CVS plans massive hiring surge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpha12

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Faced with crippling labor shortages that are hobbling its efforts to serve as a provider of COVID-19 tests and vaccinations, CVS will hire 25,000 new workers this week in a large-scale "hiring spree." The nation's largest pharmacy chain has grappled with "chaotic" scenes at its stores in recent months, marked by enormous lines, poor customer service and staff burnout. Customers have frequently lashed out at CVS employees.

• CVS will host a hiring event on Friday to immediately fill 19,000 open roles and add another 6,000 jobs nationally.
  • Walgreens, which is also suffering from staffing shortages, will raise its minimum hourly rate to $15 per hour from next month.

Good news?

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
All the new hires will be required to have the covid shot and soon all the unvaccinated techs will get booted.

We've been trying to hire people for months. Nobody wants to work at CVS.

25,000 people is 2.5 people per store. They need more than that, tbh.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who wants to work for CVS? I’ll quit the profession before I work for them again.

Reactions: 11 users
How generous of CVS to open their doors and give people an opportunity to work.
I know so many people wanted work for them but were turned away.

Sarcasm btw

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I remember they used to have that personality online assessment that was a bunch of questions. That was lunacy.

Reactions: 2 users
Good for unemployed new grads, better than nothing.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, anyone remember that promise of massive hiring March 2020 due to the pandemic? Whatever happened?

The only way I see making pharmacy technicians more sustainable, appealing to apply for is pay increase, all on Corporate. Even the best PICs are struggling to keep a complete/adequate roster of technicians, clearing queues have been nearly impossible (QP bottlenecked indefinitely most stores)

One of the store I interned at was hiring for techs for more than 6 months last year, no one came. This was in great state of california LOL

I've heard some McDonald's are hiring for $18/hr. Less stress than CVS.

I've heard some McDonald's are hiring for $18/hr. Less stress than CVS.
Not really. I used to work there in high school and it definitely not an easy job. There a reason mcd has a 50%turnover rate

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the store I interned at was hiring for techs for more than 6 months last year, no one came. This was in great state of california LOL

There are options for even newly licensed techs with no experience. With all sorts of pharmacies and also PBMs all looking for techs (TBH been this way for the last 18 months), drugstore chain retail/Wahmart gets the bottom of the barrel / people with life issues if there is even anyone (serious) left to apply.

Ex: interviewed 2 new techs from a local tech training program. They look around this ****ty area and bounce.

I love techs getting to be choosy. They have to deal with a lot of **** day in and day out. I am glad they are finally getting theres.

Reactions: 3 users
The one person I know who flogs pillz for CVS is long term and has never been happy..(is anyone in retail?) This sniffs of an emergency hiring spree followed by the inevitable bootaroo as the CO-bugz get controlled.

I'd only work there per diem and at the minimum I'd want $95/hr and the freedom to wear scrubs and sneakers.
agree...too bad though chains consider it a conflict of interest......

Im to the point where I dont even want an extra shift anymore....Id rather have the day off.

Reactions: 1 users
agree...too bad though chains consider it a conflict of interest......

Im to the point where I dont even want an extra shift anymore....Id rather have the day off.
It is crazy I used to work Retail and often would Moonlight At a store across town or even just across the street. They were so desperate they didn’t even care (PS I even asked my DM for permission)

Whatever cvs is selling, don't buy it. They did same thing last year. And actually hired a few people. 2 months later they were gone. This looks like their typical seasonal pattern now and flex scheduling

Walmart is offering $1,000 bonuses for certified (CPHT/exCPT) pharmacy techs and they don't even need to do the immunization training.

No one at any chain is happy these days. From cashier to tech; tech to staff rph; staff to manager; manager to supervisor; people in other management roles etc.

I know people in all above positions and everyone is miserable. People in hospital are even feeling heat. My friend works in hospital and there is a severe tech shortage. Pharmacists are basically working as technicians since they can’t find actual techs.

Part of it is people don't want to "risk" getting sick at work but these dip****s are much more likely to collect COVID living their norm**** lives.

