Sharing CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicksMD

House Stark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard that sharing your CV with recruiters can lead to them sending it to hospitals and taking your sign on bonus. How does this happen and how do you prevent it?

Members don't see this ad.

How does this happen? Literally?
If I sign a contract with "ACME Hospital, USA" and my contract calls for a 50K sign on bonus, don't you think I would notice if I didn't get it?

Reactions: 1 user
How does this happen? Literally?
If I sign a contract with "ACME Hospital, USA" and my contract calls for a 50K sign on bonus, don't you think I would notice if I didn't get it?
Yeah, but the bonus can easily be an under the table thing that's not written in the contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm confused as to how it happens.

Say some unscrupulous staffing firm has my CV. They submit it to the HR department for a hospital and say "we would like Dr. TheGenius's signing bonus." The hospital would say "we didn't hire Dr. TheGenius.

Am I missing something here?

I’ve heard that sharing your CV with recruiters can lead to them sending it to hospitals and taking your sign on bonus. How does this happen and how do you prevent it?
Dunno if it's a thing. But you can prevent it by not sharing your CV :)

Here's a little secret. Usually if you want to work in a certain area, you can figure out which hospital recruiters are referring to in their ads by calling around. If the hospital is really hard up for jobs: Just call the ER, ask to talk to the current doc on or medical director, and tell them you want a job.

In fact, that's how I got my current job. Everyone wins, except the recruiters.

Reactions: 1 user
This is how it might work: The hospital or group has (privately) earmarked up to $50K to bring in a badly needed doc, yet they're only advertising $25K. They're happy to give $25K to a recruiter and $25K to the doc. But you find them without a recruiter because the $25K in some ad you saw, caught your interest. There's no recruiter to give the extra $25K to. But it's potentially available to you, if you ask for it, i.e. it's negotiable. If you don't ask for it, and they can get you just as easily with a $25K carrot, then that's what they put in your contract.

TLDR: Once a recruiter can tie you to them, they can leverage a chunk of money as their fee, from money that otherwise might have been available to you.

100%

I got a 75k signing bonus with my group. I contacted them directly asking for a job.

A colleague that started at the same time responded to a recruiter ad and got 50k.

I never said anything, no point in just making him sad. I had heard about this prior to my job search and wanted to reach out directly for this exact reason.

This is how it might work: The hospital or group has (privately) earmarked up to $50K to bring in a badly needed doc, yet they're only advertising $25K. They're happy to give $25K to a recruiter and $25K to the doc. But you find them without a recruiter because the $25K in some ad you saw, caught your interest. There's no recruiter to give the extra $25K to. But it's potentially available to you, if you ask for it, i.e. it's negotiable. If you don't ask for it, and they can get you just as easily with a $25K carrot, then that's what they put in your contract.

TLDR: Once a recruiter can tie you to them, they can leverage a chunk of money as their fee, from money that otherwise might have been available to you.

In that scenario...I found that job above without them. Wouldn't the hospital say "Mr. or Mrs. Recruiter....we didn't use you to hire Dr. TheGenius." You ain't getting any money from us.

In that scenario...I found that job above without them. Wouldn't the hospital say "Mr. or Mrs. Recruiter....we didn't use you to hire Dr. TheGenius." You ain't getting any money from us.
Yes