D.O student worried about Caribbean students taking our residencies....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anything going on in here I should step in and comment on?

Havent done anything academic-oriented here in a while. Guess I owe my osteopathic magician students some charity. Give back to the community.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
the obsession is strange and pathological. .. asperger arrogance is incurable

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
anything going on in here I should step in and comment on?

Havent done anything academic-oriented here in a while. Guess I owe my osteopathic magician students some charity. Give back to the community.
I remember you said you were somewhat involved in the merger process. Do you think the ACGME forced their hand with the fellowship bargaining chip?

post-49438-South-Park-they-took-our-jobs-LuEy.gif

Reactions: 2 users
No, but patients need protection against inadequately trained doctors, who specifically go to these places because by paying large sums of money, they can skirt the requirements for medical students.

Unless you're OK with the idea that someone can get a MD degree simply by breathing and writing a tuition check?

I don't use the term "diploma mill" for laughs. My colleague Hushcom has a better term for it: "educational malpractice".

This is silly. Goro is a non-physician (PhD) faculty member who sits on the admission committee at a DO medical school.

He has zero qualifications that would enable him to judge the competency of any physician, caribbean trained or otherwise.

He also has a vested interest in making it seem like DOs receive a better training that caribbean students.

I also have a question. If in caribbean schools you can just "get a MD degree simply by breathing and writing a tuition check?", why are the attrition rates so high? Are that many people dying (no longer breathing)? Because if so that really would be a story.

The argument that caribs take students who shouldn't be admitted, take their money, and then kick them out after 2 semesters is a valid point. You can definitely argue this is not OK and should be stopped. But at the same time you can not claim that they are just diploma mills.

Also, 90% of the rotations I did in medical school were alongside DO students, so are willing to say they were also inadequately trained?

Last edited:
This is silly. Goro is a non-physician (PhD) faculty member who sits on the admission committee at a DO medical school.

He has zero qualifications that would enable him to judge the competency of any physician, caribbean trained or otherwise.

He also has a vested interest in making it seem like DOs receive a better training that caribbean students.

I also have a question. If in caribbean schools you can just "get a MD degree simply by breathing and writing a tuition check?", why are the attrition rates so high? Are that many people dying (no longer breathing)? Because if so that really would be a story.

The argument that caribs take students who shouldn't be admitted, take their money, and then kick them out after 2 semesters is a valid point. You can definitely argue this is not OK and should be stopped. But at the same time you can not claim that they are just diploma mills.

Also, 90% of the rotations I did in medical school were alongside DO students, so are willing to say they were also inadequately trained?

If they aren't diploma mills, why did you feel the need to apply to 120 IM programs?

Reactions: 3 users
If they aren't diploma mills, why did you feel the need to apply to 120 IM programs?

What does that have to do with whether or not caribbean schools are diploma mills? I see no connection. I applied to 120 programs because it is harder to match as an IMG, duh, and I wanted to keep all my options open.

He implied all you have to do to get a diploma is show up and pay tuition, which is patently false. At Ross you have to, among other things like pass your classes and rotations, pass Step 1/CK/CS. There is no way a person can fake that.

And I'll make this point again. You can't make the argument that caribbean schools have too high attrition rates, and then at the same time call them diploma mills. Those 2 arguments just do not logically work together.

Hmmm....you're starting to fulminate.

Since the aggregate of these mills have more drop-outs and unemployed grads, they prove my case. As I'll point out yet again, based upon their current graduation rates and match rates ,and were based in the US, they would be shut down by LCME and COCA. Even SGU and Ross.

I can't argue with a case in point, and if you paid attention, I specifically pointed out that it was the residencies that are poor, where Carib grads manage to end up in. Good luck with yours. My own students end up quite nicely, and happy.

Also, 90% of the rotations I did in medical school were alongside DO students, so are willing to say they were also inadequately trained?[/QUOTE]

It's taken you less than a week to run through literally every tired offshore trope. Congratulations on the rapid cycling.

Thanks! It probably would have taken me longer if you guys didn't make it so easy.

