CS Abbreviated Patient Note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shtumpa

Juggler
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI regarding the patient note format (I wasn’t sure about this going into exam):

The Step 2 CS PDF has two examples of the note format. The first looks like a normal patient note. The second is not only in bullet point format, but also differs in that it isn’t really a complete note at all, it omits family history, social history, a separate ROS section etc...

I used the second template and passed pretty comfortably. I know it’s just an anecdote, but that’s all we have for this exam. So if your typing skills are less than stellar and u struggle with time on note, probably good idea. Maybe. Just leave out the multivitamin lol. My physical exam also looked like this without separate subheadings.

A6EF1152-471B-4DE8-B32D-F8DC0B67BC1D.png

(I failed first attempt when I typed out the complete note - ”Allergies: NKMA...SH: Married with two children...” basically just typing out note as if I was on wards - but most people do type full notes and pass (I think), it can’t hurt you obviously. But with my below average typing speed I found that I was rushing when entering supporting evidence, making dumb mistakes, running out of time to double check most important elements of note. Also forgot Workup section for a bunch of cases)

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe this is obvious (the prompt says only include pertinent positive/negative info) but I know I wasn’t sure and was quite nervous about it. So maybe it will help someone. Stranger things have happened.