Program-Specific Info / Q's Davenport University Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogirl66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to Davenport or heard anything about the admission process?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to Davenport. The only thing that I know is that they start reviewing on the 16th. Based on what I remember from last years thread- they should inform applicants by 2nd week of March for the 1st round deadline. Good Luck!

I applied to Davenport. The only thing that I know is that they start reviewing on the 16th. Based on what I remember from last years thread- they should inform applicants by 2nd week of March for the 1st round deadline. Good Luck![/QUO

Did you get in? What type of stats did you have?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying for the Fall 2015 entry. I didn't get in yet.

Overall and Pre-req GPA- 3.5, depending on what some schools used to calculate it, it's anywhere between 3.1-3.5 (weird, right?)
Volunteer/Internship/OT Hours- Over 1,000 at various internships as a Recreational Therapist, 150+ hours at the VA Ot Department, and a few more local hospitals.
References: 1 OT, 1 Professor, and 1 Internship supervisor
Applied: GVSU, WMICH, Eastern Michigan, Univ. of Sciences, Salus, Cleveland State Univ, Midwestern Illinois,
Acceptances: None, so far
Rejections: GVSU and Eastern Michigan- both stated that they accepted applicants with a GPA of 3.6 and better.
If the schools had a specific GPA in mind, then they should've stated that.

I'm applying for the Fall 2015 entry. I didn't get in yet.

Overall and Pre-req GPA- 3.5, depending on what some schools used to calculate it, it's anywhere between 3.1-3.5 (weird, right?)
Volunteer/Internship/OT Hours- Over 1,000 at various internships as a Recreational Therapist, 150+ hours at the VA Ot Department, and a few more local hospitals.
References: 1 OT, 1 Professor, and 1 Internship supervisor
Applied: GVSU, WMICH, Eastern Michigan, Univ. of Sciences, Salus, Cleveland State Univ, Midwestern Illinois,
Acceptances: None, so far
Rejections: GVSU and Eastern Michigan- both stated that they accepted applicants with a GPA of 3.6 and better.
If the schools had a specific GPA in mind, then they should've stated that.

GPA is really how OTCAS calculates it if they are an OTCAS school, then I think it becomes very subjective. I spoke with Davenport yesterday and they said that they have over 200 applicants (and they are not even fully accredited) for 20-22 slots. The competition is crazy. OTCAS is very behind due to snow closures (they are in Boston) and have been closed 8 days. This might actually help as some applicants will not be verified to be eligible.

Did any of you guys hear back from Davenport for interviews or acceptances? My number one school fell through and I saw they had a second round of applicants they are accepting till March 31st. I want to apply but I'm afraid too many spots may have been filled. Any information is appreciated.

Did any of you guys hear back from Davenport for interviews or acceptances? My number one school fell through and I saw they had a second round of applicants they are accepting till March 31st. I want to apply but I'm afraid too many spots may have been filled. Any information is appreciated.
I haven't heard anything from Davenport yet although I thought I would by now. All they've sent is the experience update form. Also, I don't believe they do interviews.

I spoke with an academic advisor for the program that told me they have not even started looking at the 1st round applicants yet. Looks like they are waiting for all the applications due by the 31st before going through them.

GPA is really how OTCAS calculates it if they are an OTCAS school, then I think it becomes very subjective. I spoke with Davenport yesterday and they said that they have over 200 applicants (and they are not even fully accredited) for 20-22 slots. The competition is crazy. OTCAS is very behind due to snow closures (they are in Boston) and have been closed 8 days. This might actually help as some applicants will not be verified to be eligible.
Just curious- did they tell you 20-22 spots? I noticed OTCAS said they accepted 27 last year.

Just curious- did they tell you 20-22 spots? I noticed OTCAS said they accepted 27 last year.
They said 20-22. But they also said that decisions would be made by end of March early April and now its end of April, early May. The admission counselor told me that they had a very high number of applications and they could not get through them in the original time frame.

Hey guys! I received my acceptance to their program on Monday. I also received an email that day saying they were sending out letters now. Hope that helps!

Hey guys! I received my acceptance to their program on Monday. I also received an email that day saying they were sending out letters now. Hope that helps!
Congrats!!
Do you mind me asking what your GPAs and GRE were and so forth?
Do you plan on attending?