Seriously, whether it was you posting a chart everywhere and then completely misinterpreting and misrepresenting the results, or Goro just presenting speculative nonsense as fact, it hasn't really been that hard to blow up your arguments using, you know, reality.

And then once that happens, all you guys do is resort to petty insults and name calling (like above)

As I have repeatedly said, I have no skin in this game anymore. Every caribbean school could shut down tomorrow and it would have zero affect on my life. I'm not painting caribbean medical education as all rainbows and unicorns, but the narrative you guys present is hogwash.

Members don't see this ad :)
The correctly interpreted chart still looks plenty horrifying. And I've since clarified with accurate numbers in multiple subsequent posts as well as apologized for my initial misinterpretation.

Funny thing is some of us can actually admit when we are in the wrong. Turns out the actual numbers are plenty bad on their own though.

Ok I'll try one more time with those charts. Yes, the preferred specialty thing only adds ~5% to the match statistics. But that still does not paint an accurate picture of first-time match success for US-IMGs.

If you look further into the data, the mean time since graduation for the unmatched cohort of US-IMGs is 5.7 years. This means that the majority of US-IMGs that don't match aren't "fresh" graduates, they have been out of school for an average of 6 years.

There is absolutely a small cohort of caribbean grads who manage to graduate from school but are so bad that they can't get a residency position. Those people continue to apply every year, so the number builds up and actually becomes substantial.

If you want to include all the previous year's graduates that are still applying for the match to discuss yearly match rates (which is what the NRMP data reports do), then you should also include all the people from those previous years who did match (which the NRMP data reports do not).

As I've stated, the match rate for first-time applicants from Ross last year was 86%. I would not categorize this as plenty bad, as it is only 8% lower than the US MD average, and higher than the 77% US DO average.

If I was wrong I would absolutely admit it. One thing going to a caribbean medical school absolutely does is engrain some humility in you. It's just you guys treat speculative opinion as fact, which it is not.

Let's break this down by how the merger is going to affect each group:

US MDs - Neutral or slight advantage: Most students won't even know that this happened. Won't affect 90% of applicants. Since there is no provision for a combined match there won't be more competition from DO students. In fact more DOs may be inclined to participate in the AOA match since those programs that apply for ACGME accreditation will have provisional accreditation for 5 years. This may lead to less competition from qualified DOs. In addition for those applying in fields that are competitive due to few residency spots they will have the option to apply to former-AOA programs as well.

DOs - Disadvantage: The merger essentially closes the backdoor that DOs had to practicing medicine wherein they did not have to meet any of the LCME, USMLE, or ACGME standards but be considered to have had equivalent training. Through extremely lax standards COCA and the AOA have expanded med school enrollment and in turn created low-quality residency programs (mostly IM and FM) that it can herd all the new graduates into regardless of their competency or level of achievement. The merger not only threatens to close these programs leaving a sizable number of DOs unmatched. On top of that it allows US MDs and more importantly IMGs and FMGs to apply to formerly AOA programs, injecting more competition into the process. There is no provision for a combined match which would mitigate some of these consequences. So bottom line for DOs is: more graduates, fewer programs, more competition all of which are disadvantageous for DOs as a whole since, among other things, match rates will decrease.

IMGs an FMGs - slight advantage: Put simply they'll have more programs to apply to with formerly AOA programs getting ACGME accreditation with a provision that they must accept applications from all. Until there is a provision for a combined match (which there isn't) DOs who in the past may have decided to take a chance with the ACGME match may decide to play it safe by applying in the AOA match since those programs will also have ACGME accreditation. This would mean less competition for IMGs/FMGs at low tier ACGME programs that are currently filled with IMGs and DOs. I haven't heard any logical argument as to why people think IMGs/FMGs will be "pushed out" ....it has just become one of those things that gets repeated over and over by people on pre-osteo and osteo forums without any supporting evidence. I want to be clear I'm not saying that IMG route is superior or preferable.... all I'm saying is that this merger isn't going to be the doomsday scenario for carib grads that some on this board are trying to portray.

thanks for posting a link to an article from 4 years ago that everyone has already read. you've again contributed nothing substantial to this discussion.

