DAT Biology Study Approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[DDS] Samer

Grind don't stop.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding how to study for the biology section. I really enjoy reading Cliffs AP Biology. So far I have gone through the entire book once but I am unsure on how I should review everything. Its been a while since I've gone over the early chapters so I am positive that I forgot a lot of things.

Is it better for me to go over the material again once or do something like:

- Read Chapters 1, 2, and 3.
- Then reread ch 1, 2, 3.
- Read Chapters 4, 5, and 6.
- Reread Chapters 4, 5, and 6, and so on and so forth.

Some people even suggested that I do some practice tests and find out where my weaknesses are and focus on those. The only issue I have with that is that if I do 1 or 2 practice tests, only a fraction of the material studied will actually be on the exam and there will be a lot of things not on the exam that I may not know very well. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't bother taking notes after the first time around. Anyway I read about two chapters a day, and the day after I read the chapters I took notes. I continued this and then did the practice tests. Set aside the questions you got wrong and go back and review from the chapter. Once you start using Bootcamp or QVault bio you'll start to really see what you're missing. I also recommend going over Feralis for A&P. KBB is also good for A&P if you haven't taken those courses (I hadn't and I thought they served me well). Also everyday watch one or two videos from crash course biology. I also read through Barron's and did Bio destroyer.

I was in the same situation as you and I only had taken 2 Bio courses (Cell + evolutionary) so I felt greatly under-prepared for bio. I think this is a section you can benefit a lot from reading several different materials and learning from your mistakes in practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user