Dangers of root canals...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NHDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/18/dangers-of-root-canaled-teeth.aspx

I’ve recently come across this article and was interested in hearing dentists and dental students thoughts.

I’m fully aware of correlation not always meaning causation, however it’s interesting to note the statistics. Although this article seems a bit fanatical, the science seems to make sense. Have you as students/dentists heard anything about such complications?

Members don't see this ad.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/18/dangers-of-root-canaled-teeth.aspx

I’ve recently come across this article and was interested in hearing dentists and dental students thoughts.

I’m fully aware of correlation not always meaning causation, however it’s interesting to note the statistics. Although this article seems a bit fanatical, the science seems to make sense. Have you as students/dentists heard anything about such complications?

This is probably similar to holistic dentists that would extract people's RCT teeth just because they are RCT.

"99.9 percent of all highway accidents occurred while the driver wasn’t wearing gloves."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good. Forget the tooth and just xt it for a bridge or implant. More money for everybody.

I've read this and other articles by Mercola. Not much connection between him and reality imho... kind of like Dentistry and reality (I'm not a med or dental student)

If you take another look, the science does not make sense. Placing extracted teeth under the skin of a rabbit? Of course it had an adverse reaction to it. Woman suddenly got better? I highly doubt it lol. He then goes on to talk about how dentists dont know about the dentin tubules (miles of them! lol) that he is calling "accessory canals". We know about these... So does everyone with a bit of recession. He then talks about bacteria morphing into killers... We know about opportunistic infections as well. The list goes on and on. On top of this, he really is pushing the correlation/causation fallacy knowing that most people out there are not entirely familiar with the concept and thus cannot see the error in this. The thing is, Mr. Mercola (I have a hard time calling him Dr.) is selling hyperbole and it works! Hell, he even suggests tanning beds are good for you! The guy is doing so much harm I can hardly believe he is still allowed to operate. Anyway the moral of the story here is to be skeptical of what he says. Honestly. :(

" When a dentist performs a root canal, he or she hollows out the tooth, then fills the hollow chamber with a substance (called guttapercha), which cuts off the tooth from its blood supply, so fluid can no longer circulate through the tooth. But the maze of tiny tubules remains. And bacteria, cut off from their food supply, hide out in these tunnels where they are remarkably safe from antibiotics and your own body's immune defenses. " from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/18/dangers-of-root-canaled-teeth.aspx

1. What he fails to mention is that dentists disinfect (yes, we know it doesn't sterilize the tooth, just kills almost all the bacteria) the inside of the tooth with hypochlorite (bleach) and calcium hydroxide before filling with gutta percha. Endodontists are well aware of the tiny dentinal tubules that we call accessory canals and lateral canals. Furthermore, this argument makes ZERO sense (as does the remainder of his article), as there is a blood supply to the bone around the tooth (this is why your mouth bleeds when you get a tooth extracted).

2. If this is a big cover up by dentistry, then it is a big cover-up by medicine as well.. Because, medicine still doesn't have answers to what infectious agents cause rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, and other autoimmune diseases. Yet this guy claims he has the answers.

3. "Since When is Leaving A Dead Body Part IN Your Body a Good Idea?
There is no other medical procedure that involves allowing a dead body part to remain in your body. When your appendix dies, it's removed. If you get frostbite or gangrene on a finger or toe, it is amputated. If a baby dies in utero, the body typically initiates a miscarriage."

Firstly.. a tooth was never alive to begin with... The inside of the tooth has blood vessels, but the dentin and enamel are non-vital tissues. And.. if we want to accept his definition of a "dead body part," then we actually do this all the time when we cut our nails or hair. Nails, and hair are similar to teeth, in that they have no living cells. Instead, nails and hair are made up of protein (like the collagen of the teeth).
A tooth is made up of collagen (dentin) and inorganic crystals (hydroxyapetite). There are no cells in this tissue. Bacteria can't eat tooth to produce the nutrients they need. (Bacteria do produce acid which leads to demineralization and cavities). When gangrene occurs, yes surgeons amputate the gangrenous organs because these cells are dead and bacteria will superinfect the organs causing a bigger problem. Bacteria will easily digest these necrotic cells. So, his comparison is a poor one.

Also... appendices don't "die"... They get infected because a blind end pouch develops and bacteria proliferate in a closed sac causing pain. This is when surgeons remove appendices. Another poor understanding of basic medicine.

4. The best argument linking RCTs to cancer is the use of formocresol in disinfection. I'm pretty sure formocresol is banned in use in pediatric patients, but are still used to adults. There is a lot of controversy in the community of whether formocresol is a clinically significant carcinogen or not... This is by far the best argument for his manifest destiny, yet he is too much of an idiot to mention it.

Always check your sources.

I didn't find a single proposed mechanism of action of how A. actinomycetemcomitans, P. gingivalis, B. forsythus, or Treponema directly cause neoplasia at a distant organ. This ******* says there's no evidence that supports endodontic procedures don't cause cancer yet he insists on modeling his standard of care based on articles by Weston Price in journals owned and edited by Weston Price. What makes this worse is that the articles are sketchy retrospective cohorts at best or century old rabbit studies. You have to be on another level of idiocy to overlook this clear bias. There's no meta analysis on endodontic procedure and cancer because no one's been dumb enough to come with a rationale connecting the two and being worthy of grants.

The American Heart Association clearly reminded the dental profession that there was still no causal evidence of oral microbes causing infective endocarditis. This idiot whines how ADA has no study showing endodontic procedures don't cause cancer yet he's willing to take the leap to flat out say oral anaerobes are a causative agent to infective endocarditis.

If you look carefully, you'll see he's just selling books and articles about Weston Price. Sprinkled here and there, you'll see him referencing where you can buy his books and how you can pay and subscribe to his newsletters.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the PDL is alive and well. That's a pretty fine little system worth keeping around.

How 'bout those tanning beds he's got in his store? A couple grand? That's a steal!

Our school does case presentations called Grand Rounds, where a D4 will present a case in front of the school. One of the "top 4" cases this year was of a patient that believed this stuff. That a root canal "killed" the tooth, and "your body doesn't want something dead in it, so it's going to make you sick." The whole school was laughing.

The "theory" behind this fear of root canals is such a crock.

Sadly, many pts get on the internet and read this stuff like it is the gospel.

I have personally seen several patients with necrotic teeth with long term chronic periapical infections with draining fistulas that REFUSE endodontic treatment because they have read this crap. Think about this: they would rather leave a chronically infected tooth in their mouth than have a root canal (they don't want it extracted either, as in these instances the tooth is not painful due to the chronic open fistula acting as a "pressure relief valve" of sorts.) This EVEN AFTER I show them the draining infection in their mouths. But in their minds, the root canal is worse.

It's the old, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

Our school does case presentations called Grand Rounds, where a D4 will present a case in front of the school. One of the "top 4" cases this year was of a patient that believed this stuff. That a root canal "killed" the tooth, and "your body doesn't want something dead in it, so it's going to make you sick." The whole school was laughing.

I would be interested in reading their Works Cited section; PM or post here?