About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAT Q Vault Question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by jwnichols21, Sep 1, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. jwnichols21

jwnichols21

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey guys,

I can't seem to wrap my head around this question. I thought that 12 ATP were used to create 12 G3P, which split up to yield 10 G3P re-entering the cycle and 2G3P going on to make Glucose. Where do they get "To produce a single 3-carbon G3P molecule a net total of 9 ATP, 3 CO2, and 6 NADPH must be consumed?" Thanks!

How many molecules of ATP are needed during the Calvin Benson Cycle to produce a disaccharide such as sucrose?
    A. 9 ATP.
    B. 18 ATP.
    C. 27 ATP.
    D. [Correct] 36 ATP.
    E. 45 ATP.
    Explanation
    36 molecules of ATP are needed to produce a single disaccharide, such as sucrose, during the Carbon Benson Cycle. To produce a single 3-carbon G3P molecule a net total of 9 ATP, 3 CO2, and 6 NADPH must be consumed during the Calvin Benson Cycle. However, since the disaccharide sucrose contains 12 carbon atoms it should not be surprising that four molecules of G3P are needed for its synthesis. Therefore, 4 G3P/sucrose X 9 ATP/G3P = 36 ATP/sucrose.
  2. predental89

predental89

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In the calvin cycle you are probably looking at it when it shows 6 CO2's going into it... because that consumes 18 ATP and 12 NADPH but that makes 2 G3P molecules...So in order to make 1 G3P you should half all of those numbers to get 9 ATP and 6 NADPH.
  3. NOORALLAH

NOORALLAH

Dental Student
    Okay so here is what I think happens!
    The first main step in the calvin cycle is the formation of 3carbon sugar called PGAL
    6CO2 + 6 RuBP (6 carbon sugar) goes to make 12PGAL (3 carbon sugar)
    To do that, we need 12 ATPs
    out of the 12 PGALs, we only use 2 and the rest gets recyled in the cycle
    recycling cost us 6 more ATP
    SO all in all, we need 6+12 to make 2 PGAL or 1 Glucose
    To make a disacchride, we would need 18*2= 36 ATPs
  4. jwnichols21

jwnichols21

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you good sir. :sleep: moment..