Creatives in Medicine - Where are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catmullclark

Magician
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Artists, musicians, producers, photographers, cinematographers, etc. where you at? What/who inspires you to continue creating at the same time that you're pursuing medicine?

New: Given that so many of you have these creative interests outside of medicine, what's on your radar right now in terms of medical specialties?

I'll start:
Nesskain hks (Nesskain - Comic Artist)
Simon Holmedal's Work (Technical Director - 3D Animation)
Alexey Kashpersky (Recently discovered - 3D Medical Art)

Bonus if you're applying Class of 2022, let's talk!

HIV Virus by Alexey Kashpersky
HIV_wide.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Photographer/painter/designer chiming in! I guess I’m just inspired by everything around me. I can’t not be creating and designing. What about you?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Photographer/painter/designer chiming in! I guess I’m just inspired by everything around me. I can’t not be creating and designing. What about you?

Painter/Illustrator/Musician here! Are you already in school or will you be making the time to continue creating in your free time when you are?

Also it's sort of suffocating not being able to share work for anonymity's sake, but if you're ever feeling the need to talk/reciprocate critique, feel free to PM! I'd love to see what you're cooking up.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a musician for a while. For a few years, I was a pro session musician and recorded some albums and toured a bit around the Northeast. I still try to play 4-5 times per week (just in my basement), but sometimes it goes down to 1-2.

Also, I'm not sure if you'd consider it creative, but I build furniture. Like, I buy the lumber, construct it, then stain or paint it myself. I did a farmhouse table last month, and I'm just finishing up a bookshelf with a desk on deck.

Reactions: 4 users
I've been a musician for a while. For a few years, I was a pro session musician and recorded some albums and toured a bit around the Northeast. I still try to play 4-5 times per week (just in my basement), but sometimes it goes down to 1-2.

Also, I'm not sure if you'd consider it creative, but I build furniture. Like, I buy the lumber, construct it, then stain or paint it myself. I did a farmhouse table last month, and I'm just finishing up a bookshelf with a desk on deck.

Wow! Do you release any of your work for the world to hear? And I would consider building furniture, especially if you are constructing everything, to be a creative endeavor. You're putting so much of your own taste and sensibilities into it that it's 'your' creation, no?

Wow! Do you release any of your work for the world to hear? And I would consider building furniture, especially if you are constructing everything, to be a creative endeavor. You're putting so much of your own taste and sensibilities into it that it's 'your' creation, no?

Yeah, that's how I view it. I do everything short of chopping down the trees and shaping the lumber, lol. The furniture all has a little personal feel. It's nice looking, but it doesn't seem overly polished like it was made by a machine. Definitely has a nice handmade look, but looks nice at the same time.

I'm on a few albums. I'll see if I can find some stuff. I'm not super anonymous on here, but I don't want to completely give myself up.

Yeah, that's how I view it. I do everything short of chopping down the trees and shaping the lumber, lol. The furniture all has a little personal feel. It's nice looking, but it doesn't seem overly polished like it was made by a machine. Definitely has a nice handmade look, but looks nice at the same time.

I'm on a few albums. I'll see if I can find some stuff. I'm not super anonymous on here, but I don't want to completely give myself up.

I now know who to call a couple decades down the line for advice on building myself a log cabin in the woods!

And I'd love to hear your music - PM me if you can :) saves the whole anonymity thing, and we could exchange work that way.

I now know who to call a couple decades down the line for advice on building myself a log cabin in the woods!

And I'd love to hear your music - PM me if you can :) saves the whole anonymity thing, and we could exchange work that way.

Haha, I'm not quite ready to build a house. But maybe in a couple decades I will be! I'll see if I can find something to PM you! It's been like 7 years since I recorded anything that got released, so I have to look.

Leatherwork and photography are my creative outlets. I really like hands-on work, and leather fits the bill, but photography is easier to squeeze in when low on time. Grad school is busy, and I’m sure med school will be busier.

Painter/Illustrator/Musician here! Are you already in school or will you be making the time to continue creating in your free time when you are?

Also it's sort of suffocating not being able to share work for anonymity's sake, but if you're ever feeling the need to talk/reciprocate critique, feel free to PM! I'd love to see what you're cooking up.