Carib grads do need to pass all 4 step exams. Also you learn to be a doctor in residency and carib grads have to go through the same residencies as US MDs. There's no backdoor and no watered down version. So while the attrition rate makes carib schools a poor educational and financial choice, those who make it to the finish line (i.e. finish residency) aren't inadequately trained. I would be more concerned about bottom-of-the-class DOs who do not take any step exams, go to a joke AOA residency program and get labeled fully trained physicians ready to practice medicine. In the near future with the merger, DO schools may also be guilty of "educational malpractice" if they don't significantly cut down their class size since match rates will surely drop.
As DO numbers have increased, a number of nearby residencies that traditionally filled entirely with Carib and IMG students have started slowly filling with DOs instead, at least in New England. It's certainly anecdotal, but I've been watching the competitiveness of the programs I've had an eye on since I first started considering medical school, and quite a few of them went from having 80% IMGs, 20% AMGs to 40% DO, 20% AMG, 40% IMG in the last three years alone. The program I'm eying second most heavily went from having 2 IMGs, 2 DOs, and 2 AMGs 3 years ago to having 6 DOs, 1 AMG, 1 IMG in their most recent group of residents. The program I'm hoping to get into the most had 2 DOs, 3 IMGs, 4 AMGs 3 years ago, and had 4 DOs, 4 AMGs, and 1 IMG in their most recent batch of residents. I mean, it's all anecdotal and regional, but things are looking pretty damn bright on the DO side for every residency I'm looking at, and pretty bad for Carib grads. I can't find a single place I'm interested in that's pushed out DOs in favor of IMGs, but I can find plenty of places that are pushing out IMGs in favor of DOs. Maybe it's just a New England trend, but whatever, this is where I plan to be anyway, so I'm okay with it.

Ok I'll try one more time with those charts. Yes, the preferred specialty thing only adds ~5% to the match statistics. But that still does not paint an accurate picture of first-time match success for US-IMGs.

If you look further into the data, the mean time since graduation for the unmatched cohort of US-IMGs is 5.7 years. This means that the majority of US-IMGs that don't match aren't "fresh" graduates, they have been out of school for an average of 6 years.

There is absolutely a small cohort of caribbean grads who manage to graduate from school but are so bad that they can't get a residency position. Those people continue to apply every year, so the number builds up and actually becomes substantial.

If you want to include all the previous year's graduates that are still applying for the match to discuss yearly match rates (which is what the NRMP data reports do), then you should also include all the people from those previous years who did match (which the NRMP data reports do not).

As I've stated, the match rate for first-time applicants from Ross last year was 86%. I would not categorize this as plenty bad, as it is only 8% lower than the US MD average, and higher than the 77% US DO average.
The DO match average is not even close to accurate, due to the fact that we participate in two residency matches. Ultimately, >98% of DOs get into residency in any given year, and our schools are actually required to publish results of match rates, board pass rates, and GME placement, unlike Caribbean schools. If they were more transparent, we wouldn't even have to argue about this. But they can't be, because that would drive students away, and they are operating for a profit, so transparency would hurt their bottom line considerably. That fact right there should be enough to be a red flag for anyone considering the Carib.

Since the aggregate of these mills have more drop-outs and unemployed grads, they prove my case. As I'll point out yet again, based upon their current graduation rates and match rates ,and were based in the US, they would be shut down by LCME and COCA. Even SGU and Ross.

Please don't use big words like fulminate, my feeble caribbean educated mind can't handle it. You were the one who called me a "shill," which is funny because you fit that description much more than I do.

Who cares, Ross/SGU are not in the United States, so therefore are not under the purview of LCME/COCA. You're still missing the point.

They fill a different role than US schools, and therefore should not be judged in the same manner. They let people prove that they are capable by actually going through medical school, whereas the US medical education system largely does not. There are only enough spots in US schools for the people who have already proven they have the tools to be competent physicians. While it would be great if this system was robust enough to fulfill the needs of the US residency system, it is not, being off by ~6000 graduates.

