Psychologists and Food

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Made the ~400 mile drive down to Los Angeles yesterday. It’s impossible to pass through the Central Valley without stopping for tacos.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_6875.jpeg
    IMG_6875.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: 4 users
Looking for chef knives recommendations. Middle tier, something a little nicer the box store offerings. Victorinox seems to be popular among the amateur chef crowd. Any recs?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We've had our
Looking for chef knives recommendations. Middle tier, something a little nicer the box store offerings. Victorinox seems to be popular among the amateur chef crowd. Any recs?
We've had a Zwilling Henckels (from a low-end block set) for 20+ years. A la carter you can get one for ~$100, which is only a unit or so of 96137 more than a victorinox. We have an inexpensive chefs choice brand sharpener that keeps the knives working well.

MAC knives are pretty solid for the price. Misono is pretty good and has some varying price points. If German-made is more your feel, Wusthof does some pretty good mid-tier stuff. I'm assuming mid-tier is something in the 100-250 range here?

I swear by my wusthof chai dao, if you are open to a chef's knife alternative and want the best knife for chopping veg

Here is knife tour:
View attachment 377490
  • Starting from the left, is big dexter slicer (it's like 25 inches long). I use it exclusively for brisket and turkey breast.
  • I use the white handle fillet or boning knife a lot (7th from the left). Usually to trim things before cooking and to break down a chicken. It might be the knife I'm most attached to. Came in a two pack from costco.
  • The black handle ones are from a wedding wusthof set that I like. The blade is thin and it's easy to do some fine cutting with.
  • We have the plastic handle Victorinox because my wife hate chefs knives. I plan on eventually growing it's size until she's comfortable using a proper chefs knife. It's fine. Maybe I'll get the six or seven incher and hide that one lol.
  • But, I got this one big boy (8" Chinese Santoku Cleaver with Classic Walnut Handle), and reach for it more and more. It's fun and I like that I can really fence cuts with my knuckles on the large blade. Bonus: as veggies stick to it, it's easy to use it as a scraper when chopping and transfering.
They're all pretty economical. But the most important thing is the ability easily sharpen them. That's why I buy cheaper knives. So I dont have fuss about them rusting and I just use one of these accusharps, every so often: Amazon product

They're fast and they don't really take off much material.

I kind of want to play with a carbon steel knife japanese knife and get good at sharpening, but I dont have time for that :(

These are cool: Professional High End Kitchen Cutlery - Quality Kitchen Knives | Benchmade, esp the station and meatcrafter.

Also, form is really important.

Attachments

• 1696874439759.png
    1696874439759.png
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: 1 users
Here is knife tour:
View attachment 377490
  • Starting from the left, is big dexter slicer (it's like 25 inches long). I use it exclusively for brisket and turkey breast.
  • I use the white handle fillet or boning knife a lot (7th from the left). Usually to trim things before cooking and to break down a chicken. It might be the knife I'm most attached to. Came in a two pack from costco.
  • The black handle ones are from a wedding wusthof set that I like. The blade is thin and it's easy to do some fine cutting with.
  • We have the plastic handle Victorinox because my wife hate chefs knives. I plan on eventually growing it's size until she's comfortable using a proper chefs knife. It's fine. Maybe I'll get the six or seven incher and hide that one lol.
  • But, I got this one big boy (8" Chinese Santoku Cleaver with Classic Walnut Handle), and reach for it more and more. It's fun and I like that I can really fence cuts with my knuckles on the large blade. Bonus: as veggies stick to it, it's easy to use it as a scraper when chopping and transfering.
They're all pretty economical. But the most important thing is the ability easily sharpen them. That's why I buy cheaper knives. So I dont have fuss about them rusting and I just use one of these accusharps, every so often: Amazon product

They're fast and they don't really take off much material.

I kind of want to play with a carbon steel knife japanese knife and get good at sharpening, but I dont have time for that :(

These are cool: Professional High End Kitchen Cutlery - Quality Kitchen Knives | Benchmade, esp the station and meatcrafter.

Also, form is really important.

