Dear Surgery Residents: go %&$# yourselves. Sincerely, MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally disagree. You ask if you can help, do what you're told, but keep your head down otherwise.
What are you trying to say with "keep your head down"? If you lay low, your evals aren't going to be that impressive. If you want good evals/grades, then you want to be seen, interact often, and appear interested. None of that is "keeping your head down."

If you don't care what they think of you, and you just want to get through the rotation without failing it, then lay low, do what you're told, and do well on the shelf.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you trying to say with "keep your head down"? If you lay low, your evals aren't going to be that impressive. If you want good evals/grades, then you want to be seen, interact often, and appear interested. None of that is "keeping your head down."

If you don't care what they think of you, and you just want to get through the rotation without failing it, then lay low, do what you're told, and do well on the shelf.

This.

If anything fails at getting respect from surgeons (and potentially a good grade/evaluation), it is being meek and laying low.

This.

If anything fails at getting respect from surgeons (and potentially a good grade/evaluation), it is being meek and laying low.

You see...? Exactly. Everyone is comfortable with flattering generalities or positive strereotypes. If I say surgeon's are studs. Nobody tries to object. Or this is the way to impress them.... which.... In the spirit of this thread..... Who gives a crap?!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You see...? Exactly. Everyone is comfortable with flattering generalities or positive strereotypes. If I say surgeon's are studs. Nobody tries to object. Or this is the way to impress them.... which.... In the spirit of this thread..... Who gives a crap?!

I would suggest that, rather than specific to surgery, WS gave advice that is appropriate to any rotation. And, quite frankly, any job in general. The way to be successful is to be respectful of others, ask good questions, and be interested. Being meek and laying low will get a poor eval on any service - as well it should. Work an office job and lay low and people will consider you to be unmotivated and not a team player.

I would suggest that, rather than specific to surgery, WS gave advice that is appropriate to any rotation. And, quite frankly, any job in general. The way to be successful is to be respectful of others, ask good questions, and be interested. Being meek and laying low will get a poor eval on any service - as well it should. Work an office job and lay low and people will consider you to be unmotivated and not a team player.

Great. Start a thread... Like how to win friends and influence people, or how to impress your attendings or some other very viscerally exciting title. That way we can continue our relentless pursuit at home as well as at work.

I would suggest you reread the thread title and get down accordingly.

Great. Start a thread... Like how to win friends and influence people, or how to impress your attendings or some other very viscerally exciting title. That way we can continue our relentless pursuit at home as well as at work.

I would suggest you reread the thread title and get down accordingly.

hahahaha Right. And surgeons are the angry, bitter ones. :laugh:

This.

This would explain why, after standing my ground with a surgery attending arguing with me for an hour about the medical management of a patient we consulted him on, now when he sees me he has a BIG grin on his face and asks when I'm going to switch to surgery. When I say "never" he shakes his head and walks away saying "what a shame."

Apparently he has mentioned me to his interns on a fairly regular basis. "There's the one resident we had who absolutely stuck to her guns about what was right for the patient.... it's too bad I couldn't convince her to be a surgeon."

The way to be successful at a normal job is to do the job well. No cares if you ask good questions or appear intested if they're cleaning up your mess at the end of the night, aand if you churn out excellent work people genearlly don't care that you appeared unmotivated while you were doing it. The reason third year sucks is that you dont have an actual job to do, so theres no way to do it well. That make your grade more or less an exercise in kissassery. The reason surgery and ob/gyn suck in paticular is that as procedural services they're not very verbal, and theres not even a natural opportunity to interject your ass kissing. If you add even a moderately toxic personality into the mix there's no middle ground in between 'too meek' and 'grade grubbing' and you're stuck with a no win situation.

The way to be successful at a normal job is to do the job well. No cares if you ask good questions or appear intested if they're cleaning up your mess at the end of the night, aand if you churn out excellent work people genearlly don't care that you appeared unmotivated while you were doing it. The reason third year sucks is that you dont have an actual job to do, so theres no way to do it well. That make your grade more or less an exercise in kissassery. The reason surgery and ob/gyn suck in paticular is that as procedural services they're not very verbal, and theres not even a natural opportunity to interject your ass kissing. If you add even a moderately toxic personality into the mix there's no middle ground in between 'too meek' and 'grade grubbing' and you're stuck with a no win situation.

