Other OT-Related Information Current CSUDH students, advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h0pefully0T

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to work part-time as a full-time student? How many hours max is manageable? If you do work, what kind of jobs do you recommend? I know it's ill advised to work during the program and I would rather NOT actually, but I do need some money here and there. I have a friend in dental school who is working 15-20 hours a week and she's doing fine. She does recommend not working during the first year, however. I don't plan on working too much - honestly, I'm thinking about just tutoring students in anatomy, physio, writing, etc for no more than 5 hours a week in the beginning and maybe increase hours over time. This way, I have more control over my schedule. I'm thinking I'll be able to find many students at CSUDH that need help with anatomy and physio. I can take out more loans, but I just want to find out if any of you out there are working or have classmates that are able to manage the load? Tutoring anatomy and physio will definitely help me remember things I have to know for OT school as well.. so at least that's one benefit. I just need a little money here and there to help pay for some personal living expenses that I don't want to use my loans for. I'd rather save my loans for housing and materials for OT school. Please let me know if it's possible with the schedule of an OT student at CSUDH. Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in C12 and I know quite a few people that are working in the program, but most are not. I personally am not working and I'm glad that I'm not, but it is definitely doable. I think your plan of starting out small and seeing how much you can handle is a great idea. Just make sure you keep enough time to take care of yourself and have some fun, because you will appreciate it. Balance is key!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I can't think of anyone that doesn't drive. Some people that are in similar areas carpool though. You will have a chance to get to know where everyone in your section lives in the first week to try to figure that out. If you live near someone that is in a different section, it doesn't really help because the schedules are so different (I almost never carpool with either of my 2 roommates because we are all in different sections).