Don't forget the "bash and chop" on the cutting board. Mine gets a lot of use.

Sorry for all the posts, but this thread was made for me! Falk in New England is the best, and calls for hearty meals that fill the house with amazing aromas for hours. Today’s feast is pot roast with homemade biscuits, with apple crisp (macoun, Macintosh, cortland, and Granny Smith) for desert, topped with vanilla ice cream, of course! You’re all invited over next time!
IMG_4544.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Potato, chickpea, and spinach curry, tandoori-ish grilled chicken, basmati, and naan, with mint and mango chutney. All homemade except the mango chutney (too much of a process and can’t get great mangoes). Accompanied by an Australian Riesling.
IMG_4555.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Chicken Katsu sandwiches and katsu on rice with a slaw salad/topping on the sandwich.
katsu sandwhich.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I've that dude on tiktok who makes depression cakes. What was in it? One of my favorite swaps is applesauce for oil in baking.
I love that guy! He has tackled some odd recipes, but they somehow work really well.

As for cooking options: crockpot/Instapot for soups, chili, and pulled pork. An air-fryer has been a game-changer. I use it most for chicken breasts/thighs, salmon, and veggies.

I love that guy! He has tackled some odd recipes, but they somehow work really well.

As for cooking options: crockpot/Instapot for soups, chili, and pulled pork. An air-fryer has been a game-changer. I use it most for chicken breasts/thighs, salmon, and veggies.
I've been looking at buying an outdoor pizza oven, or even making one from bricks I find in alleys and during bulk trash pick up. But, there does seem to be a bit of used ones on the FB, offer up, and craigs list. Does anyone have any guidance?

I've been looking at buying an outdoor pizza oven, or even making one from bricks I find in alleys and during bulk trash pick up. But, there does seem to be a bit of used ones on the FB, offer up, and craigs list. Does anyone have any guidance?

I had been thinking about doing this or getting an Ooni. However, I really liked the results I got with a cast iron pizza pan on my outdoor grill, so investigating that further first. It gets up to 5-600 degrees so it does a great approximation of the real thing.

Also, since this is the food thread...my wife baked pumpkin bread for breakfast...woohoo!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've been really loving this YouTuber's channel.

He's also the same guy that does test like these.

Fun to listen to and pretty useful advice. I like how he breaks down the science behind it.

Reactions: 3 users
Even though I have a smoker (pit barrel cooker), I kind of want to get this pellet attachment for my weber kettle that seldom gets used anymore. Spider-22

It's only 200 bucks.

IMG_0925.jpeg

Perks of living with farmers? This is a tree tomato (tomate de arbol), we picked about 250+lbs today.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Apparently there's a new law in Massachusetts and a few other states that has significantly limited/temporarily eliminated access to pork belly! I'm a very strong supported of my commonwealth's progressive legislation, but this might be taking it a little too far! Other sad news is that apparently lard is a "seasonal" ingredient at my 2 local supermarkets. Barring a trip to another state for pork belly and a specialty store for lard, I'll be using sweet Italian sausage instead of pork belly, and browning it in olive olive instead of lard, with some pork ribs and chuck steak as part of tomorrow's day of Italian cooking and baking. If you can guess what I'm making from what I've mentioned above, I'll save you a plate!

• Wow
Apparently there's a new law in Massachusetts and a few other states that has significantly limited/temporarily eliminated access to pork belly! I'm a very strong supported of my commonwealth's progressive legislation, but this might be taking it a little too far! Other sad news is that apparently lard is a "seasonal" ingredient at my 2 local supermarkets. Barring a trip to another state for pork belly and a specialty store for lard, I'll be using sweet Italian sausage instead of pork belly, and browning it in olive olive instead of lard, with some pork ribs and chuck steak as part of tomorrow's day of Italian cooking and baking. If you can guess what I'm making from what I've mentioned above, I'll save you a plate!

The pigs appreciate your sacrifice. They are living high on the hog now!

Putting Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

What is the reason for limiting pork belly? I usually do some sort of pork belly dinner every other month or so.

