David Blaine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anbody see the David Blaine special last night? Two of our attendings(an anesthesiologist and a neurosurgeon) were there next to the tank in case anything went wrong. a 7 minute breath hold is pretty cool, but his street tricks are much better.

anyways, I think I'm going to quit anesthesiology and pursue magic instead.

Members don't see this ad.

supahfresh said:
Did anbody see the David Blaine special last night? Two of our attendings(an anesthesiologist and a neurosurgeon) were there next to the tank in case anything went wrong. a 7 minute breath hold is pretty cool, but his street tricks are much better.

To each his own, but I'm getting SO sick of that guy's cheesy attention-getting ploys. I thought he was cool up until a few years ago. The street stuff was cool. His girlfriend is FINE though, so I can excuse a lot of cheesiness. (As if he would care what I have to say anyway).

I saw all the ads for it but didn't watch. Did he just hyperventilate like crazy beforehand like deep sea pearl divers do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a couple of minutes when they were showing the medical team. They didn't explain who they were when I was watching, but I was hoping that one was an anesthesiologist and that someone made a big deal about how expertly trained he was for this situation. :)

apparently he was breathing in pure oxygen which buys him more time...and he lost 50 pounds so his body would use less oxygen.

I bet they doped his blood as well and sent his HB sky high.

Massive HBG, with 100% 02 loaded FRC, probably slowed heart rate, mild hypothermia with maybe a touch o' merperidine to drop shivering....ohh yeah buddy. now we are talkin.

FRC 2 liters
O2 consumption 250 cc/ min
IDEALLY works out to be around 8 min of 02 without considering the above.

I once passed out in a bathtub of urine in Mardi Gras in college, does that count as an equally incredible feat of human endurance (stupidity implied in both accounts)?

if you were watching carefully, he was breathing regular atmospheric air (21 % O2) the last few minutes before he went under. Why? I dont know, because he could have utilized the above pre-O2 technique that we use everyday. But here's the caveat....he caved at 7 minutes because of CO2 buildup, not because of desatting. If he simply desatted, he would have just gone unconscious. He had the look of sheer pain on his face that supports this.

They introduced Blaine's buddy, the neurosurgeon and he gots lots of air time and a little interview. This guy brought my attending along because he knew that the best guy to have at this event for an airway emergency was an anesthesiologist. unfortunately, they just quickly mentioned him and moved on. the public probably thinks the neurosurgeon was going to handle any airway problem. I think we here all know who would have taken charge.

VentdependenT said:
I bet they doped his blood as well and sent his HB sky high.

Massive HBG, with 100% 02 loaded FRC, probably slowed heart rate, mild hypothermia with maybe a touch o' merperidine to drop shivering....ohh yeah buddy. now we are talkin.

FRC 2 liters
O2 consumption 250 cc/ min
IDEALLY works out to be around 8 min of 02 without considering the above.

Venty,

You listenin' to TOOL???????

Now that a diversified brutha!!!!!

guess I can't talk......I'm a Florida crakka who thinks THE CHRONIC is wanna the best albums ever......

jetproppilot said:
Venty,

Now that a diversified brutha!!!!!

Actually, he's a white boy......

VentdependenT said:
I once passed out in a bathtub of urine in Mardi Gras in college, does that count as an equally incredible feat of human endurance (stupidity implied in both accounts)?

EWWWWW

I guess your hand was already in lots of warm fluid so if you added to that, no biggie...

supahfresh said:

This your anesthesia attending supahfresh?

I couldn't find the exact pic I was looking for. The second he came out of the water, he got a three handed jaw-lift by two different people. The guy pictured had two hands, one on each mandible. Another hand directly under his chin looked to come from the tank directly below and I wonder if that one was one of the divers.

http://news.yahoo.com/news/?tmpl=story&u=/060509/1911/k050902aujpg

Hope that is an anesthesia attending you are talking about on the tank in the pic and not the neuro dude.

I talked to my attending today and asked him all about it. No, that wasn't him in the tank as one of the divers. He was wearing blue scrubs off to the side with all the airway equipment. He told the TV crew that he did not want to be identified nor talked to on TV. he was just there as the backup man in case they couldn't get an airway.

ok, here's the scoop on the pre-O2. He told me that blaine held his breath for almost 16 minutes last week under water after a good pre-ox with 100% O2. But that wasn't what he wanted to do on TV. He wanted to break the record for the longest breath-hold breathing atmospheric air.

how could he have handled the buildup of CO2 for 16 minutes because pre-oxygenation does nothing to prevent that. Only hyperventilation helps this.