Did you get a letter in the mail and then an email? I got an email saying that she wanted to give an update: the admission counselor was leaving and that they hoped to have all decisions made by the end of April. The email was not an acceptance/and did not indicate anything about being accepted or denied, and only talked about the high number of applicants and new contact info for the new counselor. That's probably not good news for me. I wish they would just say, "sorry you didn't get in" instead of these games.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get a letter in the mail and then an email? I got an email saying that she wanted to give an update: the admission counselor was leaving and that they hoped to have all decisions made by the end of April. The email was not an acceptance/and did not indicate anything about being accepted or denied, and only talked about the high number of applicants and new contact info for the new counselor. That's probably not good news for me. I wish they would just say, "sorry you didn't get in" instead of these games.
I didn't even recieve that email. I haven't heard anything since the experience update form.

Who does the email say is the new admissions counselor?

Alisa Finker. I just don't understand why they don't send acceptances and rejections out at the same time rather then string you a long. You're either in or your not, or your waitlisted. Its not that difficult. They are already 2 weeks late since decisions were supposed to be made by 3/31.

Alisa Finker. I just don't understand why they don't send acceptances and rejections out at the same time rather then string you a long. You're either in or your not, or your waitlisted. Its not that difficult. They are already 2 weeks late since decisions were supposed to be made by 3/31.
I agree, several schools I've applied to have been having this issue and it's really making it difficult to make plans.

So is Christy Nelson the counselor that left? I'm trying to figure out who to email/call.

Congrats!!

Thank you! I haven't decided if I am going to accept yet. I am still waiting to hear back from two other schools

So I got a packet in the mail on Monday with my acceptance letter. The email they sent on Monday just said that they were still going through applications and that they were taking longer than originally thought.

Alisa is really nice if you have any questions to ask her. I got a hold of her to see if their were specific days she was available to go up and tour the campus. I have never been to Michigan before so I wanted to go up and see what Grand Rapids is like.

As for my stats: I am currently a senior at Purdue University:
Major: Behavioral Neuroscience
Minor: Child and Family Developmental Science
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req: 3.6
Volunteer hours: I had about 150 hours of volunteer work divided up between Adult Outpatient, Pediatric Outpatient, Inpatient Transitional Care and ICU care, and Outpatient Geriatric care.

Hey there, I just received my acceptance letter too. Congratulations! Where are you coming from? I am still trying to decide if I want to go to the school. Have you researched their accreditation as it is in the Candidacy status step? Will you be accepting?

Hey there, I just received my acceptance letter too. Congratulations! Where are you coming from? I am still trying to decide if I want to go to the school. Have you researched their accreditation as it is in the Candidacy status step? Will you be accepting?
Congratulations on your acceptance. I too applied but have not received anything. When did you get it? I'm just hoping the mail is slow here! Do you mind posting your stats? I am curious what first round acceptance applicants look like to gauge if I even have a shot.

I just received my acceptance letter on Monday. I hope you get in!

Bachelors in Psychology graduate from Stockton University
Overall OTCAS GPA: 3.65
Senior GPA3.8
Pre-Req: 3.5
Volunteer hours:Total of 80 hours in 4 different settings which includes: Medial center, Adult outpatient and inpatient rehabilitation center, Adult Inpatient Developmental Center, and a special Services School with grade school aged students and high school students.

Congrats!!

Thank you! I haven't decided if I am going t
o accept yet. I am still waiting to hear back from two other schools
So I got a packet in the mail on Monday with my acceptance letter. The email they sent on Monday s going through applications were taking longer than originally thought and that

That is awesome! Congratulations! I'm currently from West Lafayette, IN. How about you??

Once I got accepted into the program I started to do a ton of research on the school. I have a tour of the facility with the admissions adviser on May 7th so after that I plan to decide whether or not I want to accept or not :) I am waiting to hear from two schools! One thing I do like about the school from researching it so far is that is has a strong focus on fieldwork throughout the program.

As for the accreditation I looked online at one of the AOTA website and found out that the 2017 class will be the second OT graduate class they have had at the school. They are in the second round of accreditation so once their first group of graduates graduate in 2016 they can officially be accredited as long as the program meets the AOTE requirements. I am going to ask about it when I go on tour, but if you want I can keep you posted on what she says!

