dates on prescriptions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christy101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new grad and recently I noticed that there are scripts I've been receiving that has the date without the year. For example it would be dated 9/20 or 9/12 etc but there is no full date like 9/20/14 or 9/12/14. It will be date within the month. Some of the scripts that comes with it will have it complete and some basically the doctor always miss to put in the year or gets lazy after a few. It not for controls or anything but I think some doctors just gets too lazy to write the whole date out and they keep missing the year. I'm wondering if thats okay to fill leaving it as is but I always thought the entire date should be there. Should I take as oral/ try to get them to fill the date completely but feel like doc office don't really listen.

Members don't see this ad.

Without the year, you don't know when it's actually from, could be last year, could be 2007, who knows.

If it's not a control, you can call and confirm. Like you said, it counts as a verbal rx. Hopefully it is just one or two docs doing this, I don't see it happen very often. I think if they have pharmacies calling them several times a day, they should be getting the hint. Of course, you will have plenty of pharmacists who say "so what?" and then it makes you look like the idiot because "no other pharmacist has a problem with it."

If its a control, the date cannot be changed or altered, so even if you called and confirmed, the control rx can't be filled. They will need to get a new written rx.

Without the year, you don't know when it's actually from, could be last year, could be 2007, who knows.

If it's not a control, you can call and confirm. Like you said, it counts as a verbal rx. Hopefully it is just one or two docs doing this, I don't see it happen very often. I think if they have pharmacies calling them several times a day, they should be getting the hint. Of course, you will have plenty of pharmacists who say "so what?" and then it makes you look like the idiot because "no other pharmacist has a problem with it."

If its a control, the date cannot be changed or altered, so even if you called and confirmed, the control rx can't be filled. They will need to get a new written rx.

Maybe in your state. Control dates can be changed in other states.

I would only call on controls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the state you are in, in my state dates on CIII - IV - V can be called on to change. I call on any prescription that is not dated correctly....as ackj mentioned, once you call a few times, the office staff will get tired of hearing from you and they will make sure prescriptions are dated correctly before the patient leaves the office.

Personally I have never found prescriber training to be that successful. We still have to request new hard copies for pretty much every Medicare Part B claim we run for example.