CRNA shortage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevoflurane

Ride
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We don’t employ them but I hear rumors they are also hard to find despite the CRNA mills that are oh so common.

Curious if those on here that use the ACT model are also having issues finding CRNA’s to fill their practices.

Members don't see this ad.

we have major issues. but we dont pay that competitive to other hospitals. however i hear in our city alone, every year they are pumping out tons of CRNAs. columbia alone graduates 37-40 CRNAs a year, and there are so many other programs here, and more to begin. class sizes are also increasing.

i guess theres a shortage because need them to replace anesthesiologists

I've heard some CRNAs are going back to per diem ICU work during this COVID period as demand is very high for ICU RNs. Rumor is up to $200/hr is not uncommon for ICU work for RNs with experience.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Until recently the talk of the forum was about the overabundance of CRNAs and the huge numbers pumped in by the CRNA mills

Until recently the talk of the forum was about the overabundance of CRNAs and the huge numbers pumped in by the CRNA mills

huge. 150 + residents per year, and then probably more CRNAs per year than that. im impressed there are that many jobs in nyc

The reason for the shortage is growth in endo and other out of dept needs. There will be a glut of providers in 10 years. Save your money.

The reason for the shortage is growth in endo and other out of dept needs. There will be a glut of providers in 10 years. Save your money.

Also demographics. The baby boomers are older, fatter, and sicker. Gotta get them total joints, Pipes cleaned and/or bypassed, gall bladders and hernias fixed, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
We don’t employ them but I hear rumors they are also hard to find despite the CRNA mills that are oh so common.

Curious if those on here that use the ACT model are also having issues finding CRNA’s to fill their practices.
yes massive demand for MDs and CRNAs in the NE

A lot of people retiring because of covid. Case backlogs from covid. More demand from GI, IR, MRI/CT/XR. In a few years the pendulum will swing back and there will be an overabundance.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like there is a shortage of everything in healthcare right now

Reactions: 3 users
That growth is here to stay. Once we have spoiled patients and proceduralists in these areas they aren't going back. The reality is that those departments are much more productive when we a re involved. Having proceduralists giving more than mild sedation for a procedure that they are doing is suboptimal.

Good time to renegotiate contracts if there is truly a shortage of anesthesiologists and nurses. We recently renegotiated quite a favorable contract toward our physicinas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good time to renegotiate contracts if there is truly a shortage of anesthesiologists and nurses. We recently renegotiated quite a favorable contract toward our physicinas.

Hm now I am rethinking my no amc stance

PP>locums>AMC/Hospital employeed. But then again a lot to factor in. Certain AMC locations remain quite good. Some not so much. And certain predatory PP’s are just scum and worse than AMC’s.

Reactions: 3 users
I would say that it is getting easier to find CRNAs compared to 6 months ago.

It’s all about supply and demand. In florida and Georgia. Crnas are commanding long term locums rates $170/hr. Not emergency locums last minute rates. $150/hr is common.
I don’t think it’s a shortage per se. it’s just a combination of less anesthesiologists wanting to work longer hours and AMC know to retain docs. They have to agree to some arbitrary 50-55 hour full time working hours for docs. So have to make up difference paying more cRna coverage especially community hospitals that want to run 3 rooms to 7pm

in the last most crnas would go home and docs go in room solo at 3pm (8 rooms) and 5pm. (3 rooms)

now instead of 3 docs in rooms solo at 5pm. Amc will send the late doc home by 5pm. So one on call doc will cover 3 rooms to 7pm. But that also means paying 3 crnas more for coverage 5-7pm. So by shifting from 3 solo docs to 3 crnas. Amc compensate by paying crnas.

The independent practice CRNA drum is beaten quite loudly from Day 1 of a CRNA program. They are heavily indoctrinated that an anesthesiologist is wholly unnecessary for any type of case. Many end up going to single-specialty surgery centers (GI, plastics, etc.) where they can do their own thing.

The independent practice CRNA drum is beaten quite loudly from Day 1 of a CRNA program. They are heavily indoctrinated that an anesthesiologist is wholly unnecessary for any type of case. Many end up going to single-specialty surgery centers (GI, plastics, etc.) where they can do their own thing.
until they tube the goose during a simple breast implant procedure and end up on the news.