I graduated nearly 15 years ago from undergrad and am matriculating to med school next year. I’ve owned a photography business for the past while (while working at an engineering firm), then I’ve done painting, design, and home renovation in my “free time.” Would definitely like to talk any time!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I’m a fashion designer (niche market - not cosplay, but sort of similar), and also a singer/stage performer. Class of 2022 and hoping to continue on a part-time basis, at least for the first bit of medical school.

I’m a fashion designer (niche market - not cosplay, but sort of similar), and also a singer/stage performer. Class of 2022 and hoping to continue on a part-time basis, at least for the first bit of medical school.

How did you get into fashion design? Did it have something to do with your performance background? And hope that you can stick to this passion of yours while youre a student!

How did you get into fashion design? Did it have something to do with your performance background? And hope that you can stick to this passion of yours while youre a student!

No, it started out as an adjunct to one of my childrens’ hobbies. My stage work is mostly separate, but I hope I can keep both up during school as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
My bachelors is in documentary filmmaking, and I have competed in the Drum Corps Association (national marching band). My BA has come up many times in interviews, and the interviewer tends to make a comment along the lines of “you’d be the first filmmaking major we’ve had”. Not gonna lie, it makes me feel special! I don’t think I’ll be continuing that in medical school though, as I don’t have access to equipment any more. Also, I’m Class of 2022!

I’m a writer, have been writing since I was little and hope to continue working on it no matter what else I’ve got going on in life. Hoping to be class of 2022.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a writer, have been writing since I was little and hope to continue working on it no matter what else I’ve got going on in life. Hoping to be class of 2022.

Oh, I completely forgot about writing. I’ve written a lot over the last decade, but nothing in the last few months other than for school and research. What do you like to write?

I like a bit of everything, but my fiction has all been sci fi (like Ray Bradbury) or fantasy horror (think Neil Gaiman).

I’m a writer, too. I write fiction. Hope to get published...one day. Hoping to be class of 2023.

My bachelors is in documentary filmmaking, and I have competed in the Drum Corps Association (national marching band). My BA has come up many times in interviews, and the interviewer tends to make a comment along the lines of “you’d be the first filmmaking major we’ve had”. Not gonna lie, it makes me feel special! I don’t think I’ll be continuing that in medical school though, as I don’t have access to equipment any more. Also, I’m Class of 2022!

You have to check out Code Black - it’s a documentary created by a senior resident at the LA county hospital. He completely crushes it, and the film went on to win a bunch of awards and was later adapted into a TV series called Code Black. It’s an extremely well made documentary in terms of cinematographic techniques as well as creating a compelling narrative that you arrive at internally (aka not something they try and explicitly feed you). Brilliant... you’d probably appreciate it!

I’m a writer, too. I write fiction. Hope to get published...one day. Hoping to be class of 2023.

Writers, check out Body of Work! It’s a book written by a medical student who went to Brown. It discusses the emotions and ideas that come from working in an anatomy lab.

Composer/Performing Artist here. Try and do music 5 times a week for at least an hour. Do your best to find other musicians in your class. Played a gig this weekend with some and it was a blast.

Musician/singer, aspiring documentary filmmaker, and writer/illustrator here! I’m actually hoping to combine medical illustration with children’s book writing & illustration (it’s Hollins University’s MFA program in case anyone’s interested), but I’m also a huge science fiction/fantasy fan and want to write and illustrate graphic novels and illustrated novels.

By the way, I love Alexey’s work! When I took art history, we had to create a gallery exhibit and my theme was “medicine through illustration.” I found some really cool collections of work such as Robert Thom’s (~1952) collection. I was also inspired by Thomas Eakins’ work (e.g., The Agnew Clinic), Van Gough’s Portrait of Dr. Gachet, Picasso’s Science and Charity, and a collection of illustrations about the future of medicine by an artist named Adam Simpson. And of course, I’m inspired by Frank Netter.

I’m a musician and crocheter/cross stitcher. I plan to utilize the crafts I enjoy doing as a stress reliever in medical school. I sometimes got too intense in undergrad and forgot to take time for myself. I think a creative outlet can be relaxing and a way to free your mind from stress.

Musician/singer, aspiring documentary filmmaker, and writer/illustrator here! I’m actually hoping to combine medical illustration with children’s book writing & illustration (it’s Hollins University’s MFA program in case anyone’s interested), but I’m also a huge science fiction/fantasy fan and want to write and illustrate graphic novels and illustrated novels.