The US residency system (at this point in time at least), requires that people go to the caribbean to prove their worth. And while some people fail out and are saddled with debt, which totally sucks, thousands of people do not and go on to be competent physicians. And this is regardless of what you might think of the quality of their residency program (which as I have already pointed out, you have no qualifications to judge, seeing as you are not a physician and have no clinical training)

So no, caribbean schools are not the best option. But they are certainly a reasonable option for thousands of people. You repeatedly expunge a false narrative, and should be called out for doing so.

The DO match average is not even close to accurate, due to the fact that we participate in two residency matches. Ultimately, >98% of DOs get into residency in any given year, and our schools are actually required to publish results of match rates, board pass rates, and GME placement, unlike Caribbean schools. If they were more transparent, we wouldn't even have to argue about this. But they can't be, because that would drive students away, and they are operating for a profit, so transparency would hurt their bottom line considerably. That fact right there should be enough to be a red flag for anyone considering the Carib.

I wasn't commenting on the overall DO match rate. I was only pointing out that first-time Ross applicants were more successful in the NRMP last year than the DO average. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wasn't commenting on the overall DO match rate. I was only pointing out that first-time Ross applicants were more successful in the NRMP last year than the DO average. Nothing more, nothing less.
Fair enough. They're just two very different animals, so it's very hard to directly compare.

Saints just traded Jimmy Graham...F$&! Then I just read your post, and it almost pushed me over the edge. I need a drink.

Saints just traded Jimmy Graham...F$&! Then I just read your post, and it almost pushed me over the edge. I need a drink.

What exactly is your problem with my post? Too much fact? Not enough speculative, unsubstantiated opinion?

Yes. without a doubt.
Well Chris Griffen is banned now but I'm sure he still lurks. I wonder what his rebuttal would be this time.

Followup up question Espana: Do you believe people in high powered AOA positions disingenuously used "protecting DO distinctiveness" as some bull **** mantra when they were really protecting their cush, high salaried jobs while going against the interest of the vast majority of DO students/physicians?

No need to answer this one. It's strictly rhetorical.

Well Chris Griffen is banned now but I'm sure he still lurks. I wonder what his rebuttal would be this time.

Followup up question Espana: Do you believe people in high powered AOA positions disingenuously used "protecting DO distinctiveness" as some bull **** mantra when they were really protecting their cush, high salaried jobs while going against the interest of the vast majority of DO students/physicians?

I'm pretty sure 90% of young DOs and DO students feel this way about the AOA and COCA in general.

Somewhat. I think they truly believe it. I also believe that Bureaucracy (of all kinds) is a self sustaining organism. It will do whatever it takes to survive. The two things can co-exist. They can both truly believe it with all their heart, and believe it *even more* because it benefits them to do so.

Is it against the desires of the majority of DO physicians? Thats actually debateable. Many are older and simply do not care the way you think they do, and/or have fears of change. Is it against the opinions of the majority of DO students and residents? Almost certainly, but you would find that its not as overwhelming as you'd think either.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure 90% of young DOs and DO students feel this way about the AOA and COCA in general.

The kicker though, is that this group of people doesnt make up the majority.
There are far more DOs in practice than there are in training.

...I also have a question. If in caribbean schools you can just "get a MD degree simply by breathing and writing a tuition check?", why are the attrition rates so high? Are that many people dying (no longer breathing)? Because if so that really would be a story.

The argument that caribs take students who shouldn't be admitted, take their money, and then kick them out after 2 semesters is a valid point. You can definitely argue this is not OK and should be stopped. But at the same time you can not claim that they are just diploma mills...

To be fair, you really shouldn't conflate Carib med schools with just the big 4. There are something like 40-50 Carib med schools. Many do actually let you graduate without passing the steps and many are sending the majority of their graduates back to the US with nothing but loans.

Fortunately those schools don't cost nearly as much as the big 4, which cost as much or more than US schools.

Please don't use big words like fulminate, my feeble caribbean educated mind can't handle it. You were the one who called me a "shill," which is funny because you fit that description much more than I do.

