Other OT-Related Information Current OTD student willing to answer questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goOT123

Reaction score
I wanted to ask specific anonymous questions when applying so thought I would offer

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my first invitation for an interview! My undergrad experience with pre-health advisors at my school has been that they know nothing about OT applications/school, are primarily concerned with the pre-med students, and have no idea what to say to me when I ask for direction, input, etc... so thank you so much for posting this!

I'm wondering what advice you have on preparing for interviews, tricky questions to expect, ways to present yourself best, that type of thing? Thanks again!

I just got my first invitation for an interview! My undergrad experience with pre-health advisors at my school has been that they know nothing about OT applications/school, are primarily concerned with the pre-med students, and have no idea what to say to me when I ask for direction, input, etc... so thank you so much for posting this!

I'm wondering what advice you have on preparing for interviews, tricky questions to expect, ways to present yourself best, that type of thing? Thanks again!

For interviews be prepared for the typical questions, "what is OT" "why this school" "why OTD instead of masters/vice versa" "Tell me about yourself" "Tell me one word to describe yourself" etc. I got asked what is your favorite book at multiple interviews. Have answers that you can recall off the top of your head and sound natural when saying them. Have questions to ask them prepared. Otherwise just be friendly and open. A lot of schools will notice how you interact with others. At one group interview they gave us like 10 mins for everyone to answer a question and they were looking at how well you got along with others and gave everyone enough time and didn't dominate the convo, so don't talk over someone to get your answer in. Overall, friendly and professional and well-educated on what OT is

Members don't see this ad :)
For interviews be prepared for the typical questions, "what is OT" "why this school" "why OTD instead of masters/vice versa" "Tell me about yourself" "Tell me one word to describe yourself" etc. I got asked what is your favorite book at multiple interviews. Have answers that you can recall off the top of your head and sound natural when saying them. Have questions to ask them prepared. Otherwise just be friendly and open. A lot of schools will notice how you interact with others. At one group interview they gave us like 10 mins for everyone to answer a question and they were looking at how well you got along with others and gave everyone enough time and didn't dominate the convo, so don't talk over someone to get your answer in. Overall, friendly and professional and well-educated on what OT is
Thank you so much, this is so helpful!

I wanted to ask specific anonymous questions when applying so thought I would offer

Hello,
I need some advice.
I am have been accepted into a MOT program (which was my top choice program and sooo excited for)
Yet, their is a tiny voice inside me that is persuading me to purse OTD. I have brought this up to the enrollment advisor and she states that this is something that can be done through processing a request to the Program Director.
Anyhow, I feel like I need clarification and advice. Because the reason I want to purse OTD is so that I can lead and do research which is basically done through the capstone project is it not?

And lets say I stay in the MOT and become a OTR at what point can I get involved in research? I do not just want to be a practicing clinician all my life I want to have lead in a research project.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for allowing us to ask you questions!
I am currently an undergraduate student (senior) and applied to OTD programs, many of which start in the summer. My semester ends before the start of each program, but my official transcript will not reflect my grades until after the OTD programs are set to begin. However, my professors from my spring semester can contact the school with my final grades.
Have you or other students been in this situation, and would I still be able to attend a school that starts in the summer?

For more info: My semester ends May 27 (and grades should be in by this time.) Most grad schools I am interested in start the first or second week of June.

I was recently accepted into an OTD program that requires the students to take 8-9 classes in a single trimester (no, this is not an accelerated program either). This makes me nervous because two of those 9 courses are pharmacology and anatomy. I searched other programs that I applied to and they require an average of 4-6 classes a trimester. What is your opinion on this?

Why OTD and not MOT. I’m having a difficult time choosing
I'm a current OTD student. OTD is what the field is moving to, so you will never have to debate whether to pursue further schooling in university as you will have a terminal degree. Entry-level OTD students also tend to progress farther in the field in terms of leadership and advocacy. Some programs also don't cost much more at all, so it's worth it to get it out of the way. You will also enter into the field with the "advanced practice" coursework completed that isn't included in master's curriculum. My program also has 4 level I fieldwork rotations that span an entire semester instead of only two rotations that can be as short as a week in master's curriculum (this may vary by school).

I think it gets you off to a stronger start initially and will take you farther overall without having to interrupt your. career to return to school.

Reactions: 1 users
I was recently accepted into an OTD program that requires the students to take 8-9 classes in a single trimester (no, this is not an accelerated program either). This makes me nervous because two of those 9 courses are pharmacology and anatomy. I searched other programs that I applied to and they require an average of 4-6 classes a trimester. What is your opinion on this?
I have never seen a trimester system so I'm unfamiliar with that. 4-6 classes is plenty for graduate fieldwork (in 4 right now with 1 being anatomy and it is intense). I would contact current students for their opinion if you are able, but this seems like an extremely heavy course load.

Thanks for allowing us to ask you questions!
I am currently an undergraduate student (senior) and applied to OTD programs, many of which start in the summer. My semester ends before the start of each program, but my official transcript will not reflect my grades until after the OTD programs are set to begin. However, my professors from my spring semester can contact the school with my final grades.
Have you or other students been in this situation, and would I still be able to attend a school that starts in the summer?

For more info: My semester ends May 27 (and grades should be in by this time.) Most grad schools I am interested in start the first or second week of June.
I haven't seen this fast of a turn around before. As long as prerequisites are completed, it should be okay. I would take the time to individually contact each school's OT admissions advisor to ask and keep a copy of their written response for your records.

