Current MSTP students, I need help interpreting my WL offers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Campingwithpie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Top school here, 2 in my entering class were off wait list. There is decent movement after second look weekends, just keep expressing interest.

Out of the 1844 applicants, only about 430 have received at least one MD/PhD acceptance, but most of them have multiple acceptances. By the end of the cycle, we should at least 300 more applicants getting MD/PhD acceptances. As a quality applicant, you should be fine. I have had several accepted applicants into my MD/PhD program who have received a top 10 MSTP acceptance (from their waitlist) as late as the first week of May. I suspect that your chances are very good (2/3) if you are waitlisted by 3-5 MSTP programs, and extremely good if you are waitlisted in a greater number of programs. A couple of years ago, I saw a kid holding two acceptances until the very last day (April 30) in the very top programs, over the next week, the domino effect fell with several other applicants getting acceptances...

This is very frustrating to applicants and program directors (most of whom are trying to keep steady enrollment numbers due to limited resources). The best thing for everybody would be to have a match system similar to what people do for residency positions, or as it is done in Texas, for Texas residents in state-funded medical schools (MD program only and in TMDSAS; for Texas MD/PhD programs, state of residency doesn't matter and applications are in AMCAS).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is very frustrating to applicants and program directors (most of whom are trying to keep steady enrollment numbers due to limited resources). The best thing for everybody would be to have a match system similar to what people do for residency positions, or as it is done in Texas, for Texas residents in state-funded medical schools (MD program only and in TMDSAS; for Texas MD/PhD programs, state of residency doesn't matter and applications are in AMCAS).

Love the match idea. That was proposed by a director about 10 years ago, but the AAMC shot it down. They said it would not be fair to students.

When the AAMC had webinar last year regarding the new traffic rules, I brought it up again in open chat to all. The AAMC speaker thought it would be hard to make it work because of all the different kinds of MD programs. It works for residencies across the nation and for regular MD admissions in Texas. Clearly, a problem is that at the end of the MD/PhD cycle, in the last couple of years, we got 120 withdrawals after acceptance (mostly into MD programs) and almost 30 deferrals.