Thank you! I haven't decided if I am going t
o accept yet. I am still waiting to hear back from two other schools
So I got a packet in the mail on Monday with my acceptance letter. The email they sent on Monday s going through applications were taking longer than originally thought and that

That is awesome! Congratulations! I'm currently from West Lafayette, IN. How about you??

Once I got accepted into the program I started to do a ton of research on the school. I have a tour of the facility with the admissions adviser on May 7th so after that I plan to decide whether or not I want to accept or not :) I am waiting to hear from two schools! One thing I do like about the school from researching it so far is that is has a strong focus on fieldwork throughout the program.

As for the accreditation I looked online at one of the AOTA website and found out that the 2017 class will be the second OT graduate class they have had at the school. They are in the second round of accreditation so once their first group of graduates graduate in 2016 they can officially be accredited as long as the program meets the AOTE requirements. I am going to ask about it when I go on tour, but if you want I can keep you posted on what she says!
That's great. So are you putting down a deposit regardless to hold your spot? I'm from Cape May,NJ. I am waiting on one more school. I have been researching everything too to figure out the pros and cons of the school and or area. Id love you to keep me posted on your status and the school. I was rejected from 4 schools wait listed on one and accepted into Davenport so I feel a little better. The competition is crazy!

That's great. So are you putting down a deposit regardless to hold your spot? I'm from Cape May,NJ. I am waiting on one more school. I have been researching everything too to figure out the pros and cons of the school and or area. Id love you to keep me posted on your status and the school. I was rejected from 4 schools wait listed on one and accepted into Davenport so I feel a little better. The competition is crazy!

I thought about it and I was going to try to rush to make a decision, but then I was like you know I should just put the deposit down so I have time to really look through everything and decide if this is the right school for me. So I am going to put it down to be safe and then make my final decision in a couple of weeks. I heard the area is great and super entertaining to live in aside from the large amounts of snow in the winter. I heard there is always something to do and the cost of living isn't bad at all!

I was actually thinking of taking a year off before going to OT school because my senior year for my undergraduate has been so busy that I haven't dedicated the time that I should have to finding a school that fits me. However, I had an interview with Huntington University in Indiana which has an absolutely amazing program. Not to mention, I think that the Davenport program sounds pretty interesting itself! In essence, I only truly applied to three schools and the last school is in Arizona which I decided a couple weeks would not work out. So who knows, its competitive and its super stressful!

But I will definitely keep you posted :)

Hello CrystalMaee,

CONGRATULATIONS! I am a NJ native and was accepted to Davenport's Occupational Therapy Program. In addition, I am also a Psychology major that will be graduating from Kean University in May. I am really considering accepting their offer, however, I am currently waiting for two schools. Below are my stats.

Major:psychology
Minor: None
Cum GPA: 3.59 (According to OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75 (estimate)
Volunteer Hours: 154 hours in 5 different settings (School, Hand Therapy, Acute, Sub-Acute, Nursing Home) Internship with an occupational therapist's private practice called "Somatic Connections" as her social Media Liason
Applied: Seton Hall (NJ), AIC (MA), Alvernia University (PA), Brenau University (GA), Davenport University(MI), Cox College(MO), Kettering College OTD (OH), Mount Mary (WI: almost finished), University of Toledo OTD (OH; not finished) and thinking of applying to Clarkson University deadline is 6/15/15.
Accepted: Cox College and Davenport University
Denial: None
Wait List: Seton Hall, Alvervia University, and Kettering College OTD #43

Hope to hear from you soon, we may be potential classmates.

I thought about it and I was going to try to rush to make a decision, but then I was like you know I should just put the deposit down so I have time to really look through everything and decide if this is the right school for me. So I am going to put it down to be safe and then make my final decision in a couple of weeks. I heard the area is great and super entertaining to live in aside from the large amounts of snow in the winter. I heard there is always something to do and the cost of living isn't bad at all!

I was actually thinking of taking a year off before going to OT school because my senior year for my undergraduate has been so busy that I haven't dedicated the time that I should have to finding a school that fits me. However, I had an interview with Huntington University in Indiana which has an absolutely amazing program. Not to mention, I think that the Davenport program sounds pretty interesting itself! In essence, I only truly applied to three schools and the last school is in Arizona which I decided a couple weeks would not work out. So who knows, its competitive and its super stressful!

