Covid = back.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All of these ideas are good and it's the approach I support. But I'm not sure those qualify as vaccine "mandates" with the full force of the federal government. They're all pretty soft, optional and give vaccine skeptics and easy out, if the only consequence of non-compliance is that you can't do something or go somewhere. It's give people lots of ways to evade and adapt.

However, a true government mandate, i.e. required by federal law, is what I was asking about. How would you enforce that? And what punishment would you suggest for those refusing?
No social security payments
No Medicare/Medicaid
No federal student loans
No passports issued
No DEA issued

what else does the federal govt do? The unvaccinated don’t get to participate

The can hurt you if they choose to do so

The other of course is higher insurance premiums for the unvaccinated… we do it for smokers now so could easily see the insurance companies start to do this…

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Have not had to admit a single vaccinated covid positive patient so far. Even sent a 85yo vaccinated covid+ home the other, because he had mild symptoms and looked too good to benefit from a hospital stay.

Well, all my covid pt are now dead. Down to zero currently.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't had the chance to use it, try to get access to baricitinib. We've been using it since the ACTT-2 trial and it's been amazing for the intubated/BiPAP/HFNC crowd. Since the Cov-Barrier trial was released in June, it's been on the NIH protocol as well.

ACTT-2: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2031994
COV-Barrier: Baricitinib plus Standard of Care for Hospitalized Adults with COVID-19

NIH:
"For recently hospitalized patients (i.e., those who are within 3 days of hospital admission) who have rapidly increasing oxygen needs, require high-flow oxygen or noninvasive ventilation, and have increased markers of inflammation, add baricitinib (BIIa) or tocilizumab (BIIa) (drugs are listed alphabetically) to one of the two options above."

Reactions: 1 user
Let them get COVID if they don't want the shot. Good for them.

I totally agree with this sentiment but the problem is if they all get COVID, then infection rates will be elevated for months which will affect the economy, people being able to get back to work, finding work, stock market shenanigans, and a variety of other preventable things. I say we let them pay their own bills.

Reactions: 3 users
what else does the federal govt do? The unvaccinated don’t get to participate

The can hurt you if they choose to do so

The other of course is higher insurance premiums for the unvaccinated… we do it for smokers now so could easily see the insurance companies start to do this…

Ooh....I like this one

Last edited:
If you haven't had the chance to use it, try to get access to baricitinib. We've been using it since the ACTT-2 trial and it's been amazing for the intubated/BiPAP/HFNC crowd. Since the Cov-Barrier trial was released in June, it's been on the NIH protocol as well.

COV-Barrier: Baricitinib plus Standard of Care for Hospitalized Adults with COVID-19

NIH:
"For recently hospitalized patients (i.e., those who are within 3 days of hospital admission) who have rapidly increasing oxygen needs, require high-flow oxygen or noninvasive ventilation, and have increased markers of inflammation, add baricitinib (BIIa) or tocilizumab (BIIa) (drugs are listed alphabetically) to one of the two options above."

Havent tried baricitinib will have to see if we can get it even. Weve been using tocilizumab however.

Always the ray of sunshine.

learn to speak like an admin:
“We have successfully reduced our covid census to zero!”

Followed by some variation of “Who wants a pizza party to substitute for the will to live?” After all, its a great alternative to appropriate staffing or compensation.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Always the ray of sunshine.

learn to speak like an admin:
“We have successfully reduced our covid census to zero!”

Followed by some variation of “Who wants a pizza party to substitute for the will to live?” After all, its a great alternative to appropriate staffing or compensation.

This shouldn’t be funny, but it is oh so true…

The list of completely asinine things I’ve had to fight with administrators about during this pandemic is ridiculous

NIH:

Would love to see a 3 arm trial between high dose methylpred, toci and bari…
My guess is they’d be equivalent, but maybe w/ different side effect profiles. Does bari have the same association with fungal superinfections toci does? (I think I’ve heard that…)

Would love to see a 3 arm trial between high dose methylpred, toci and bari…
My guess is they’d be equivalent, but maybe w/ different side effect profiles. Does bari have the same association with fungal superinfections toci does? (I think I’ve heard that…)
I've heard it, but I haven't seen it, especially compared to steroids. The problem with steroids is that they aren't really tapered off unless the patient improves, whereas Toci is one, maybe two, doses and Bari is a 14 day course regardless of the course.