What is the reason for limiting pork belly? I usually do some sort of pork belly dinner every other month or so.

The mass and California laws are about limiting cruel raising conditions. This seems misguided. Pigs are intelligent and cute. But they go feral in weeks and will try to attack you.

Nationally, I think the current pork belly shortage is due to a combination of a swine based disease in china resulting in increased exports, and the US killing off a bunch of their breeding herd the other year when pork prices went way up.

I think it more about pig raising practice standards, which the two main local grocery store suppliers of pork belly dont yet comply to. I can still get it probably at a butcher where they cut there own meat. For this recipe, sausage works fine.

ETA- the ribs, sausage, and beef are currently stewing in the wine, awaiting the addition of the tomato puree and the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon stewing. House smells great. Already made the panna cotta- dairy free recipe using coconut cream due to family member lactose issues. It's also a vegan recipe (agar agar instead of gelatin), which is kinda funny given the 3 pounds of various animal flesh on the stove now). Off to the gym while it cooks (I can no longer eat like this without drastic consequences), and then home to make the bread, drink Amaro and Limoncello (not mixed together), and NOT do any real work. Dinner is at ~4pm- you bring the chianti.

Last edited:
I think it more about pig raising practice standards, which the two main local grocery store suppliers of pork belly dont yet comply to. I can still get it probably at a butcher where they cut there own meat. For this recipe, sausage works fine.

ETA- the ribs, sausage, and beef are currently stewing in the wine, awaiting the addition of the tomato puree and the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon stewing. House smells great. Already made the panna cotta- dairy free recipe using coconut cream due to family member lactose issues. It's also a vegan recipe (agar agar instead of gelatin), which is kinda funny given the 3 pounds of various animal flesh on the stove now). Off to the gym while it cooks (I can no longer eat like this without drastic consequences), and then home to make the bread, drink Amaro and Limoncello (not mixed together), and NOT do any real work. Dinner is at ~4pm- you bring the chianti.

Will there be liver and fava beans?

• Haha
I kind of want this thingy:

It seems to add the benefits of smoke with the ease of electricity...
I found a dude selling one new in box on craigslist for !160 and bought it. It's cool to make some dough, slap some stuff on it, and in three minutes @700 degrees, it turns into pizza!

I found a dude selling one new in box on craigslist for !160 and bought it. It's cool to make some dough, slap some stuff on it, and in three minutes @700 degrees, it turns into pizza!
This is the kind of plug I need in my life.

This is the kind of plug I need in my life.
It was a little shady NGL. He first showed up with a ninja grill. He said he could get the oven, no problem. Said something about him returning a xmas gift, but walmart not giving him cash at walmart. The next day, he shows up with the oven... I googled his name, and he def got busted in 2006 for a fake check scam and the state court records showed a charge for "dangerous" drugs in 2014. Good reviews for his sales on marketplace/offerup/etc.

Dude is a nice guy tho. I wonder if he finds items at thrift stores or something that you can return to big box stores and get gift certs for.

It was a little shady NGL. He first showed up with a ninja grill. He said he could get the oven, no problem. Said something about him returning a xmas gift, but walmart not giving him cash at walmart. The next day, he shows up with the oven... I googled his name, and he def got busted in 2006 for a fake check scam and the state court records showed a charge for "dangerous" drugs in 2014. Good reviews for his sales on marketplace/offerup/etc.

Dude is a nice guy tho. I wonder if he finds items at thrift stores or something that you can return to big box stores and get gift certs for.

Or he is a fence and you received stolen goods.

• Haha
Or he is a fence and you received stolen goods.
:rofl: Almost no chance this guy is a fence.

He likely stole the items himself. Or at least stole the original item that he returned without a receipt to Walmart.

:rofl: Almost no chance this guy is a fence.

He likely stole the items himself. Or at least stole the original item that he returned without a receipt to Walmart.

I mean, if you are selling what you stole yourself, aren't you an amateur fence, really?

But yes. It is possible what he stole is a credit card number and did the savvy thing of buying as many gift cards as possible before the theft was noticed. Now he is converting those gift cards into cash the slow way.