This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mOlar1!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here so please pardon if I don't do or answer something the right way. I made this thread to ask if I am on the right track in terms of studying because I didn't know who to ask for guidance. Any advice or recommendation would be very helpful.
Okay so I scheduled to take my DAT end of August this year. And I am studying for it right now. I took the Kaplan DAT class which was a waste (in case anyone is debating of taking it) but I liked the fact that it got me started somewhere because I didn't know where to start. Ofc, my diagnostic score was VERY low. So after a while in kaplan, I realized that Kaplan wasn't helping me learning the material well or I guess I thought it was little too vague. So I started using CHAD for QR,GC,Orgo because Orgo was my weakest point in life. so Itry to spend 3 hours on orgo because mentally I can't force myself to do more orgo a day, then I switch to other two subjects. I just finished the QR section there and felt better. Also, I started using DAT bootcamp for biology. I make flashcards for every answer I got wrong and wrote down both right and wrong option and started memorizing. I use anki's flash cards every day as well. I read feralis's for something I don't understand or watch youtube video and take notes and memorize it and then explain it to myself. For reading, I am just practicing reading and focusing on pacing which isn't so bad. My biggest problem here is PAT. okay I do not know how to visualize. Something I have never done before. Kaplan is too easy for that so I didn't even bother. Angle section is fairly easier. so I thought I'd focus on others. For starter, I started using youtube videos, and DAT BOOTCAMP pat generator game everyday. I rewatch my kaplan's class on PAT but when I try to apply that on boot camp questions, i don't get any right. what else should I do? what am I missing? Soon after I finish reviewing entire material, I am starting practicing on destroyer. Is there anything else you guys would recommend? Also, I know you are suppose to study for 8 hours a day but I can't go more than 6 hours a day because I am fasting form day to night so I have to study at night and it gets VERY hard to study daytime without coffee lol. Any advice on how to study well would also be helpul. Because I AM FREAKING NERVOUS AS HELL lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am new here so please pardon if I don't do or answer something the right way. I made this thread to ask if I am on the right track in terms of studying because I didn't know who to ask for guidance. Any advice or recommendation would be very helpful.
Okay so I scheduled to take my DAT end of August this year. And I am studying for it right now. I took the Kaplan DAT class which was a waste (in case anyone is debating of taking it) but I liked the fact that it got me started somewhere because I didn't know where to start. Ofc, my diagnostic score was VERY low. So after a while in kaplan, I realized that Kaplan wasn't helping me learning the material well or I guess I thought it was little too vague. So I started using CHAD for QR,GC,Orgo because Orgo was my weakest point in life. so Itry to spend 3 hours on orgo because mentally I can't force myself to do more orgo a day, then I switch to other two subjects. I just finished the QR section there and felt better. Also, I started using DAT bootcamp for biology. I make flashcards for every answer I got wrong and wrote down both right and wrong option and started memorizing. I use anki's flash cards every day as well. I read feralis's for something I don't understand or watch youtube video and take notes and memorize it and then explain it to myself. For reading, I am just practicing reading and focusing on pacing which isn't so bad. My biggest problem here is PAT. okay I do not know how to visualize. Something I have never done before. Kaplan is too easy for that so I didn't even bother. Angle section is fairly easier. so I thought I'd focus on others. For starter, I started using youtube videos, and DAT BOOTCAMP pat generator game everyday. I rewatch my kaplan's class on PAT but when I try to apply that on boot camp questions, i don't get any right. what else should I do? what am I missing? Soon after I finish reviewing entire material, I am starting practicing on destroyer. Is there anything else you guys would recommend? Also, I know you are suppose to study for 8 hours a day but I can't go more than 6 hours a day because I am fasting form day to night so I have to study at night and it gets VERY hard to study daytime without coffee lol. Any advice on how to study well would also be helpul. Because I AM FREAKING NERVOUS AS HELL lol.
mOlar1!

It's all about using your time effectively. By no means is studying for 8 hours a day necessary. Study at your pace, make the most of that time, and work on your weaknesses.

I created a study schedule based on information I gathered from several people, and SDN, and I can send it to you if you are interested.

To use time most efficiently, I studied in parts every day. Two hours on, one hour off, or however combination you please. I believe this is great to allow information to sink in.

The materials I used were:

DAT bootcamp
Crack the PAT (to start, this is easier than the actual DAT, move from this first to the bootcamp.)
DAT and Math destroyer
Kaplan Blue Book
Cliffs AP biology
Chad's videos

In terms of the PAT, practice makes perfect. Start easy with Crack the PAT, and use those tests as a base. Bootcamp is most similar to the real PAT, or at least I thought that, so move on to that later. Couple of tips for sections of the PAT

Angle Ranking: Look quickly and not for more than a couple of seconds at a time. Use the elimination method based on the choices given (usually you only have to focus on two or three)

Cube counting: Use paper. Write total number of cubes down. Then count how many have zero sides, one side, two sides, etc... and write that down. You can now move through 5 questions effectively. Check to make sure the individual counts total to the initial count.

Shape folding: Tougher section, use distinguishing characteristics and process of elimination

Hole Punch: Draw grids and bubble in where the holes must be, unfold piece by piece. This will make it so you do not have to remember which ones were initially punched

Keyhole: Keep proportions in mind. Look for distinguishing shapes and see if you can eliminate any options.

---- This is really rough but if you would like more information, inbox me.

All the best,

Corey (20AA, 22 PAT)