Critics of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

90k for ophthalmologists and 45k for optometrists??
these figures are news to me.

Where did you see those numbers? Are you sure you weren't looking at the technicians? I know most VA ODs are around 100k after 5 years and they have EXCELLENT benefits. VA ODs provide a very high level of care and function as part of the health care team (like it always should be). I strongly considered going this route, but there wasn't going to be any openings in my desired living area.

The ODs take care of ALL the primary care and medical eye care. Patients get sent to the regional OMDs when surgery is inidicated. I'm pretty sure the OMDs are up well over 150k.

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you see those numbers? Are you sure you weren't looking at the technicians? I know most VA ODs are around 100k after 5 years and they have EXCELLENT benefits. VA ODs provide a very high level of care and function as part of the health care team (like it always should be). I strongly considered going this route, but there wasn't going to be any openings in my desired living area.

The ODs take care of ALL the primary care and medical eye care. Patients get sent to the regional OMDs when surgery is inidicated. I'm pretty sure the OMDs are up well over 150k.

Look through DiveMD's link, you'll know what i'm talking about..

90k for ophthalmologists and 45k for optometrists??
these figures are news to me.

with numbers like that....why wouldnt ods AND Omds run to walmart :laugh:

where is ODhopeful, save me a place in line!

Members don't see this ad :)

I ain't going now where... Don't worry, after I get my walmart job, I'll highly recommend u to my 16 ur old supervisor so u can get that opening at sam's next to me.... HAHAHAHA :smuggrin:

If you can't calcualte the benefits of the full package deal you deserve Walmart.

I ain't going now where... Don't worry, after I get my walmart job, I'll highly recommend u to my 16 ur old supervisor so u can get that opening at sam's next to me.... HAHAHAHA :smuggrin:

Some people don't mind getting brain atrophy "one or two" years out of school.:laugh:

poor horse

Gotta keep smacking that thing because people keep making deals with the Devil (commercial). Anyone who cares about Optometry at all will not work in these degrading locations. Come on people, take some pride after all that work, time, and money you invested!

Remember, you are hurting ALL of your colleagues.

Gotta keep smacking that thing because people keep making deals with the Devil (commercial). Anyone who cares about Optometry at all will not work in these degrading locations. Come on people, take some pride after all that work, time, and money you invested!

Remember, you are hurting ALL of your colleagues.
Currently, all that money they invested belongs to the bank and it needs to be paid back. Until you find a way to place every one of the approximately 1300 OD's graduating each year, I think it's time to get over this constant commercial bashing. Truely successful OD's do not give a second thought to the commercial docs, and we realize that even if all of the big boxes went away, there would be some private practice doc in a strip mall advertising free eye exams with the purchase of a pair of glasses. If the commercial bashers would spend as much time and energy on building their practices as they do on attacking commercial docs, they wouldn't have to worry about commercial docs.