*Creating an Informal Post-Doc??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDGurl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested if there are any posters that have created informal post docs and what that process looked like for them? Do most agencies expect you to come in with a proposal and funding or will they work with you? I'm not referring to neuro post docs (just to clarify)....just the range of other specialties that one might like to gain extra training in.

Members don't see this ad.

By informal do you just mean not through APPIC?

Most post -docs aren't in appic. I think they just meant one that does not already exist. In which case, yes, one would certainly need to figure out how they can generate revenue to justify their salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also check on requirements for billing and reimbursement. What a postdoc with a limited license can do will differ from state to state.

A friend of mine did her postdoctoral hours in a group private practice setting and then stayed in the same place to start her independent practice. She couldn't bill third party payers directly on a limited license, so the financials were rough in the early months. But it worked out in the end.

My post doc hours were all accrued in such an "informal" manner. I had a staff position (e.g. real job) where I was given supervision by a licensed psychologist. In each setting (private special education school for children with ASD and school consult services out of a hospital based specialty pediatrics clinic) my services were mainly billed to entities that did not require a license, but with responsibilities in line with those of a psychologist. I did a smattering of clinic based assessment and social skills/Barkley Defiant Children groups (not sure how or these wee billed). I'd suggest making sure that such an arrangement meets requirements of any jurisdiction you want to be licensed in (which I did), as well as have some sort of training plan/ contract for supervision in place (which I didn't do, but didn't have any issues with, fortunately!).

Reactions: 1 user
My post doc hours were all accrued in such an "informal" manner. I had a staff position (e.g. real job) where I was given supervision by a licensed psychologist.
similar as clinicalABA- postdoc as a staff psychologist while studying for EPPP. Worked out well for me. If it's held me back to do it this way, I wouldnt know. Not once have I been asked about it. I've been licensed for 2 years now.