No one at any chain is happy these days. From cashier to tech; tech to staff rph; staff to manager; manager to supervisor; people in other management roles etc.

I know people in all above positions and everyone is miserable. People in hospital are even feeling heat. My friend works in hospital and there is a severe tech shortage. Pharmacists are basically working as technicians since they can’t find actual techs.
LOL. Just pay the techs more and they will come. Yall pharmacists should know. Yall got paid big time during the shortage.

LOL. Just pay the techs more and they will come. Yall pharmacists should know. Yall got paid big time during the shortage.

Yes, any sane rph will fully support more tech pay at this point. Who is opposing it?

Yes, any sane rph will fully support more tech pay at this point. Who is opposing it?
A lot. They probably feel that if they get 45 an hour, a tech dont deserve 30. Unfortunately that is not the way free market capitalism works. You are worth whatever the market dictates you are worth.

• Wow
A lot. They probably feel that if they get 45 an hour, a tech dont deserve 30. Unfortunately that is not the way free market capitalism works. You are worth whatever the market dictates you are worth.

Don't know about paying $30 but I can definitely see starting pay at around $18- $19 and going up if they prove themselves each year in evaluations. You don't automatically get $30. It's like me asking for $75 an hour just because there is temporary rph shortage. Even if I get it right now, I won't keep that job for long once things go back to normal.

$18 - $19 start is more than reasonable for someone with just high school diploma. If techs want to make $30+ an hour, they should go to dental hygiene/ nursing school.

Don't know about paying $30 but I can definitely see starting pay at around $18- $19 and going up if they prove themselves each year in evaluations.
It doesn't matter what you think they are worth. The market dictates that.
You don't automatically get $30. It's like me asking for $75 an hour just because there is temporary rph shortage. Even if I get it right now, I won't keep that job for long once things go back to normal.
If you are getting 75/hr you should take it. Free market capitalism.
$18 - $19 start is more than reasonable for someone with just high school diploma. If techs want to make $30+ an hour, they should go to dental hygiene/ nursing school.
I'm not a betting man, but I would bet your techs don't like you very much. Does that logic apply to pharmacist as well? If you don't like you are paying too much loans, you shouldn't have taken them correct?

I'm not a betting man, but I would bet your techs don't like you very much. Does that logic apply to pharmacist as well? If you don't like you are paying too much loans, you shouldn't have taken them correct?

If someone has a differing view than you then that’s okay; no need to get upset or make any assumptions.

If they can make $30 an hour, fair play to them. Minimal education and no real liability :p Will be a dream job for many.

If someone has a differing view than you then that’s okay; no need to get upset or make any assumptions.

If they can make $30 an hour, fair play to them. Minimal education and no real liability :p Will be a dream job for many.
Education has no value. You have a pharmD but there ar bsn making more money than you. It's just whatever the market dictates

What do you mean by “no value”? If you mean economic value, obviously it depends on major, but income and education are tightly correlated.

Source: Measuring the value of education : Career Outlook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
It's really skewed. It really depends on what degree you get. If you have a pharmD, do you really think you are better off than anyone with a lesser degree? Your degree counts as a professional degree but you might make less money than someone with an associates or no degree at all.

It's really skewed. It really depends on what degree you get. If you have a pharmD, do you really think you are better off than anyone with a lesser degree? Your degree counts as a professional degree but you might make less money than someone with an associates or no degree at all.

Yep, I know people who have zero college education who are making 400k+/year in IT. They just taught themselves Linux and other codes.

Uncle Todd lived till he was 90 despite smoking his whole life; this proves smoking has no adverse effects on health.

Reactions: 4 users
Movie stars and pro athletes make more than I could ever hope to. I wouldn’t do those instead of pharmacy.

I already said that it “depends on the major”. Of course there are degrees more valuable than a PharmD. No question there, I wasn’t arguing about that. Your statement that “education has no value” is false, unless your definition of value is different than mine.

Uncle Todd lived till he was 90 despite smoking his whole life; this proves smoking has no adverse effects on health.
Longevity has a lot do with genes. If you look at most centenarians, many of them have vices like smoking and drinking. Some lived off of candy. Not to say smoking is good for you. Don't do it.

