Current dental students, any advice on improving my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketsfan1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I posted this in the pre dent section but I wanted to see what you guys recommended as well, if that's okay!

I'll be applying next cycle!

Graduating in the Fall (4.5 year of undergrad). Biology BA and a Poli Sci Minor
Expected oGPA:
Expected BCP GPA: 3.3
Expected Science GPA: 3.32ish (basically 3.3)
DAT: Not taken yet, any advice? Was going to take this summer but ACL surgery made me rethink it. I'll probably take it after I graduate now
Race: Asian (Indian). If it matters at all lolll

No real upward trend I guess throughout the years. Kinda been all over the place. D in orgo, C in biochem, C in cell bio, C in anatomy 2 (retook orgo to a B and anatomy 2 to an A).

Main thing would be I guess over the last 30 credits (2 semesters), I'd have a 3.8oGPA and 3.7ish science/BCP . Over the last 3 semesters (42 credits), its a 3.65 oGPA and a 3.5 science/BCP GPA

Shadowing hours: Over 120, haven't shadowed any specialties though. Guess I'll do that and bring the total to around 150 hours? or around there at least

Community service: Tons, over 500 hours (would probably get more over the rest of the year). Working with refugee relief orgs, packaging/delivering food to the homeless throughout the local inner city, community river/stream cleanups, etc.

Research: None. Any advice? I'd try to get some at school but no one will really give me a 1 semester position since I'm gonna be graduating lol

Work experience: Again, not too much. Kind of grew up in a financially stable household so never really needed to work a lot.

Leadership experience: Held leadership positions on for 2 years for an on campus org, also at a local athletic program where we mentor and train high school students trying to improve their skills in basketball and soccer. Also the founder of a local community service initiative.

I know the main thing right now is to focus on my DAT correct? Any ideas on what score to aim for? I'm a VA resident so we have 1 state school (VCU). Aside from that, nothing really in state.

I was thinking after I graduate to focus on the DAT for 8-10 weeks, knock it out then try and work in a research lab or something (crap pay though lol) until the application cycle started. If I liked the work, I'd stick with it, or maybe just try and find something else after?

Do you guys think I need to look into a post bac or SMP or masters or anything? Or stay an extra spring semester? I was thinking about staying but I was thinking it might hurt my DAT score + it costs $6000. I would have to study for the DAT within 5-6 weeks (the winter break session). I figure it might be better to just save the $ and focus my time on the DATs?

Any suggestions?
Thank you guys so much

Members don't see this ad.

Just do well on your DAT and you'll get in. Don't over think it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing you can do is destroy the DAT. Try and get a 24. That may be unreasonable, but you should try. If you are interviewed, you may be asked about the low science grades and the retakes. Make sure you can explain your performance, as well as what you changed so you could do better when you retook them (admissions people are very interested in personal growth, maturity, and development)

The best thing you can do is destroy the DAT. Try and get a 24. That may be unreasonable, but you should try. If you are interviewed, you may be asked about the low science grades and the retakes. Make sure you can explain your performance, as well as what you changed so you could do better when you retook them (admissions people are very interested in personal growth, maturity, and development)

I agree with Shulk. Don't overthink it, you have a great chance. All you need to do it do crush the DAT. Anything higher than a 20 will get you in anywhere, even if the school isn't your first choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys! That makes me feel a bit better haha. So def no need for an SMP or anything?

Agree with everyone here, focus on the DAT. You will be fine.