Question about pre-med lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1136042

Curious to see how many parties pre-meds have attended. What time do you guys typically sleep?

I'm a first year, and everyone around me goes out to frat parties every other night, sleep at 2 am after laughing in the lounge on our floors, etc.

Me on the other hand have never been to a single party in my life, have not done drugs/ drank, and usually sleep around 12 am. Am I missing out? I scored over 95%+ on both my BCPM midterms thus far while you only need an 85% for an A.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to go to parties? Can you do it without sacrificing grades? Go for it. Have fun. Enjoy college, just not too much. Drive sober.

Reactions: 2 users
I went out a lot my first few years but also am no 4.0 student, but I don't feel like partying once or twice a week hurt my grades, it was more study habits.

You can go out and still go to bed around midnight if you so choose ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be proud that you don't drink or use drugs. But make sure that you have hobbies, and socialize with others. Many doctors can't relate to patients because of poor social skills.

Reactions: 1 users
Graduated with a 3.95+ with solid ECs and multiple jobs during undergrad - still found time to drink/play sports/enjoy life. There is nothing wrong with trying as hard as you can and doing well, but just make sure that you don't majorly burn yourself out. The weekend after midterms, go to the park or hang out with a person of interest or ask someone to go to dinner with you. Make some new friends that have similar interests to you. Don't focus your ENTIRE life on being a premed - find a balance between enjoying your life and being a great student; it will make you a more interesting applicant.

Run your own race. If you are a good student, you will need to put some extra time in. My wife, was an elite student, 3.96, if I remember correctly, Phi Beta Kappa, partied, editor of newspaper, band etc.. I am a.mere mortal and had to work alot harder and was not wven close academically. Regardless, finding balance can be tough. If you treat yourself well, you will have the energy and ability to study more effectively. The more you work and don't relieve stress, the laws of diminishing returns sets and and you are just staring at words rather than learning. Good luck and best wishes!

Find your people. It is likely there are other people on campus who like what you like and that you can have fun with doing whatever your idea of fun is. Find something that helps you relax whether it is physical (like yoga or working out, or a club sport), a performance based group (music, dance, improv, etc), something creative and crafty.... you know what you'd like to do, then find a group with which to do it.

Don't drink or do drugs, particularly if you are underage.

Reactions: 3 users
Everything in moderation . . . Don't miss out on all the fun that college has to offer . . . and don't have so much fun that you miss out on the career you want . . .

Reactions: 1 user