Who cares, Ross/SGU are not in the United States, so therefore are not under the purview of LCME/COCA. You're still missing the point.

They fill a different role than US schools, and therefore should not be judged in the same manner. They let people prove that they are capable by actually going through medical school, whereas the US medical education system largely does not. There are only enough spots in US schools for the people who have already proven they have the tools to be competent physicians. While it would be great if this system was robust enough to fulfill the needs of the US residency system, it is not, being off by ~6000 graduates.

The US residency system (at this point in time at least), requires that people go to the caribbean to prove their worth. And while some people fail out and are saddled with debt, which totally sucks, thousands of people do not and go on to be competent physicians. And this is regardless of what you might think of the quality of their residency program (which as I have already pointed out, you have no qualifications to judge, seeing as you are not a physician and have no clinical training)

So no, caribbean schools are not the best option. But they are certainly a reasonable option for thousands of people. You repeatedly expunge a false narrative, and should be called out for doing so.

Graduating from a big 4 school gives you some shot if you apply to 150-200 programs. The thing is it would be one thing if more than half the people that took out loans and started at those schools ended up in a GME. The thing is they don't. I know enough people from Ross, AUC and SGU to know that's relatively accurate.

I think it's safe to say that any school that charges so much for tuition to the point that most students take loans with a premise of fulfilling a lifelong dream, yet at the same time knowingly accepts people that simply wouldn't make it is acting irresponsibly at best.

If you can manage to make it out of one of the Big 4 and match, my hats off to you. You've done something half the people don't.

I don't think the education is terrible, but the support really is. Obviously education has to fulfill some minimums in order to maintain accreditation for licensure in all 50 states. Honestly, I have many friends who've done it and I know a fair amount of Carib MD docs. After training in the US, most are just as good as the average US MD. But that doesn't make what the for-profit Carib schools do righteous. They're not fulfilling a need, they're lining their pockets by accepting people they know can't make it.

If the goal was to truly give students a chance at fulfilling their dreams, they could easily do it by increasing admission standards and making sure most of their matriculants graduate and place into GME (i.e. what US medical schools do).

You're making the same error that you claim they make with regards to DOs. The only group that is separated into graduates and seniors in the NRMP match report is US MD. The DO match rates include previous graduates also.

I would argue that a self-sustaining percentage of graduates that continue not to match year after year demonstrates that even if the number is smaller, it's still significant. I mean it's not like the average unmatched AMG goes through 10 matches, many even take an initial year off because they are off-cycle (that's what happens when a school starts at 3 different times in a year) and others are busy preparing things like the PTAL before they even apply. I know very few IMGs that attempt the match more than 4-5 times (in fact I think there may be a limit on it).

And are you getting that first-time match number from the school or the NRMP? If it's the latter, I'd like to see it. If it's the former, I'd say you're taking info from a source that has an even greater vested interest in manipulating the data than the individual you are advising people not to take advice from because of his vested interest.

Also, please be sure to differentiate match rate from GME placement rate. The two are not synonymous, despite what many med schools seem to think.

The kicker though, is that this group of people doesnt make up the majority.
There are far more DOs in practice than there are in training.
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 9.25.10 PM.png

The number of practicing DOs has more than doubled since 2000 (this chart is two years old, we're actually up to just under 90,000 DOs at current). The younger DOs are rapidly outnumbering the old guard due to school expansion, and basically only the old guard backs the AOA. Only 2% of DOs use osteopathic manipulation in practice- the other 98% may as well be MDs, but that 2% still largely controls the direction of our profession due to their place in the power structure at the AOA.

View attachment 190069
The number of practicing DOs has more than doubled since 2000 (this chart is two years old, we're actually up to just under 90,000 DOs at current). The younger DOs are rapidly outnumbering the old guard due to school expansion, and basically only the old guard backs the AOA. Only 2% of DOs use osteopathic manipulation in practice- the other 98% may as well be MDs, but that 2% still largely controls the direction of our profession due to their place in the power structure at the AOA.

Don't kid yourself that there isn't a next generation of DO's who will continue to bang the osteopathic drum and call for distinctiveness.