:thumbup:

This.

What do you understand to be meek? Is meek not asking questions that frequently or is it not being willing to partake in procedures, work that needs to be done, etc?

I mean, to me reserved personality but competent (for one's level) =/= meek.

This would explain why, after standing my ground with a surgery attending arguing with me for an hour about the medical management of a patient we consulted him on, now when he sees me he has a BIG grin on his face and asks when I'm going to switch to surgery. When I say "never" he shakes his head and walks away saying "what a shame."

Apparently he has mentioned me to his interns on a fairly regular basis. "There's the one resident we had who absolutely stuck to her guns about what was right for the patient.... it's too bad I couldn't convince her to be a surgeon."

I thought you were a surgeon. What field are you actually in?

The way to be successful at a normal job is to do the job well.
Laying low = avoiding != doing the job well.

The reason third year sucks is that you dont have an actual job to do, so theres no way to do it well. That make your grade more or less an exercise in kissassery. The reason surgery and ob/gyn suck in paticular is that as procedural services they're not very verbal, and theres not even a natural opportunity to interject your ass kissing. If you add even a moderately toxic personality into the mix there's no middle ground in between 'too meek' and 'grade grubbing' and you're stuck with a no win situation.
Except for daily rounds with the residents, conferences, clinic (which most attendings have 3+ days per week), attending rounds, in-patient/ED consults, trauma activations....

In my program, if students are in the OR constantly, it's either their choice or their fault.

Members don't see this ad :)
Laying low = avoiding != doing the job well.

Except for daily rounds with the residents, conferences, clinic (which most attendings have 3+ days per week), attending rounds, in-patient/ED consults, trauma activations....

In my program, if students are in the OR constantly, it's either their choice or their fault.

What is your definition of "doing the job well?" Imo a med student's sole job is to learn clinical medicine. You can seem to lay low to attendings/residents and yet effectively learn. No med student really ever needs to ask a question except in an urgent situation. You can easily look up better answers online. Likewise, a med student could easily refuse to do ridiculous scut work and yet complete their 'job.' Finally, I always would ask to go home early to study when there is nothing to do if I knew it wouldn't affect my grade.

If I never asked questions during rounds, refused to do scut work, or tried to leave as soon as we were done I would likely be called 'uninterested' or worse. A lot of third year is walking on eggshells. It is all about appearance and you have to be a pro about when to talk and when to shut up.

I think there is big difference between a med student and resident's 'job'. Simplistically, one is paying to pursue an academic degree while the other is getting paid to train for specific job/speciality.

I actually try hard not to roll my eyes when med students ask questions. There are the rare good question, but most of the things peers would ask are just

A) for the sake of asking a question
B) Something obvious that gets answered with "look that up".

Sadly, I don't look forward to being a resident where there will be med students who think asking questions is expected. Why would it be? There are multiple ways to be interested than ask questions where I would think to myself "Dude..read a book"

These are some good points. Lately I've been trying to conceive of what exactly I'm trying to accomplish day in and day out on wards. My instincts are to help this really busy guy--intern--do his job. And I just dive in. But then what am I doing...learning institutionally specific clerical moves that would change the day after I move on from the rotation. Something I'm destined to learn all over again when it actually becomes my job. What does knowing how to finagle my way through this particular bureaucracy do for me. I'm 3 rotations in and I've been extremely successful at making interns very happy. They sing my my praises. To no one. I've performed just decently on shelves. And have flubbed a good number of my momentary spurts in the brief limelight of the attendings gaze. Like auditions for some soap opera I could care less about. Your favorite bit in 30 seconds....go!....buzzer! Thanks kid.

The whole thing is f@cking stupid. That's why I find the OP's impulse liberating and hilarious. All that time I spent tip-toeing around this malicious surgical intern that taught me nothing. I want wasted life back. I need some methodology to override my guilty instinct about this guy getting buried by paper shuffling. This is a politician's politician series of behaviors that make someone "good." Not the least bit related to clinical knowledge base.

