Couples Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDoc2323

Reaction score
I know it's hard to determine but what's the normal amount of spots a couple will fall? Do most still match in their top 10 combined ranks?

Members don't see this ad.

And it totally depends on how competitive each applicant is individually for his or her chosen field. For example, a couple from med school that I know matched at their overall number 1 combo because they were both rock stars; another couple fell pretty far down their list because one of the couple was significantly less competitive than the other.

Reactions: 1 user
Had another question related to couples match:

For our rank order list, now that we are limited to only 300 ranks, would it be better to
a. list 300 ranks where we both match or
b. save some room at the end for individual matches

In the past there was no limit, so we could do like 700 ranks (which is what we are dealing with), but now we have to shave that down. Is there any advantage with A vs B?

Had another question related to couples match:

For our rank order list, now that we are limited to only 300 ranks, would it be better to
a. list 300 ranks where we both match or
b. save some room at the end for individual matches

In the past there was no limit, so we could do like 700 ranks (which is what we are dealing with), but now we have to shave that down. Is there any advantage with A vs B?

You two need to be honest with yourselves and each other about the relative strengths of your applications. If one person is much stronger than the other, then putting some ranks where that person matches and the other doesn’t may be useful. If you both are equally strong, then that might not be necessary.

You two need to be honest with yourselves and each other about the relative strengths of your applications. If one person is much stronger than the other, then putting some ranks where that person matches and the other doesn’t may be useful. If you both are equally strong, then that might not be necessary.

alright, thanks for advice. We are roughly the same, maybe partner slightly better, so I guess we should go for option A