Hello,
I need some advice.
I am have been accepted into a MOT program (which was my top choice program and sooo excited for)
Yet, their is a tiny voice inside me that is persuading me to purse OTD. I have brought this up to the enrollment advisor and she states that this is something that can be done through processing a request to the Program Director.
Anyhow, I feel like I need clarification and advice. Because the reason I want to purse OTD is so that I can lead and do research which is basically done through the capstone project is it not?

And lets say I stay in the MOT and become a OTR at what point can I get involved in research? I do not just want to be a practicing clinician all my life I want to have lead in a research project.

Thank you in advance.
Yes, you definitely want to pursue OTD as that's where you get the entire option to do research. In my program, we don't have to do research for our capstone and can pursue other areas such as clinical skills or administration, but there is an option to do an independent research project as well as an additional research project built into the program spread throughout semesters that everyone must complete in groups. This is a major feature of OTD programs over MOT. I am not sure about pursuing research with an MOT, but I definitely would strongly suggest pursuing an entry-level OTD if research is your main goal.

My interview was MMI format so there wasn't much opportunity to prepare for conversation and questions. I would suggest looking up MMI format and familiarizing yourself with it to be prepared in the event that your school uses this format for interviews. Good luck!

Did you buy or rent your books for your classes, and which would be a better choice? I don't want to buy books that I wont use again or that will sit on the shelf collecting dust.

Why OTD and not MOT. I’m having a difficult time choosing
Hi! I’m a current 2nd year MSOT student and was scrolling through the pages here and thought I would give some insight as well (I hope that’s okay with OP!).

I personally chose a MSOT because it’s shorter, therefore more cost efficient on average, there isnt a pay difference post graduation for most individuals (pay is generally based on experience), and I really didnt want to purse research which was one of the only reasons that i’ve heard from current OTs to get a doctorate. If people are wanting to pursue academia, most programs are requiring Ph.D’s at this point.

OP did mention that she has 4 level 1 fieldworks, and that most programs only have 2. My program has 3 - peds, adults, mental health. And we also conduct a research study and write a thesis. Additionally, once you are accepted into a program and recieve a masters, you will NOT be required to go back and get your doctorate later on if the requirement shifts to OTD as the only point of entry. You will be grandfathered in just as the bachelor’s folks are!

With that being said, they are both viable options and neither are bad! Just choose whichever best fits with your needs!

Hello i’m a 2nd year MSOT student! I’m in a masters program on trimesters with 9 classes in my first trimester and honestly, it was rough but doable! The program should be aware of the workload they are putting on you and adjust things to fit. My first semester i had anatomy + lab and kinesiology + lab plus a bunch more classes. It’s doable and everyone who has been in the program before you has made it as well!! Just lean on your classmates if you decide to go. Make group google docs for study guides to lessen the load, create study groups, and manage your time well! You’ll do great!!

Did you buy or rent your books for your classes, and which would be a better choice? I don't want to buy books that I wont use again or that will sit on the shelf collecting dust.
I'm renting. You can keep a record of what books were used and go back and buy them once you're practicing if you feel the resource would be useful. While you're a student you still have access to all the resources offered through the university (even during fieldwork since you are still paying tuition). My school gave us a list of textbooks that would be reused across semesters so we could decide to purchase if that was a cheaper option. My school also provided us with links available through the university for free e-books if available. Some professors insisted that we buy our books, but I have been doing just fine renting and it's much more feasible while a completely independent student without steady income. So I would suggest renting and keeping a record of the books for the future so you can easily locate them if needed, and reach out to the advisor to see if they have a list complied of repeating books and access to free copies of any books in the university library system that you can use for free.

I'm renting. You can keep a record of what books were used and go back and buy them once you're practicing if you feel the resource would be useful. While you're a student you still have access to all the resources offered through the university (even during fieldwork since you are still paying tuition). My school gave us a list of textbooks that would be reused across semesters so we could decide to purchase if that was a cheaper option. My school also provided us with links available through the university for free e-books if available. Some professors insisted that we buy our books, but I have been doing just fine renting and it's much more feasible while a completely independent student without steady income. So I would suggest renting and keeping a record of the books for the future so you can easily locate them if needed, and reach out to the advisor to see if they have a list complied of repeating books and access to free copies of any books in the university library system that you can use for free.
Thank you for this valuable information! Highly appreciate it !

Yes, you definitely want to pursue OTD as that's where you get the entire option to do research. In my program, we don't have to do research for our capstone and can pursue other areas such as clinical skills or administration, but there is an option to do an independent research project as well as an additional research project built into the program spread throughout semesters that everyone must complete in groups. This is a major feature of OTD programs over MOT. I am not sure about pursuing research with an MOT, but I definitely would strongly suggest pursuing an entry-level OTD if research is your main goal.
I highly value your input. And will take this into consideration.

Appreciate you. Keep on being a superstar.

Thank you for this valuable information! Highly appreciate it !
One book that will likely be worth to buy as it will be used multiple semesters is Willard and Spackman. I know in the future it will probably sit on a shelf (and occasionally referenced) but might as well purchase it upfront than constantly returning/renting it. You can also search for used books to, there will probably be a couple of books I sale to 1st years next year for the price I paid for them.

I am wondering if you have paid off your loans and how long it took? Did you take out loans for the whole program and how much was it in total? (if you don't mind sharing!)

One book that will likely be worth to buy as it will be used multiple semesters is Willard and Spackman. I know in the future it will probably sit on a shelf (and occasionally referenced) but might as well purchase it upfront than constantly returning/renting it. You can also search for used books to, there will probably be a couple of books I sale to 1st years next year for the price I paid for them.
Sweeet! Thank you so much for the tip! I will definitely use it! :)