By the way, I love Alexey’s work! When I took art history, we had to create a gallery exhibit and my theme was “medicine through illustration.” I found some really cool collections of work such as Robert Thom’s (~1952) collection. I was also inspired by Thomas Eakins’ work (e.g., The Agnew Clinic), Van Gough’s Portrait of Dr. Gachet, Picasso’s Science and Charity, and a collection of illustrations about the future of medicine by an artist named Adam Simpson. And of course, I’m inspired by Frank Netter.

Have you ever read The Anatomist? It’s about Henry Gray, but it talks a lot about H. V. Carter, the doctor who actually did all the illustrations in Gray’s Anatomy. It’s a great book.

Amateur painter here. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from it during my gap years- it's a very unique mindset that's entirely different from studying/working/etc. I used it for stress management for the first time while studying for the MCAT: When my science circuits were feeling fried, I pulled out a little watercolor pad and just painted whatever for 10-15 mins, and it really did help.

Interestingly enough, my paintings sometimes reflect my "science side". I love to paint geometric patterns, so I'll spend a couple of hours with a compass, ruler, and protractor sketching out pieces before I start.

You have to check out Code Black - it’s a documentary created by a senior resident at the LA county hospital. He completely crushes it, and the film went on to win a bunch of awards and was later adapted into a TV series called Code Black. It’s an extremely well made documentary in terms of cinematographic techniques as well as creating a compelling narrative that you arrive at internally (aka not something they try and explicitly feed you). Brilliant... you’d probably appreciate it!
Hey, I'm in that! Not a talking head or anything. I was a volunteer in the ED at the time.

Also to stay on topic, I have a BA in Music. In fact, I don't think you should find this as a surprise, but a majority of medical students have artistic talents. Many are shy about their endeavors, but get them talking and you'll find some incredibly talented individuals.... I just found out about one of mine recently. Her drawings look like Netter and Dali had a love child.

Webcomic co-writer and editor + horror/crime writer here. The interviews I've attended so far have been 90% about being a creative and 10% misc. Which has been. Unexpected?

Has anyone else had adcoms look up their work too?

Depends what you call art. The reactions in my chemistry lab are art to me.

Webcomic co-writer and editor + horror/crime writer here. The interviews I've attended so far have been 90% about being a creative and 10% misc. Which has been. Unexpected?

I created a design blog and at least one person asked me about it. He wanted to know where that fit into my plans for medicine (the answer was simple: it’s my hobby - I discovered a while back that I didn’t enjoy doing it professionally but love doing it for myself). I can’t remember it coming up elsewhere.

Yeah that’s been my experience thus far with making art. It’s definitely refreshing, and it makes for really relaxed/engaging interviews. These days my work’s been getting more recognition on the internet and in a few other avenues so a few people have recognized me, which was unexpected but also really cool!

Last edited:

One of my interiewers asked extensively about my writing. She wanted to know where she could find it published so she could read it. She gave me her email address and asked me to send her some links to the online versions. I sent them to her, and she emailed me back a few days later to talk about them. She ended up including a super positive comment about one in particular in her write up.

sketch/pyrography artist checking in! I've been drawing since I was a kid, used to submit my artwork for competitions from elementary school up until I graduated high school. It was my creative outlet that helped me get through a lot of the **** I went through in high school. Since I have been in undergrad I began dabbling in pyrography, which has become my new favorite form of art. I have had many people ask me to do commission pieces for them so I have been contemplating opening an etsy shop during my gap year.

Have you ever read The Anatomist? It’s about Henry Gray, but it talks a lot about H. V. Carter, the doctor who actually did all the illustrations in Gray’s Anatomy. It’s a great book.
Nope, but it sounds awesome. I’ll check it out, thanks!

I never thought about interviewers asking about interviewees’ art. Did any of you guys have an art minor (or other significant art experience) or did you just talk about your art a lot in your application?

I never thought about interviewers asking about interviewees’ art. Did any of you guys have an art minor (or other significant art experience) or did you just talk about your art a lot in your application?

