Cummings or Baileys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Otolaryngology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cummings or Baileys?

Also any advice on an atlas appropriate for a medical student? I'd like to brush up on my head and neck anatomy before sub-Is this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Cummings or Baileys?

Also any advice on an atlas appropriate for a medical student? I'd like to brush up on my head and neck anatomy before sub-Is this summer.

I'd recommend just getting KJ Lee or Lange or one of the other more basic texts at your level. Baileys or Cummings is a decision that your future program might make for you, and potentially get it for you.

I used/use Netter's for anatomy. I always thought Zollinger's was great for general surgery. I haven't heard of or found an equivalent for ENT. Refer to your anatomy stuff from first year, it will seem more familiar to you and likely come back quicker than taking up something new.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geez, over $1,000 for that book?! not even in stock...

there are some new ones listed for $350 or so. just have to click around

wouldn't buy either. Hardly ever used in my residency and 99% of the info you will care about can be found in cheaper books or on the internet.

Yeah, your library should have Cummings online through MD Consult. No need to read whole chapters in cummings as a student. I bought the netters head and neck book for dentist but never really use it. U pick up anatomy through cummings. Best book to get if you must is Pasha. Kj lee is not that easy to read.

I didn't have any book as a student. I just went online looked up stuff I needed.

You can also try F. ling free online text. He basically summarized Baileys.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Bailey's. It has a good review of most topics. Those that are missing you can check out in KJ Lee or Cummings. I feel that there is too much minutia in Cummings / difficult to read overall. With Bailey's, you can get through a chapter per night and actually remember the info.

I feel that there is too much minutia in Cummings / difficult to read overall. With Bailey's, you can get through a chapter per night and actually remember the info.

This is my sentiment too. I inherited a Bailey's and was given a Cummings by my program. I use Bailey's 95% of the time when I'm going to sit down and read about a topic. Occasionally reference Cummings for a more thorough review on a topic but not enough to warrant buying it alone.

That being said, I second the sentiment above... both are a bit to much of a financial investment to justify the expense as a sub-i. Stick to The more concise bullet pocketbooks like Pasha or KJ Lee and ENT Secrets. But most of all just know your anatomy.