Last edited:
Your statement that “education has no value” is false, unless your definition of value is different than mine.
I think it's true. Like I said not many employers give a **** about your degree. I know the numbers show one thing but you have to look at the context. Some high paying fields like medicine require degrees and that skews the results but the vast majority don't. I know three home builders. One has a masters in civil engineering, one has an associates in construction management, and one has nothing. All three make bank right now because of the housing market. The market doesn't give a rat's ass about their degrees. All three are busy right now because there services are in demand.

I think it's true. Like I said not many employers give a **** about your degree.

True many employers don't care what your degree is in, but many employers will preferentially hire someone with even an associates, over someone with just a HS diploma. For the same reason they might give a reading or math test, to many people with HS diploma's who can't do a basic level of reading or writing. Someone with an associates or bachelor's is going to have a basic level of education that most employers will prefer for even a starting wage job.
Of course, the trades will often do better than an associates or bachelor's (depending on their degree.) But to do a trade requires education as well (even if the education is gained on the job or via apprenticeship.)

1633214049580.jpeg

Movie stars and pro athletes make more than I could ever hope to. I wouldn’t do those instead of pharmacy.

I already said that it “depends on the major”. Of course there are degrees more valuable than a PharmD. No question there, I wasn’t arguing about that. Your statement that “education has no value” is false, unless your definition of value is different than mine.

Interesting article. Is there a point you are trying to prove or did you just wanted to share a cool article?
I thought it bolstered my point but I guess not.

I thought it bolstered my point but I guess not.
Yeah I would say that’s a fair statement. I already agreed that major/degree matters. That article to me seems to be addressing pointless majors and that there are ways to succeed without getting a degree. I agree with both those points.

I also think education has value, which is proven by actual data/studies and not just articles trying to prove the opposite without any sort of aggregated data.

The nurses they are bringing in are... Interesting. One didn't know how a luer lock prefilled flu vaccine worked. She was over there trying to draw it up with a separate syringe and needle. None of them know how to do any insurance. Or work any of the computers. So literally all they do is give shots. A 30 second task that is the most straightforward and easy part of the process. It's 5 minutes of staring at us while doing nothing, then 1 minute of giving a vaccine. Rinse wash repeat.

And they are getting paid $75/hr to do it.

What a joke.

I already had a strong dislike for nurses and especially their God damned union from working at a hospital. They...aren't helping themselves with the effort shown here, either.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
The nurses they are bringing in are... Interesting. One didn't know how a luer lock prefilled flu vaccine worked. She was over there trying to draw it up with a separate syringe and needle. None of them know how to do any insurance. Or work any of the computers. So literally all they do is give shots. A 30 second task that is the most straightforward and easy part of the process. It's 5 minutes of staring at us while doing nothing, then 1 minute of giving a vaccine. Rinse wash repeat.

What a joke.

I already had a strong dislike for nurses and especially their God damned union from working at a hospital. They...aren't helping themselves with the effort shown here, either.
Lmao i am the immunizer at my CVS (Technician)… where is my 70/hr🥲

What a joke.

Are they expected to do order entry? Were they trained in RXnet or whatever software you guys use? Do they have logins and passwords? If not then I don't see how you can blame them.

They got their BSNs for 20k while us pharmacists paid 150k for pharmDs. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Lmao i am the immunizer at my CVS (Technician)… where is my 70/hr🥲

You can become an RN in two years for a fraction of the cost of pharmacy school. No one is stopping you.

Are they expected to do order entry? Were they trained in RXnet or whatever software you guys use? Do they have logins and passwords? If not then I don't see how you can blame them.

They got their BSNs for 20k while us pharmacists paid 150k for pharmDs. We have no one to blame but ourselves.
Hells no. You try to teach them to do it and they are all "I'm here to give shots, not do billing." They were just hired and thrown at stores with no clear expectations set other than "you'll vaccinate people."

As with most CVS things, it was done in a reactionary way and with little to no planning.

• Haha