A great clinical education would be an absurdity in this system. The attending would sit on my shoulder like yoda in the swamps of patient care. I would get a chance to demonstrate the infancy of clinical decision making and get developed Socratically into sophistication. Who the f@ck has time for that. So I'm a b!tches b!tch. Left to put it all together after long hours of pointlessness. With the possible exception of learning concise presentation style, itself not exactly homogenous. But that's 2-3 hour day to do that.

So yeah that cranky surgeon who wasted my life can suck it! Wish I hadn't got taken for a ride. Now I know. They can suck it from go. The cool ones still make me feel bad for studying while their hustling, which is the most frustrating thing about clerking, being pulled in different directions by expectations from all angles. The ones that matter to my success are the opposite to the person I spend the most time with.

Last edited:
What is your definition of "doing the job well?" Imo a med student's sole job is to learn clinical medicine.
Okay.

You can seem to lay low to attendings/residents and yet effectively learn.
No. That's a great way to graduate with no experience ever starting an IV, placing a Foley, intubating a patient, suturing up a laceration or surgical incision, do a bronchoscopy, let alone something more complex like placing a central line or a chest tube.

No med student really ever needs to ask a question except in an urgent situation. You can easily look up better answers online.
You can look up a textbook answer, but you still might have no clue why you're doing what you're doing for your patient, which is pretty relevant. I still have to ask my attendings why we're taking the specific approach that we are for a given patient in some situations, so I'm quite sure that the students don't know.

Likewise, a med student could easily refuse to do ridiculous scut work and yet complete their 'job.'
What is "ridiculous" scut work compared to regular scut work compared to "just learning clinical medicine"?

If I never asked questions during rounds, refused to do scut work, or tried to leave as soon as we were done I would likely be called 'uninterested' or worse. A lot of third year is walking on eggshells. It is all about appearance and you have to be a pro about when to talk and when to shut up.
And what exactly do you think we should call such a student?

I think there is big difference between a med student and resident's 'job'. Simplistically, one is paying to pursue an academic degree while the other is getting paid to train for specific job/speciality.
An MD is not an "academic degree." It is a professional degree, in which you are learning a profession. If you are unprepared to be an intern on July 1st, then you are behind the 8-ball and will remain that way until you put in the extra work to catch up. In the meantime, your attendings (in your chosen specialty, no less) will be forming opinions about how you are less efficient, less skilled, and don't seem to know what's going on as much as your peers do.

Med students do bronchs at your institution? :eek:

Our surgery rounds were lighning fast, no real discussion of anything and in any event nothing really to discuss since they were all pots op checks. The only questions were if they had a fever and if they passed gas. MS3 surgery students didn't do much clinic at my school (wish they did), and I don't know any program where they participate in trauma (even interns are generally regulated to checking distal pulses and sphincter tone). At conferences no one talks at those but the presenter. In-patient/ED consults are the best example of where a medical student CAN shine, by basically doing the full H&P and presenting it to the resident. However on surgery the opportunity was rarely provided. Med students can take over an hour to do an H&P, and well over 20 minutes to present it, and then you need to do it over anyway because you can't trust it. Even on a Pediatrics or IM service its agonizing for the residents, and we sometimes bypass them on the worst/busiest nights. On a faster paced service like surgery there generally wasn't time to do it at all. When the ED called the residents went and the students either stayed with the team, or if they went they basically shadowed.

In my program, if students are in the OR constantly, it's either their choice or their fault

This is wierd. Not that your students have an OR light Surgery rotation, I'm sure those exist somewhere, but that you're giving medical students a choice about what they're doing. Medical students generally don't get a choice about where they go, on any rotation. You're told to go to the OR, told to go see consults, assigned patients, and sent home. That's not a problem either, actually a big part of the reason for giving medical students so many orders is courtesy: with everyone struggling to look enthusiastic giving someone an option is just a crueler way of giving them an order. For anyone aspiring to honor 'would you like do this 8 hour case' is just a way to make them blame themselves for the thing you're doing to them.