For those DO's who enter into ACGME training, and especially those who perhaps enter ACGME subspecialty fellowship training, it seems that they completely abandon the AOA after graduating from medical school.

My experience is that the SOMA/ACOFP crowd are the ones who ultimately stay active in the AOA long after graduation and also tend to be the ones who champion the DO distinction the most.

There is going to be a new generation of the 2%, don't kid yourself.

Don't kid yourself that there isn't a next generation of DO's who will continue to bang the osteopathic drum and call for distinctiveness.

For those DO's who enter into ACGME training, and especially those who perhaps enter ACGME subspecialty fellowship training, it seems that they completely abandon the AOA after graduating from medical school.

My experience is that the SOMA/ACOFP crowd are the ones who ultimately stay active in the AOA long after graduation and also tend to be the ones who champion the DO distinction the most.

Yeah, but hopefully there will be some strong-arming on the LCME side of things once there are more US grads than there are residency positions, and we can finally merge and put this all to rest. Either that or there could be a class-action lawsuit on the behalf of the majority of osteopathic physicians claiming that the AOA does not represent their best interests, a legal maneuver that has been successfully performed against other professional groups in the past.

I perform OMT regularly and have no plans on stopping...so considering I'm the only one qualified...I will be running for AOA president in about 15 years. My first action will be to bring the Carribean down to their knees. Next I will exercise the demons of the DO world (namely LUCOM). :)

View attachment 190069

You are making the mistake of assuming that SDN is an accurate representation of DOs.

There are over 80,000 DOs, 99% of whom dont post on online forums bitching about the AOA.

DO students really think there is a circle of elders who are keeping the status quo. Thats not the case.

Hey guys, I will be starting my 4th year of medical school in a D.O program starting this July. I'm ranked towards the bottom of my class and have low board scores. I will be applying to only primary care D.O programs. I'm worried that since the merger between D.O and M.D programs, all of the Caribbean students will flock in and take the D.O residencies that were only reserved to D.O students in years past. Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks for your help!

Nothing to be worried about. As the competition gets tougher, just keep working harder.

Its funny to me that there are so many posts here along the lines of "no, increased competition isn't an issue. You'll just have to work harder".

Which translated from idiot to english means "yes, increased competition is probably going be an issue"

One doesn't have to wander around in this forum much to see that the "true believers" are clearly out there.

:whistle:just see this thread... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...c-medicine-not-using-medicine-at-all.1125682/

There is a doubling of DOs in the last 10yrs, but number of OMM/NMM residencies has stayed the same. Hmmm I smell decreased interest.

I think there will always be some who drink the kool-aid, but there is an overwhelming majority of those who don't. I think our new generation are skeptics by nature and I personally think things will change. Hell, I sort of want to get involved and make a stand against 99% of garbage in OMM and especially all that is tested on comlex. Evidence based medicine or bust

4 pages full of threads is a lot to read. Just skim a few and people are getting so mad. Lets shed some light.

1. The merger will eliminate certain osteopathic programs. hence decrease the number of spots collectively. There are a lot of "NON-academic" reasons why a program can be closed based on ACGME standard. I'm not going to get into details.
2. The AOA has NOT come up with any resolution on the "OMM program" MDs will be required to take and/or the duration in order to apply for osteopathic position.
3. pre-accredidation is a status the AOA residency program obtain once they submit the application. They will have it rejected or approve. If approved, you will get a site visit. If the program gets rejected, you will have to reapply. Standard is 2 years of continue "approved pre-accredidation". If not approved by 2020, it gets shut down.
4. I would NOT worry about carribean medical students taking the DO spots. I believe in the works of the whole merger, they will require students to graduate from schools that are LCME or AOA accredidated. This will eliminate a lot of applicants.

I believe the original issue for the merge was standardizing examination and fellowship issues, and of course MONEY!!!!

For example: If you graduated from an AOA program, can you apply for an ACGME fellowship program? of course you can, however, can you sit for the ACGME specialty board, which requires an ACGME residency program? This merger will make it easier and more straight forward for fellowship opportunities.

Goodluck!