Critique my app for next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pusheen

silently judging
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Applying in June 2016, CA resident. I'm currently planning out my final undergrad semester, and looking for any pointers/ideas to improve my app. This is what it will look like by next summer
MCAT 515 (128/130/129/128)
cgpa 3.8+, sgpa 3.7+
300 hours clinical internship + 100 hours as internship coordinator/trainer
150 hours nonclinical volunteering (tutoring kids in shelter)
1 year research, poster, possibly first author paper.
150 hours TA/peer academic mentor
tons of other unrelated-to-premed part time jobs since high school (roughly 15 hours/week)
30 hours shadowing
SES disadvantaged

Any ideas of interesting things to do next semester? I've only been pre-med for 10 months or so, so I feel like I've been playing catch up. I'm a little worried about the longevity of my activites. I'm trying to be as competitive as possible, esp for schools here in CA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You definitely have a very solid application for MD. With your part-time jobs, I think the longevity of your activities is more than sufficient. I worked as a waiter during all of undergrad, and you would be surprised how often that came up in interviews over my research experience. I honestly think you should just keep doing what your doing. I really don't see anything lacking.

That being said, the CA schools are pretty rough, so I would recommend adding some OOS schools just in case. Not even the astronauts are safe in CA.

Reactions: 1 user