Members don't see this ad :)

Curious as to what you think.

Lot of truths in that video. I fully expect the Delta wave to be collapsing throughout the South within the next 2 weeks. Missouri already seems to have peaked. Overall it will seem less precipitous than the UK collapse because of our larger and more diverse geography. We'll probably have a couple good months and then it'll be back in the fall.

Curious as to what you think.

"It depends."

These regions are showing what it looks like to get over the hump to herd immunity via infection, rather than vaccination. Cases will indeed drop off, but the damage is being done. There's almost 300 people on ventilators from COVID in Missouri already; the "collapse of the surge" won't affect them.

Also, if we're still a couple weeks away from peak – that's still too far away.

1628030798013.png

Reactions: 1 users
We have no available ICU bed and all our ECMO machines are in use now. We have 85 COVID admissions currently. Down from our peak of 180 during the third wave, but not an insignificant number.
...and here is the negative externality for the anti-Vaxx crowd... I hope ya'll don't need an ICU for a non-COVID reason while all the anti-vaxxers are sucking up resources left and right because their freedum minimal direct consequences.

The lack of ICU beds is why being antivaxx is like supporting the liberty to drive drunk.

Reactions: 7 users
Well apparently we are now at a 70% vaccination rate for adults, for at least the first dose.

Last edited:
Well apparently we are now at a 70% vaccination rate for adults, for at least the first dose.
I wonder what the numbers are if you add those who have been vaccinated and those who have natural immunity.

I wonder what the numbers are if you add those who have been vaccinated and those who have natural immunity.
At least in my neck of the woods, natural immunity doesn’t seem to do much for preventing getting sick from Delta.

At least in my neck of the woods, natural immunity doesn’t seem to do much for preventing getting sick from Delta.
By getting sick, do you mean hospitalized or sick but able to stay home?

It's hard for me to believe that anyone has made it through the past 2 years unscathed without either being exposed to the virus in the wild or through more artificial means with the vaccine. Immunity isn't ever 100% and instead falls on a spectrum that varies over time as it's still possible to become infected or a carrier despite varying degrees of immunity. I think SARS-CoV-2 is going to become endemic, continuing to mutate and evolve, intermittently reinfecting people for years to come to a lesser degree and overall population burden than the brunt we've experience during the pandemic to date.

What are you seeing? The data out of Israel seems to suggest you are far more likely to become infected after vaccination than after previous infection. Fairly consistently about 1% of their serious cases are in previously infected people vs ~50% for vaccinated. Very anecdotally that seems about right in my area.... but its so hard to tell.

What are you seeing? The data out of Israel seems to suggest you are far more likely to become infected after vaccination than after previous infection. Fairly consistently about 1% of their serious cases are in previously infected people vs ~50% for vaccinated. Very anecdotally that seems about right in my area.... but its so hard to tell.
I have significant difficulty believing the Israeli data applies to what I’m seeing. Unvaccinated with prior infection seems to track pretty similar to unvaccinated first timers. Good protoplasm goes home, bad protosplasm gets really sick. Vaccinated immunocompetent (mostly septuagenarians in my setting) go home and bounce back a couple of times without desatting or being admitted. Vaccinated immunocompromised seem to be getting rogered by Delta and track similar to unvaccinated.

Hi all,
Are you seeing what's being reported in this article?

Personally, no. Also no one has “begged for the vaccine” just before they go on the vent as I’ve also read about in the media. But maybe that’s just me.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to believe that anyone has made it through the past 2 years unscathed without either being exposed to the virus in the wild or through more artificial means with the vaccine.
I know a few that are incredibly fearful of COVID and equally as fearful of the vaccine and have had very little exposure to anything the past 2 years, living as virtual hermits.

• Wow
Hi all,
Are you seeing what's being reported in this article?
To be honest, no I haven’t seen a single case of critically ill in 20s and 30s (though I’m sure it exists.) I have seen critically ill in the 40s during this wave, but I saw that last wave too. Unsure of vaccination status.

single center data point from today
10 covid pts in our ICU (~20 more non-critical but I am not on that unit)
8 unvaccinated
1 vaccinated but immunosupressed
1 recurrent disease
overall I think they are younger that the previous waves, but don't have onjective numbers to back that up

We have several on ECMO/vents that are in their 20's and 30's. All are either obese or have comorbidities. We in the South like our biscuits and gravy, which is likely an independent risk factor for severe COVID. Seriously though, we only have 1 in ICU that is >50 years of age. The others are younger. So it's hitting younger people moreso probably because a higher percentage of elderly are vaccinated.

