high cost of living expense areas such as California and New York. My question is that schools being in these areas drastically add to your loan amounts to compensate for living these areas? From my undergrad experiences from going to school in Chicago is that it does to a good amount, so if anyone can chime in, that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Tens of thousands more in debt + interest. I’d say go for the school in the crappy location. Best of luck! :)

So I was looking at the different pod med schools around the country and some of the schools are in really high cost of living expense areas such as California and New York. My question is that schools being in these areas drastically add to your loan amounts to compensate for living these areas? From my undergrad experiences from going to school in Chicago is that it does to a good amount, so if anyone can chime in, that would be great!

They can add to the overall COA, which is why you should plan ahead in terms of choosing one program vs another.

Ideally, you should do everything to lower the overall debt and this is one of the reasons I tell students here to re-take their MCAT or up their stats more to increase their scholarship amount (lowering the overall debt).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They can add to the overall COA, which is why you should plan ahead in terms of choosing one program vs another.

Ideally, you should do everything to lower the overall debt and this is one of the reasons I tell students here to re-take their MCAT or up their stats more to increase their scholarship amount (lowering the overall debt).
Are these scholarships one time only or reoccurring?

Are these scholarships one time only or reoccurring?

It varies. Some students get a one-time amount only (just 1st sem), some get an amount that is divided within the 4-years, some get an amount that may reoccur if they keep their GPA to a specific range. You can apply for other scholarships from year 3 (like those from APMA).

Read the 2019-acceptance page to learn about the various amount offered.

Samuel Merritt estimated cost of living is $52,000, that's literally more than the tuition/fees to attend the program

Reactions: 1 users
Samuel Merritt estimated cost of living is $52,000, that's literally more than the tuition/fees to attend the program

I'm a current CSPM student and my COL is NOT that high. I live cheaply and watch my finances well. That is simply an estimate and dependent on how extravagant you want to live.

I'm a current CSPM student and my COL is NOT that high. I live cheaply and watch my finances well. That is simply an estimate and dependent on how extravagant you want to live.

Agreed with the above. They probably gave you that number and added things like books, transportation, health insurance, and other BS you don't need.
It should be a lot lower than that.

If you don't mind, what kind of rent prices are the average up there?

I’m a student there and my cost of living is right around that number. California definitely is not cheap.

I'm at Kent and my rent is $780 for internet with electricity, other utilities included in rent for a one bed / bath by myself. If COA is a huge factor for you, it's not too bad over here.

Reactions: 1 users
How high is the COL for a place like Philadelphia? I have thought about applying to Temple.

How high is the COL for a place like Philadelphia? I have thought about applying to Temple.

I believe it is one of the more affordable choices as far as Podiatry school goes. My friend that goes there pays less than half of what I do in rent here in Oakland.

I think it depends on how close you may want to be near the school and what you value in a place to live. For me, I was looking into an apartment within <10 min walk, extra security, and a gym so rent would be around 1400/1500. But if those aren’t needed, there could be apartment still within same walking distance but probably around 1200.

I think it depends on how close you may want to be near the school and what you value in a place to live. For me, I was looking into an apartment within <10 min walk, extra security, and a gym so rent would be around 1400/1500. But if those aren’t needed, there could be apartment still within same walking distance but probably around 1200.

That's insane! For $1200 you can get a beautiful high rise right in downtown Cleveland.

That's insane! For $1200 you can get a beautiful high rise right in downtown Cleveland.
yea it is. I’m in Cleveland now and my rent is $1100 for one bedroom and I’m like 10 mins from the school.
When I first moved to Philly for my masters, I was <5 min walk to the school but my rent for studio was $1400 . I love philly but the cost tho is .

Hi! I'm at westernU, and though CA is known for being a bit expensive, in Pomona area cities (chino, clairmont, upland) you can find reasonable rent. Of course, it won't be as cheap as rent is in many states, but I have classmates who have found rooms to rent for $600 and up, or 2 bed apartments for $1800, it really depends on the type of annemities you would like. WesternU has some "deluxe" apartments on campus (they even offer free laundry), gym, pool etc, and they can be on the expensive side, but there are also other apartments in the area that are cheaper, plus if you don't mind having roomates, plenty of houses and apartments to rent with other students, even if they are in a different program. The cost of living anywhere can add up to your loans, but the way I see it is an investment unless you are a super person ( i know a few of those) I can't imagine working while going through school, it's not impossible but I've seen it can be very tough. Also, remember you don't have to take the maximum amount of loans the school offers you, you can take just what you need. Good luck!