Cumulative GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dytmom_3x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if my grades /GPA wanted from a 2-year technical/vocational school that is not regionally accredited will factor into my cumulative undergrad GPA when applying to graduate schools? I am applying to PsyD programs & a few M.A. in psychology programs (to use the latter as a backup should I not be accepted into the former). I have an associate degree from 2 years spent at a college that was not regionally accredited before I began my bachelor degree journey. Obviously the credits did not transfer but I'm wondering if the grades will be considered! They do effect my GPA in a good way so I am hoping grad schools do factor those grades in.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the school's I'm looking at says "All transcripts from previously attended college or university." Chances are they will require it. Better submit it to be safe imo. Could also give them a ring to make sure.

Same here. I just wonder if it counts toward GPA calculation. It's quite and important difference for me, it makes or breaks me (unfortunately).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a really not-smart question. But, I don't know, because I have not completed applications yet. Are we supposed to go in knowing what our GPA is? Is there a spot on the applications to enter our GPA? Or do the schools we apply to calculate the GPA on their own? I'll feel like an idiot if I give a GPA I calculated using my own math and then find out they do or don't factor in the tech school one, and come up with a different one.

This is a really not-smart question. But, I don't know, because I have not completed applications yet. Are we supposed to go in knowing what our GPA is? Is there a spot on the applications to enter our GPA? Or do the schools we apply to calculate the GPA on their own? I'll feel like an idiot if I give a GPA I calculated using my own math and then find out they do or don't factor in the tech school one, and come up with a different one.
The schools will use the GPA provided on a certified transcript from each school which you have already attended (whether the school is accredited or not accredited).

The graduate schools will not rely on your GPA calculation.

Instead, your GPA will be included on a certified transcript provided to each graduate school.

Friendly suggestion: you should obtain a copy of each transcript (before you submit a request for a "certified transcript" to be sent to any graduate school). Reason: you want to make sure there are no clerical mistakes on the transcripts (e.g., an incorrect letter grade has been entered on your transcript, etc.). If there are any mistakes, you need to get the mistakes corrected. Sometimes, mistakes happen.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user