D, E , G,Y ,H and L designations for R group on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@pinnacle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Question 33 on the physical and chemical foundations of the AAMC MCAT 2015 practice test and Question 50 of the Examcrackers practice test have these weird designations given to amino acids . I am aware of what L ,R ,D and S mean but what in the world are E,H,G,and Y .I could find any info on this ,so any clarification or study aid website will be appreciated ?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Amino acid Three letter code One letter code

alanine --- ala --- A

arginine --- arg --- R

asparagine -- asn --- N

aspartic acid --- asp --- D

asparagine or aspartic acid --- asx---- B

cysteine -------- cys ------ C

glutamic acid---glu---E

glutamine---gln----Q

glutamine or glutamic acid----glx----Z

glycine----gly----G

histidine----his---H

isoleucine----ile----I

leucine---leu---L

lysine---lys---K

methionine---met---M

phenylalanine---phe---F

proline---pro---P

serine--ser---S

threonine---thr----T

tryptophan----trp---W

tyrosine----tyr---Y

valine---val---V
I hope this will be helpful .

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Guys,

Question 33 on the physical and chemical foundations of the AAMC MCAT 2015 practice test and Question 50 of the Examcrackers practice test have these weird designations given to amino acids . I am aware of what L ,R ,D and S mean but what in the world are E,H,G,and Y .I could find any info on this ,so any clarification or study aid website will be appreciated ?

Thank you

This is a little corny...but you might find it helpful in memorizing those 1-letter abbreviations, which you absolutely do need to know for MCAT-2015. My students like it and we entertain ourselves making fun of it from time to time:

Reactions: 1 user