We have several on ECMO/vents that are in their 20's and 30's. All are either obese or have comorbidities. We in the South like our biscuits and gravy, which is likely an independent risk factor for severe COVID. Seriously though, we only have 1 in ICU that is >50 years of age. The others are younger. So it's hitting younger people moreso probably because a higher percentage of elderly are vaccinated.
We have 2 pediatric patients on ECMO for COVID ARDS. And apparently one pediatric patient died last week from the same.

• Wow
  • Dislike
I just think it is insane that you are putting ecmo cannula in these people. What a complete waste of resources.

• Love
I have significant difficulty believing the Israeli data applies to what I’m seeing. Unvaccinated with prior infection seems to track pretty similar to unvaccinated first timers. Good protoplasm goes home, bad protosplasm gets really sick. Vaccinated immunocompetent (mostly septuagenarians in my setting) go home and bounce back a couple of times without desatting or being admitted. Vaccinated immunocompromised seem to be getting rogered by Delta and track similar to unvaccinated.
That doesn't match up with any data published so far that I've seen on recovered antibodies and reinfections...or my own experience. All the cohorts studied showed a good immune response after infection and very rare reinfections. ..for how long is still being followed, but they all support that the immune system works...and it's a good thing since the vaccine depends on it
Question: Do these pts have prior documented infections and a normal immune systems, or are they ones that assumed the flu-like illness they got last Nov was "definitely covid" based on self diagnosis, because I think that happened a lot last fall in my area. When pressed further, their reinfection was really their first infection. I'm seeing a steady flow that are non recovered, non vaccinated ...and none of them are young and healthy....either over 50 , obese or lung issues. This consistency was a bit reassuring that risk was predictable, so I really hope that what you are experiencing is an outlier,misrepresentation by pts, or some other explanation.

Last edited:
Several are in their 20's. You would just give up?

They gave up on themselves when they refused the vaccine. Why should the rest of us have to deal with their poor decision making? Already there are hospitals in Arkansas losing staff due to burnout because of this never ending nightmare.

They gave up on themselves when they refused the vaccine. Why should the rest of us have to deal with their poor decision making? Already there are hospitals in Arkansas losing staff due to burnout because of this never ending nightmare.
So we don't treat the STEMI because someone is overweight, we don't treat the trauma because they didn't wear their seat belt? That's essentially what you're saying.

Look, there are only so many doctors, nurses and hospital beds to go around. If there's a rash of hundreds of thousands of stemis at the same time you can't be cathing and icu boarding everyone.

I just think it is insane that you are putting ecmo cannula in these people. What a complete waste of resources.

A large portion, if not a majority of conditions treated in hospitals, are self inflicted. Why do you suggest abandoning anti-vaxxers that are near death, yet you give a get-out-of-death-free pass to end-stage cirrhotics, diabetics, unbelted drivers and smokers with lung cancer?

Last edited:
Several are in their 20's. You would just give up?
I’ve taken care of COVID ecmo. The fact is that once they are at that point, it doesn’t matter that they were a 25 year old marathon runner. They stay on the ECMO cannula for 3 months until they eventually clot/sepsis/code. Their scarred lungs are the problem, which is irreversible. It should not be an indication for ECMO. It’s not giving up anymore than calling an asystole 50 minute downtime code is giving up. That person is dead.

I’ve taken care of COVID ecmo. The fact is that once they are at that point, it doesn’t matter that they were a 25 year old marathon runner. They stay on the ECMO cannula for 3 months until they eventually clot/sepsis/code. Their scarred lungs are the problem, which is irreversible. It should not be an indication for ECMO. It’s not giving up anymore than calling an asystole 50 minute downtime code is giving up. That person is dead.
I'm curious if you've seen anything published on the survival rate of COVID patients that go on ECMO. Obviously, it's very low, but it would be interesting to see if the survival is stratified by risk factors, like overall COVID mortality is, or if it's equally high across the board, independent of risk factors, as you're implying.

So, nobody survives ECMO?