I did an English minor, but I don't think it showed up anywhere. She mentioned the myriad Shakespeare and other lit courses I took. My personal statement was all about medicine and the military, but she asked me for a brief resume. I mentioned my fiction pubs on there, and that led to talking about my writing and my music. I hadn't started building furniture yet.

My primary mentioned I was published and gave one editor contact as well as listing the comic separately but I think it kinda meshes with how I wrote my personal statement and essays? One interviewer was generous enough to say that she could tell I wrote quite a bit and that was definitely the most flattering thing about this cycle so far. Another mentioned she had "read my work" but who knows what it was...

Painter here. I do landscapes and animal portraits w/ a variety of medium like acrylic, oil, pastel, or watercolor pencils. I draw manga characters too.

I also dabble in sculpting, but I’m not that good yet.

I minored in architecture, and one of my ECs was my design blog. I’m sure many interviewers couldn’t care less about that stuff, but a few people did. I didn’t talk much about it in my primary, but most of my diversity essays focused on how I approach problems from the design perspective.

sketch/pyrography artist checking in! I've been drawing since I was a kid, used to submit my artwork for competitions from elementary school up until I graduated high school. It was my creative outlet that helped me get through a lot of the **** I went through in high school. Since I have been in undergrad I began dabbling in pyrography, which has become my new favorite form of art. I have had many people ask me to do commission pieces for them so I have been contemplating opening an etsy shop during my gap year.

Please do! And then please PM me the link so I can buy your stuff :) that sounds really dope.

It was a significant portion in all aspects of my app with some direct applications to medicine.

Question: Are any of you afraid of posting revealing information? I feel like creative pursuits are usually unique, making it much easier to identify people.

Last edited:
Please do! And then please PM me the link so I can buy your stuff :) that sounds really dope.

It was a significant portion in all aspects of my app with some direct applications to medicine.

Question: Are any of you afraid of posting revealing information? I feel like creative pursuits are usually unique, making it much easier to identify people.

I’m willing to pics of my furniture, but I probably won’t publicly post any music or writing. I might post some music if I can find some where it isn’t obvious who I am.

Given that so many of you have these creative interests outside of medicine, what's on your radar right now in terms of medical specialties?

Kinda under-represented here but I'm heavily involved in culinary art. Medically I've helped to develop various ingredient substitutes for allergen-friendly diets and turned them into recipes, especially international recipes that are overlooked. Also I play tuba/piano/guitar/sing.

Kinda under-represented here but I'm heavily involved in culinary art. Medically I've helped to develop various ingredient substitutes for allergen-friendly diets and turned them into recipes, especially international recipes that are overlooked. Also I play tuba/piano/guitar/sing.
Any chef inspirations? Personally, I've watched a ton of Gordon Ramsay videos on Youtube but never picked up cooking (it's really fun to watch though)

Your hobby will be beneficial during med school. It's kinda disgusting how awful the diets of late-night, cramming med students can be :(

Any chef inspirations? Personally, I've watched a ton of Gordon Ramsay videos on Youtube but never picked up cooking (it's really fun to watch though)

I'm more of a fan for his Twitter savagery. Also I've tested most of his recipes, some occasional misses here and there.

I've supported myself as a solo acoustic guitarist/singer throughout college. I'm still grappling with the fact that such a significant and defining part of my life will mostly end soon when I start medical school in August. Performing has been such a great artistic release and source of enjoyment.

The only definitive aspect of my music career that I assume I'll bring into medicine stems from issues I've had with vocal chord nodules and general airway issues. As far as artistic expression goes, not really sure how/where music and medicine intertwine.

Are you taking requests? Asking for a friend...

...said friend is me, and while I'm generally a pretty decent cook, I have this one problem recipe I've been trying to develop a substitute for and my results have been pretty mediocre so far, so I could use additional ideas!

Given that so many of you have these creative interests outside of medicine, what's on your radar right now in terms of medical specialties?

I think the surgical fields, and particularly orthopaedic surgery, are super cool. I love working with my hands (hence the furniture building). But I worked in the OR for around 7 years and am quite familiar with the lifestyle and the toll just operating takes on the body. I have no desire to destroy my back that way.

I also enjoyed doing primary care a lot. I like longitudinal care and being someone’s doctor. The detective work that comes with an undifferentiated patient is cool too.

So I’m probably heading towards internal medicine.