DEA Raids Dr. Forest Tennant’s Pain Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you think their next move will be?
Lowering CDC recs to 60 MME/day?
Something else?

I really don't know. But if a pharmaceutical company the size of Purdue is scared enough to quit marketing OxyContin to physicians, that should give all of us concern.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know. But if a pharmaceutical company the size of Purdue is scared enough to quit marketing OxyContin to physicians, that should give all of us concern.
I honestly don't take their discontinuing marketing their opiates as something they're doing out of fear or out of benefit to society, but likely because they know it will cut their marketing costs and they'll still sell their opiates in big numbers and make even greater profits. In my opinion, Purdue knows they don't need to market their opiates anymore, at this late stage in the game. They market themselves at this point. Everyone knows what oxycontin and their other opiates are, and they effectively sell themselves, and will continue to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volume took a hit....its like starting from scratch. As for politics: I agree democrats and republicans are at fault, but having lived in a state with a republican governor, both houses in the legislature, supreme court, attorney general, county coroner, and county prosecutor republican dominated, they came at physicians with a vengeance. It was was a series of brinksmanship moves with each branch making further decision. So my memory is quite fresh on this subject.

Volume is the issue, there won't be anywhere near enough to maintain your standard of living. More and more I have come to believe that the procedural approach to chronic pain is just an oportunistic cottage industry that arose amid the opioid epidemic, like ADFs. There isn't an epidemic of nociceptive pain in the US, maybe nociplastic but they don't benefit from shots or opioids.

Volume took a hit....its like starting from scratch. As for politics: I agree democrats and republicans are at fault, but having lived in a state with a republican governor, both houses in the legislature, supreme court, attorney general, county coroner, and county prosecutor republican dominated, they came at physicians with a vengeance. It was was a series of brinksmanship moves with each branch making further decision. So my memory is quite fresh on this subject.
Indiana?

what you are regurgitating is stuff that is probably in part being encouraged by pharmaceuticals and supporters of opioids. Blame the illegal stuff...

There are a lot of deaths due to illicit opioids, but more still Re prescription opioid induced by a long shot.

Doctors are culpable because a lot of the narcotics causing death are not car fentanyl or heroin in the street. And many patients became primed for addiction through the actions of the medical community.

I know it is a big deal seizing 33 pounds of fentanyl. Great job!

Oh by the way, did u know that 6 states in NE US (not including NY - mass, Delaware, NH, Conn, Vermont) had a prescription drop off on Oct 28th.... that netted 4.8 Tons estimated of opioids.... that’s 9600 pounds of prescription opioids..... on one day, of people voluntarily getting rid of them.....that’s a little more than 33 pounds...

And these were a small fraction of some of the drugs in medicine cabinets...
@Ducttape
I think this was replying to me? Regarding turn-ins, that happens almost everywhere AFAIK these days. Where I live, maybe other areas too, periodic events were so large that Walgreens now keeps a drop off bin at counters for people to use all the time - unsure about other pharmacies.

If the regurgitation remark was about the research article, I'll ask if any read it and describe why that one was particularly interesting. The study was conducted over existing data beginning in 2009, prior to the strict rules and tracking on opioid PT Rx's. A decade ago, at the beginning of the realisation of potential high/over-prescribing, PTs & practices (proper or not) had little shame or fear of being cut off, nabbed, tested, or tracked for multiple Drs, Rx's, etc. It's under those conditions data was collected and examined, looking at the rate of refills as a function of MME to infer addiction/dependence in that construct alone.

For those who've yet to see the article, I'll leave the results and full methodology to the authors to explain. If you have interest, you'll take a gander.