CVS: No more 12-hour shifts..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericn2k3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks back while the yearly audit was being done, I heard rumors that corporate is doing away with 12 and 14 hour shifts. I guess its true because RXM is making a new schedule. Anyone hear anything?

Members don't see this ad.

This has been an ongoing talk for years. I think it's district specific. They did eliminate a lot of the 14 hour shifts when they cut back pharmacy hours from 8am-10pm to 8am-9pm.

Also think about the weekend shifts at 24/7 stores. They continue to be 12 hours. 8am-8pm and 8pm-8am. I have never seen split shifts on the weekends yet at these stores.

Wow, 14 hours is a long time. The legal limit is 12 in MA. Many of the overnight Rphs do 12 hours for 7 days on, 7 days off. On holidays, they switch to a weekend schedule where the day person does 12 hours and the night person does he usual 12 hours. How would that work if they eliminated 12 hours shifts?

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to be that you can't do back to back 12 hour shifts (not including weekends) and Monday's have to be split now. It appears to be coming from Rhode Island. It doesn't affect me, though, I work 10s and 12s on weekends...so it sort of went in one ear out the other.

Well, that kind of sucks if you like 3 or more days off at a time. (Also some pharmacies are still open 14 hours.) If this is mandated it basically removes one of the few benefits of working for CVS (pharmacists can do their own schedule and you can work 12/13/14 hour shifts to free up more days off).

This has been an ongoing talk for years. I think it's district specific. They did eliminate a lot of the 14 hour shifts when they cut back pharmacy hours from 8am-10pm to 8am-9pm.

Also think about the weekend shifts at 24/7 stores. They continue to be 12 hours. 8am-8pm and 8pm-8am. I have never seen split shifts on the weekends yet at these stores.

All of those 14 hour shifts they "eliminated" just became 13 hour shifts. Probably not many people singing CVS's praises on that one.

This started in many districts at least a year ago requiring splitting shifts except for weekends and each person can work one "long" 12-14 hour day per week. In most districts they didn't require it for 24 hour stores since they wouldn't require it for the night shift and don't want to mess up whats working in high volume 24 hr stores.

Literally no stores in my district don't have 4-5 hours of overlap a day. Most stores have two 10-12 hour overlapping shifts for pharmacists (8-6/7 and 9/10-9). If they got rid of 12 hour shifts they would have to bring in a third pharmacist. Maybe this is a problem in lower volume areas but we haven't heard anything about it up here. We are an extremely high volume district though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile