Counseling Psychologists and Forensics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epak333

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm looking into possibly applying to some PhD programs in counseling psych and I was wondering what the likelihood is/if it's even possible for counseling psychologists to work with forensic populations? I know that to be a psychologist for the BOP (which is my goal) you can either be clinical or counseling, but I wasn't sure if there were ways or if it's common for counseling psychologists to work with other forensic populations (juvenile corrections, victims of sexual or other crimes, or any other forensically involved groups).

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I know counseling psychologists who work at BOPs, state hospitals, juvenile corrections centers, sexual addiction treatment facilities, etc. Counseling psychologists can also do assessment in these areas, such as competency assessments, fitness for work assessments, or disability assessments. Its really about finding programs that can offer you some externship placements in sites related to the forensic populations that you are interested in so you will be more competitive for pre-doctoral internships that will expand your training in these areas.

Reactions: 2 users
A license is a license. That being said, correctional psych (which you are describing) is different from forensic psych (the application of psych science to help in addressing/answering psycho-legal questions).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I know counseling psychologists who work at BOPs, state hospitals, juvenile corrections centers, sexual addiction treatment facilities, etc. Counseling psychologists can also do assessment in these areas, such as competency assessments, fitness for work assessments, or disability assessments. Its really about finding programs that can offer you some externship placements in sites related to the forensic populations that you are interested in so you will be more competitive for pre-doctoral internships that will expand your training in these areas.
This is great to hear, thanks! I have found a few counseling programs with faculty who's research is forensic/correctional related so I'll keep this in mind as I keep looking.

A license is a license. That being said, correctional psych (which you are describing) is different from forensic psych (the application of psych science to help in addressing/answering psycho-legal questions).
Yes I'm aware of this, I guess I was just saying I could see myself doing either correctional or forensic. I know counseling psychologists can work in prisons and with "forensic populations", but I guess clinical psychologists do the actual forensic/psych and law work, like testifying as an expert witness, competency evals, etc?

Yes I'm aware of this, I guess I was just saying I could see myself doing either correctional or forensic. I know counseling psychologists can work in prisons and with "forensic populations", but I guess clinical psychologists do the actual forensic/psych and law work, like testifying as an expert witness, competency evals, etc?

Counseling psychologists do this as well if they have the requisite training.

Reactions: 1 user
Counseling psychologists do this as well if they have the requisite training.
Oh okay, that's pretty cool! Just given how competitive clinical PhD programs are, I was looking into throwing some counseling programs in the mix to maximize the number of programs I'm applying to. Just wanted to make sure I could still achieve what I want career wise down the road if I pursued that route.

Hi!
I completed a counseling psychology program, a pre-doctoral forensic internship, and now completing a forensic fellowship. If you are going to a counseling psych program, I feel its important to get what forensic experience you can. I completed 2.5 years of forensic practicum and my dissertation had a *slight* forensic feel.

With that being said, the BOP is correctional psychology. When applying to BOP correctional internships, they definitely favor clinical program students, but will still occasionally accept counseling psych students.

There are a decent amount of forensic and correctional internships on the list. If you get one with the BOP, you're likely to stay in the BOP, orrr if you decide correctional isn't for you, can switch over for fellowship/job.

Between prac and internship and fellowship and other experiences, I know tons of psychologists in both forensics and correctional and its a wide variety of Counseling vs Combined vs Clinical Ph.Ds and PsyDs so don't throw out counseling psych programs because many of them are very similar to clinical programs. Nobody at work asks me if I am clinical or counseling as we are regarded as the same. We are just "psychologists"

I will say that in correctional psychology, it seems to be more treatment focused as a staff psychologist. In most states, the position is just called "psychologist" unless you are boarded in forensics and then you are a forensic psychologist. Starting soon, the BOP will require licensure for all psychologists and have been discussing requiring boards for forensic evaluators. If you want a strictly eval job, I would span the horizons out but it really depends on what you may wanna do down the road!

Luckily....unless in private practice, correctional/forensic psych jobs typically are included in student loan forgiveness after that 10 year, # of payment deal if loans are on the table with you.

I know multiple counseling PhDs who are very skilled evaluators. That was a function of getting the right predoctoral training, internship, and in all cases, doing a formal forensic fellowship. It wouldn't be an automatic disqualifier by any means.

Reactions: 1 users
I know multiple counseling PhDs who are very skilled evaluators. That was a function of getting the right predoctoral training, internship, and in all cases, doing a formal forensic fellowship. It wouldn't be an automatic disqualifier by any means.

I haven't yet met a neuropsychologist involved in IMEs/forensic work who did a forensic fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't yet met a neuropsychologist involved in IMEs/forensic work who did a forensic fellowship.
I was talking anecdotally about the non-neuro, counseling folks I know that ended up in forensics. Should have clarified! My apologies!

I was talking anecdotally about the non-neuro, counseling folks I know that ended up in forensics. Should have clarified! My apologies!
Also probably relates to the setting and type of forensic work (e.g., corrections vs. civil medicolegal work).

Eric Mart (i.e., author of Getting Started in Forensic Psychology Practice) got his doctorate in school psychology, so counseling folks can definitely end up in forensics as well.