DEA to process rx from the veterinarian clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mao263

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a call from vet, couldn’t process rx cause I can’t find her in system with the phone. Walgreen software requires NPI or DEA to process rx. They refused DEA and told me it’s ILLEGAL to ask. I explain I have to register them in my system and after a short fight I got dea

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, vets hate giving out DEA numbers. I think in general vets don’t like interacting with pharmacies. At least that’s been my experience.

The software really should have the ability to add providers with just a license number though, are you sure you really need the DEA?

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, vets hate giving out DEA numbers. I think in general vets don’t like interacting with pharmacies. At least that’s been my experience.

The software really should have the ability to add providers with just a license number though, are you sure you really need the DEA?
I am because at Walgreens software doesn’t allow you to process unless there is NPI or DEA. Maybe other retail pharmacies can

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am because at Walgreens software doesn’t allow you to process unless there is NPI or DEA. Maybe other retail pharmacies can
Any other Walgreens can confirm? NPI and DEA aren’t legal requirements to prescribe so why would the software require them? I think there probably is a way and you just aren’t aware of it. Sorry if that sounds rude but Walgreens should really fix the system if that is the case.

Reactions: 1 users
Any other Walgreens can confirm? NPI and DEA aren’t legal requirements to prescribe so why would the software require them? I think there probably is a way and you just aren’t aware of it. Sorry if that sounds rude but Walgreens should really fix the system if that is the case.
Well, Walgreens should off fix a lot of things

It’s been years since I’ve worked for WAG, but I believe the system requires NPI or DEA, if you are billing it to a discount card (again, this was years ago)

Lots of vets seem to be upset that pharmacies are dispensing drugs, instead of them.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyways, I found this from Reddit. You can do without needing an npi or dea.

“In the options, third party screen, at the bottom left, there should be a drop down for the prescribers license. Usually I use the state license number. If you don't see anything, make sure you're using a prescribers profile with the license number attached”.

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of vets seem to be upset that pharmacies are dispensing drugs, instead of them.
Oh buddy. Do they ever. They ****in HATE when you tell patients you can get them pet meds for $50 less than what they're charging