DAT studying and full time job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdb6476

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that took the DAT while working a full time job and did well? I have already taken it twice, while working between part time and full but I am thinking about retaking it again to get into a specific program. First time in 2011, I got a 18AA 17TS 19PAT (didn't prep right..) and second time this summer I got a 20AA 19 TS (19bio 20OChem 21GChem) 19PAT 21RC. Last year I got a bunch of waitlist statuses so with probable late interviews (applied late) once again this year, I want my DAT to stand out when few seats are available. For reference ogpa 3.75 sgpa 3.69 bcp 3.66 Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats seem great, even with the second DAT scores. How many schools did you apply to this time around? Is there some glaring red mark or absence on your app that you're not mentioning? I don't see why you wouldn't have gotten interviews this cycle with those stats.

As for studying while working, that's what I will be doing this semester (I work part time and am taking classes part time) and I think it's doable. You just have to make the time. If you're working 2-10, study in the morning until 1, or whenever you leave for work.

Are you saying you still have not applied this year, or are you waiting to apply next year? If you're applying this year, I think any retake would be too late for schools to consider.

If you're applying next year, I see absolutely no reason for a retake. I do not foresee the scenario you've described doing well... It makes me cringe to think about working full-time while trying to study for that monster! I wouldn't risk it. Although you did better on your second attempt, there's no guarantee that you would also improve on your third. Your numbers are above-average. JUST APPLY EARLY!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, there is nothing I'm not mentioning. Pretty average EC's (not much this past year though due to working a night shift 9pm-530am last winter/spring), worked through college.

I did already apply..8/24 mail out. Interviews at Case, Stony, and Nova so far. Not sure I can afford a private school (will look into options if I am accepted though) so want to be competitive at my state programs, and so far its just Stony and their stats are super competitive. Although, I'm really interested in Case...

Ya, kind of didn't realize they would have to recalculate my gpa from the previous cycle, thought it would move over...so that took 6 weeks unfortunately. so not early.

I am very nervous that I may do worse. Just figure if my practice tests are looking real good I would have a low chance of it..

so far its just Stony and their stats are super competitive.

Truth, those Stony stats are daunting if you're looking at the GPA/DAT scores, but you're half way having already gotten an interview (48% of in state applicants who were interviewed were accepted).

No word from Buffalo?

Truth, those Stony stats are daunting if you're looking at the GPA/DAT scores, but you're half way having already gotten an interview (48% of in state applicants who were interviewed were accepted).

No word from Buffalo?

Not as of yet...and I've done a little volunteer work there and live close by :mad: I interviewed at Buffalo (super late) and Stony last year and I was waitlisted at both (with an 18AA and 17TS..LOL). Just concerned my stats might get me waitlisted again so If it does happen I want to have something to pull me off because I notice that people with amazing stats tend to get in no matter pre or post dec.

I work 40 hours/week, and I am a full time master's student ( 9hrs/semester distance-learning program). I scored 23AA/24TS/24PAT during this BUSY period of my life. IT CAN BE DONE!!!!

Best of luck!

I work 40 hours/week, and I am a full time master's student ( 9hrs/semester distance-learning program). I scored 23AA/24TS/24PAT during this BUSY period of my life. IT CAN BE DONE!!!!

Best of luck!

Very impressive. will probably break into the studying on Monday. If I get an acceptance before I take the test that I am happy with then I will stop. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Is there anyone here that took the DAT while working a full time job and did well? I have already taken it twice, while working between part time and full but I am thinking about retaking it again to get into a specific program. First time in 2011, I got a 18AA 17TS 19PAT (didn't prep right..) and second time this summer I got a 20AA 19 TS (19bio 20OChem 21GChem) 19PAT 21RC. Last year I got a bunch of waitlist statuses so with probable late interviews (applied late) once again this year, I want my DAT to stand out when few seats are available. For reference ogpa 3.75 sgpa 3.69 bcp 3.66 Opinions?

You got waitlisted with a 20AA?!?!?!...damn, maybe I should retake the DAT as well.

haha. No, got waitlisted with my original 18AA.

Haha, that is good to hear. Just realized you applied to Buffalo and STony Brook last year...woot to us New Yorkers :) ! As an aside, when you applied last year when was your application complete? (including DAT, letters, etc)

Haha, that is good to hear. Just realized you applied to Buffalo and STony Brook last year...woot to us New Yorkers :) ! As an aside, when you applied last year when was your application complete? (including DAT, letters, etc)

Last year I was complete 9/15 and this year 8/24.:)