CV help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uncwalley

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that my 3rd year of residency has started, I suppose I should start looking for jobs. I have done resumes before, but am a little at a loss for what my CV should look like now. I understand putting the basics like my med school and undergrad info, residency training, any awards and what not, interests. What else goes in? I have some research that is underway but not complete yet (and I'm likely not looking for an academic job anyway). It just seems that at this point, it's too early to have anything good to put on a CV.

Has anybody found any good advice or tips anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Put your name and contact info at the top.

the first thing you want to put on your CV is where you did your residency training. (remember, non-EM trained people still apply for EM jobs and the first question most people want to know is are you EM trained.)
(then put your med school and college)

Next you should put certifications etc: Board eligability, where you have a medical license from, your U/S credentialling if you have it (most residents should have ACEP level II), badges (ATLS, ACLS, PALS, etc),

What comes next depends on the kind of job you are applying for.

You want to 'spin' your CV to what kind of job you are applying for.

Things people put in:

administrative duties they have done
research
publications
committees they have been on
lectures they have given
projects they have been involved in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Roja covered most of the high-yield points. Do a Google search for "medical CV" to come up with some examples. Show your CV to some people you trust at work (your advisor and program director) before sending it to anyone.

Particularly if you are going to be preparing a CV to pass out at job fairs at ACEP and the like, the last category on your CV should be " references available upon request" so that the people you ask to be your references don't get hassled by people who are not serious about hiring you. Some recruiters will also take advantage of having this contact information available by reaching out to these people for unrelated issues ("Charming rural town seeks emergency physician, competitive salary and benefits package. Great school. Municipal telephone and electrical service now available. New county-wide methamphetamine task force! Only 80 miles to the nearest gas station!").

in addition to the tips on a cv, i'd advocate for a cover letter as well. plenty of people send in cv's, not everyone sends a cover letter. it doesn't need to be particulary long, but it can quickly cover some of your cv (i.e. qualifications) while adding some personality (what sets you apart, why you're interested in working with that group, why you'd be willing to move to a certain location, etc.).

two resources i used to help me with my cv and cover letter when looking for a position after residency:

http://www.nejmjobs.org/career-resources/physician-cover-letters.aspx

http://www.thedoctorjob.com/careercorner/view_article.php?id_article=13 (this link also has tips on writing a cv as an attending, a resident, and as a medical student).

Here here, on the cover letter. The cover letter is where you express your interest and get to put in some extra info that doesn't go in your CV. Things like the typical volume etc of where you trained, etc.

I think Quinn and I put up samples of our CV's a couple of years ago. You could try and search as well. Or PM me, I'll drop you an example of my CV.

Now that my 3rd year of residency has started, I suppose I should start looking for jobs. I have done resumes before, but am a little at a loss for what my CV should look like now. I understand putting the basics like my med school and undergrad info, residency training, any awards and what not, interests. What else goes in? I have some research that is underway but not complete yet (and I'm likely not looking for an academic job anyway). It just seems that at this point, it's too early to have anything good to put on a CV.

Has anybody found any good advice or tips anywhere?

Sorry to bump an old thread. Wanted to get some thoughts on CVs. As a fresh graduate, my CV has the typical stuff like committees and research done in residency, but I was wondering if it was standard for people to put things like pre-medical school jobs on there (medically related ones especially) as well as community service related activities. Trying to make the transition from medical school/residency app CV to real world job CV is a little tricky when it comes to the details.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump an old thread. Wanted to get some thoughts on CVs. As a fresh graduate, my CV has the typical stuff like committees and research done in residency, but I was wondering if it was standard for people to put things like pre-medical school jobs on there (medically related ones especially) as well as community service related activities. Trying to make the transition from medical school/residency app CV to real world job CV is a little tricky when it comes to the details.
I can't speak for EM specifically, but in general, unless your "medically related job" was as an MBA in a hospital C-suite somewhere, nothing before residency really matters other than your undergrad and med school diplomas.

I can't speak for EM specifically, but in general, unless your "medically related job" was as an MBA in a hospital C-suite somewhere, nothing before residency really matters other than your undergrad and med school diplomas.

That's kinda what I figured. There is one hospital that I'd like to work at where I held a job there for several years before med school. I guess I could see putting it on there for them because they might be like, "Hey, this guy already worked here, and he came back. Maybe he'd be more likely to stay."

That's kinda what I figured. There is one hospital that I'd like to work at where I held a job there for several years before med school. I guess I could see putting it on there for them because they might be like, "Hey, this guy already worked here, and he came back. Maybe he'd be more likely to stay."
This is what the cover letter is for. Doesn't belong in a CV, but can definitely allude to it in the cover letter.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Reactions: 1 users
Since I took a non-traditional path, I have a gap of about 7 years between competing undergrad and starting medical school. Still leave my non-medical work out of it? Will the gap be an issue when applying to jobs or is that cover letter material? Does it even matter at this point?

Since I took a non-traditional path, I have a gap of about 7 years between competing undergrad and starting medical school. Still leave my non-medical work out of it? Will the gap be an issue when applying to jobs or is that cover letter material? Does it even matter at this point?

I don't know if you have to put it down for a CV directed toward future employers, but I do know that they may ask you about what you did during those years when they do the vetting/credentialing process. I think it's to make sure all years are accounted for and you weren't incarcerated or something....

I had a couple month gap after medical school, due to being off-cycle, and they asked me to submit documentation of what I did during that time period.

But, I don't think you need to include this in your initial CV, as it could cause your CV to become cluttered.

If it's germane, then cover letter. If it led to a degree, then CV.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

If it's germane, then cover letter. If it led to a degree, then CV.
Exactly. Once you start med school, the clock starts over WRT how much people care about what happened before. As long as your "non-traditional path" didn't involve 7 years in jail, or running an international drug cartel, unless it's relevant to your current career, nobody will care.

Exactly. Once you start med school, the clock starts over WRT how much people care about what happened before. As long as your "non-traditional path" didn't involve 7 years in jail, or running an international drug cartel, unless it's relevant to your current career, nobody will care.

Thanks for the tips. What about stuff like "volunteer work," even if it was done it med school/residency? They just don't feel right to me on my CV now.

Thanks for the tips. What about stuff like "volunteer work," even if it was done it med school/residency? They just don't feel right to me on my CV now.
It would have to be super relevant IMHO.

For EM, I'm thinking something like SAR or medical mission stuff might be reasonable to include. Most other things likely aren't. But I'll gladly defer to the actual EM attendings here on that particular aspect. I've seen a bunch of CVs for my specialty and probably 20% include volunteer work and it's always very relevant to the specialty.

And before anyone asks, no, being the president of your med school EMIG is NOT something to put on a professional resume.

Reactions: 1 user