Hello Aearly,

CONGRATULATIONS! Please keep me posted on your status with Davenport. I hope you have an informative tour, so you can relay the info lol. Congrads again and hope we may be classmates in the near future!

I'm going to call you out here. Make UP YOUR DAMN MIND! There are many of us waiting for one chance to get in. These aren't cheerleading tryouts. Your waiting might keep one of us off the wait list and delay decisions for us or keep us out altogether.. C'mon, yes, we are competing for the same thing but your taking up two spots or possibly three, is just WRONG!!!Please don't be that girl. I know you haven't fully thought about this- but please do. We are in a competitive field. This will bite you one day because what comes around goes around ------and that is all I will say.----about that. good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to call you out here. Make UP YOUR DAMN MIND! There are many of us waiting for one chance to get in. These aren't cheerleading tryouts. Your waiting might keep one of us off the wait list and delay decisions for us or keep us out altogether.. C'mon, yes, we are competing for the same thing but your taking up two spots or possibly three, is just WRONG!!!Please don't be that girl. I know you haven't fully thought about this- but please do. We are in a competitive field. This will bite you one day because what comes around goes around ------and that is all I will say.----about that. good luck

bump

Hello CrystalMaee,

CONGRATULATIONS! I am a NJ native and was accepted to Davenport's Occupational Therapy Program. In addition, I am also a Psychology major that will be graduating from Kean University in May. I am really considering accepting their offer, however, I am currently waiting for two schools. Below are my stats.

Major:psychology
Minor: None
Cum GPA: 3.59 (According to OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75 (estimate)
Volunteer Hours: 154 hours in 5 different settings (School, Hand Therapy, Acute, Sub-Acute, Nursing Home) Internship with an occupational therapist's private practice called "Somatic Connections" as her social Media Liason
Applied: Seton Hall (NJ), AIC (MA), Alvernia University (PA), Brenau University (GA), Davenport University(MI), Cox College(MO), Kettering College OTD (OH), Mount Mary (WI: almost finished), University of Toledo OTD (OH; not finished) and thinking of applying to Clarkson University deadline is 6/15/15.
Accepted: Cox College and Davenport University
Denial: None
Wait List: Seton Hall, Alvervia University, and Kettering College OTD #43

Hope to hear from you soon, we may be potential classmates.
Thank you so much girl! Congratulations to yourself as well! It was such a rat race with application deadlines, essays, ect. You have some impressive stats girl. I think I am going to try and visit the school and area before I go there of course.Where are you from in New Jersey? I have never moved away from here and looking forward to this journey. Please keep in touch. Would be great to meet with a future class mate before hand :D I am waiting on one more school then I will be able to compare and contrast.

That's awesome. Good to know the area is trendy and happening. Besides the large amounts of snow in the winter, it will for sure be a shock in seasons. Let's keep in touch. Just relieved that I was accepted :D

Thank you so much girl! Congratulations to yourself as well! It was such a rat race with application deadlines, essays, ect. You have some impressive stats girl. I think I am going to try and visit the school and area before I go there of course.Where are you from in New Jersey? I have never moved away from here and looking forward to this journey. Please keep in touch. Would be great to meet with a future class mate before hand :D I am waiting on one more school then I will be able to compare and contrast.

Yes, I plan on visiting myself. I am from North New Jersey. I grew up in Paterson, but currently live in Woodland Park. I haven't moved away as well, the farthest I went was being a resident student at Kean which is 30 mins away from home. I will def. keep in touch, it would be great to have a NJ native in the same program. If you do plan on going, would you live on campus since they offer single rooms or off lol? just curious.

I would love to live close to campus but not on campus. Depends on pricing and availability. What about yourself?

Yes, I plan on visiting myself. I am from North New Jersey. I grew up in Paterson, but currently live in Woodland Park. I haven't moved away as well, the farthest I went was being a resident student at Kean which is 30 mins away from home. I will def. keep in touch, it would be great to have a NJ native in the same program. If you do plan on going, would you live on campus since they offer single rooms or off lol? just curious.
I would love to live close to campus but not on campus. Depends on pricing and availability. What about yourself?

