CV for 4th year away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codegrey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about the CV requirement on VSAS. Call me lazy, but I really don't have much to put on there. No papers, posters, classes taught, special trips, or anything like that during med school. No research. I have been spending my time studying, working in the hospital, or doing things totally unrelated to medicine in my free time (which I value highly).

What to do? I'm kinda nervous about submitting a joke of a CV just to fulfil the requirement. Any ideas on this? Maybe I'm worrying too much?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not using VSAS for rotations, but I feel you. I don't have much to put on there. Like you said above, most of my time has been spent studying. I didn't have extra time to do things, I was studying frequently and when not, doing something not related to medical school.

I have been asked by my letter writers for a CV and personal statement. Luckily, I don't have a personal statement yet so I don't have to think about creating the joke of a CV to accompany it. I've found medical school much, much harder than undergrad and accordingly my glowing CV/Resume from undergrad is infinitely better than my sparse activities in medical school.

I'll lament with you and hope someone has good advice for all of us.

I was beginning to think I was the only one:laugh: The only thing I have to put on my CV is that I've been a tutor since first year and that's about it

May have to join a few clubs the next few months and attend some conferences:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think much is expected from your CV. They keep highlighting how important step 1 and clinical performance is, so it is tough to imagine they expect to see 30 ECs on there.

May have to join a few clubs the next few months and attend some conferences:cool:

simply attending a conference doesn't go on your CV. if you had a poster or presentation at the conference then that belongs on your CV. However if you're truly desperate to put something on your CV you can list conferences attended

Do people put their board scores (if they're good) on their CV for VSAS? I've been told to include them and not to include them. I don't want to look tacky.

I'm not going to put my board scores, as they'll have access to those elsewhere. I am planning on including my GPA and class rank though.

Do people put their board scores (if they're good) on their CV for VSAS? I've been told to include them and not to include them. I don't want to look tacky.

I put mine, along with shelf grades, although I'm not sure it matters, I got 3/3 of the aways i applied to fwiw.

I put my scuba and forklift certifications on it. Try not to over think it.

simply attending a conference doesn't go on your CV. if you had a poster or presentation at the conference then that belongs on your CV. However if you're truly desperate to put something on your CV you can list conferences attended

What about abstracts that have been accepted to meetings where someone else will be presenting my poster? The meeting in question is out of the country and the lab can't afford to send multiple people to present and the chosen presenter has a podium presentation and can staff my poster. Also what about posters that were presented by others with your name as a contributing author?

What about abstracts that have been accepted to meetings where someone else will be presenting my poster? The meeting in question is out of the country and the lab can't afford to send multiple people to present and the chosen presenter has a podium presentation and can staff my poster. Also what about posters that were presented by others with your name as a contributing author?

both of those count and should be included on your CV

I'm a US Citizen attending one of the better Caribbean schools. My CV is pretty sparse. I did not do that well on Step 1 (above a 200 but below the US mean). It was the only "bad" standardized test result for me, unfortunately. I am a member of Mensa. Would it be too pompous/tacky to put that on my CV? I am desperate to make my CV look better for residency. I don't have any research experience and probably won't be able to get any as I complete my final 2 years. Thanks.

I'm a US Citizen attending one of the better Caribbean schools. My CV is pretty sparse. I did not do that well on Step 1 (above a 200 but below the US mean). It was the only "bad" standardized test result for me, unfortunately. I am a member of Mensa. Would it be too pompous/tacky to put that on my CV? I am desperate to make my CV look better for residency. I don't have any research experience and probably won't be able to get any as I complete my final 2 years. Thanks.

Tell them you are in MENSA.

T

....Why cant you get any in 2 years? Youre probably in NYC, right? No excuse.

Thanks for the advice; I'll leave it off. No, I'm not only in NYC. I will be rotating around the country the next year. 3 months in Miami, then Youngstown, 14 weeks in NYC at 2 different hospitals, back to Miami. Any suggestions on research projects I could get involved in during my rotations?

Little case reports are easy to do and take less than a month. You can do the chart review part of retrospectives in 1-3 months and spend the rest of the year writing. It's doable, but it will be a pain. Your schedule does suck.

What specialty are you applying to? Other than research, extracurriculars are generally not necessary. And research is only important if you want to be at a big academic center or competitive specialty, which I sense you are not aiming for.