Hello Aearly,

CONGRATULATIONS! Please keep me posted on your status with Davenport. I hope you have an informative tour, so you can relay the info lol. Congrads again and hope we may be classmates in the near future!

Congratulations to you too!! I will I hope you and CrystalMaee will have to do the same! I will keep you guys posted on the tour and everything. I am actually thinking of driving up there this Saturday to go check out the city and everything to see what it is like.

That's awesome. Good to know the area is trendy and happening. Besides the large amounts of snow in the winter, it will for sure be a shock in seasons. Let's keep in touch. Just relieved that I was accepted :D

Yes I feel the same! Now the hard part is figuring out where to go from here. OT schools run so late! My finals are in two week so I am like alkjljafkajlsdkjfakdj haha
Cool and trendy could be fun :pompous: and definitely lets keep in touch!

I feel the same. But the hassle of moving furniture and etc from Jersey would be pain. So I'm 50/50. If they have a fully furnished apartment off campus will be helpful.

Congratulations to you too!! I will I hope you and CrystalMaee will have to do the same! I will keep you guys posted on the tour and everything. I am actually thinking of driving up there this Saturday to go check out the city and everything to see what it is like.
Thats great! Wish I was close enough to do so!

Yes I feel the same! Now the hard part is figuring out where to go from here. OT schools run so late! My finals are in two week so I am like alkjljafkajlsdkjfakdj haha
Good luck on finals. How do you feel about their candidacy status for accreditation?

I feel the same. But the hassle of moving furniture and etc from Jersey would be pain. So I'm 50/50. If they have a fully furnished apartment off campus will be helpful.
Yeah I was thinking the same.

Good luck on finals. How do you feel about their candidacy status for accreditation?
I did research on schools who granted candidacy status and they have received accreditation in the timely manner. Meaning, I haven't seen a school who has candidacy status that didn't get accredited.

Last edited:
I did research on schools who granted candidacy status and they have received accreditation in the timely manner. Meaning, I haven't seen a school who has candidacy status that didn't get accredited.

Thank you! I am just ready for finals to be overr. As for the candidacy status I have seen the same thing. I think if they make it to the second level of becoming accredited they are in pretty good shape.

I agree I would rather live close to campus then on campus. It looks like they have a lot of options for the dorms and stuff. My sister did some snooping for me and found an apartment in downtown that is like 5-10 minutes from the campus.

Thank you! I am just ready for finals to be overr. As for the candidacy status I have seen the same thing. I think if they make it to the second level of becoming accredited they are in pretty good shape.

I agree I would rather live close to campus then on campus. It looks like they have a lot of options for the dorms and stuff. My sister did some snooping for me and found an apartment in downtown that is like 5-10 minutes from the campus.

So did you ever take that visit this Saturday? How did you like it?

Have you heard from any other schools?
Acd820 baypath university has had a delayed considering the snow this winter. I think I'll hear back from them a week from today . I hope! Lol how about you?

Has anybody following this thread actually gotten a rejection or heard anything about a waitlist? I still haven't received anything from davenport.

Last edited:
Nothing so far for me either. The wait is stressful. Try and stay hopeful though.

Acd820 baypath university has had a delayed considering the snow this winter. I think I'll hear back from them a week from today . I hope! Lol how about you?
nope nothing yet. but my plans is to go to davenport.

I just received my acceptance letter on Monday. I hope you get in!

Bachelors in Psychology graduate from Stockton University
Overall OTCAS GPA: 3.65
Senior GPA3.8
Pre-Req: 3.5
Volunteer hours:Total of 80 hours in 4 different settings which includes: Medial center, Adult outpatient and inpatient rehabilitation center, Adult Inpatient Developmental Center, and a special Services School with grade school aged students and high school students.

Hi, Could you tell me What is the deadline for you to give your answer and what is the deposit?

Could you tell me the date you have to reply to them with an answer and how much is the deposit?

So did you ever take that visit this Saturday? How did you like it?

Hey! I ended up having a change in plans so I didn't end up going to see it last week. I am just going to go see the school next week instead! I plan attend as well. After doing research and talking to the advisor it seems like a very good program located in a great city!

Also the deadline for the acceptances they just sent back were due with the deposit by Friday the 24th