No. That's a great way to graduate with no experience ever starting an IV, placing a Foley, intubating a patient, suturing up a laceration or surgical incision, do a bronchoscopy, let alone something more complex like placing a central line or a chest tube.

This in my opinion isn't appropriate MS3 learning, and for that matter I don't think these are skills that every civilian MS3/resident should learn at all. Every procedure has a serious error rate when you start doing it, and even when those errors aren't fatal they all at least suck/hurt: IVs infiltrate, Foleys hurt, intubations can chip teeth, shody sutures cause cosmesis, and I won't even get into bronchs and chest tubes. No one should subject patient's to the risk invovled with learning a procedure unless they know they will, later in their career, actually DO that procedure. No civilian needs to do foleys. Only a few need to understand suturing and intubations. Only anesthesiologists need to understand IVs. Everything else is even more specialty specific.

Learning on surgery, to me, means learning the differential for a patient, to know when you can let the patient be, when you need run a test, and when you need to consult surgery immediately. That kind of learning can be done effectively while you hang back and stay quiet outside of rounds and pimping.

What is "ridiculous" scut work compared to regular scut work compared to "just learning clinical medicine"?
Skills that require no learning = ridiculous scut work. Putting papers into three ring binders, calling patients to tell them appoitment times, faxing things, etc.
Learning clinical medicine means practicing the skills that you need medical school to learn. Writing coherent notes, taking H&Ps, reading images, and calling consults. The things you couldn't do as an MS3, but can do now. If somethings so basic that an MS3 can do it right, and it helps the team, then honestly its a pretty good sign they shouldn't be doing it at all

An MD is not an "academic degree." It is a professional degree, in which you are learning a profession. If you are unprepared to be an intern on July 1st, then you are behind the 8-ball and will remain that way until you put in the extra work to catch up. In the meantime, your attendings (in your chosen specialty, no less) will be forming opinions about how you are less efficient, less skilled, and don't seem to know what's going on as much as your peers do.

That's kind of the point, though. The scut work nonsense that you do to get the grade to get the residency doesn't prepare you in any way for the residency. Since I started Intern year I have never been called upon to put something in a three ring binder. Meanwhile the book learning, some of which I didn't do because I was trapped in an OR, is something that I desperately need to know. Being a good medical student isn't genearlly the best preparation for being a good resident.

Last edited:
Our surgery rounds were lighning fast, no real discussion of anything and in any event nothing really to discuss since they were all pots op checks. The only questions were if they had a fever and if they passed gas. MS3 surgery students didn't do much clinic at my school (wish they did), and I don't know any program where they participate in trauma (even interns are generally regulated to checking distal pulses and sphincter tone). At conferences no one talks at those but the presenter. In-patient/ED consults are the best example of where a medical student CAN shine, by basically doing the full H&P and presenting it to the resident. However on surgery the opportunity was rarely provided. Med students can take over an hour to do an H&P, and well over 20 minutes to present it, and then you need to do it over anyway because you can't trust it. Even on a Pediatrics or IM service its agonizing for the residents, and we sometimes bypass them on the worst/busiest nights. On a faster paced service like surgery there generally wasn't time to do it at all. When the ED called the residents went and the students either stayed with the team, or if they went they basically shadowed.
MCW. Which happens to be where I went. The M3 is responsible for cutting off the patient's clothes, helping roll, and depending which way the patient rolls, either you or the intern examines the back and does the rectal (calling out the findings for both), do a femoral stick for a blood draw, and place the Foley if needed.

This is wierd. Not that your students have an OR light Surgery rotation, I'm sure those exist somewhere, but that you're giving medical students a choice about what they're doing. Medical students generally don't get a choice about where they go, on any rotation. You're told to go to the OR, told to go see consults, assigned patients, and sent home. That's not a problem either, actually a big part of the reason for giving medical students so many orders is courtesy: with everyone struggling to look enthusiastic giving someone an option is just a crueler way of giving them an order. For anyone aspiring to honor 'would you like do this 8 hour case' is just a way to make them blame themselves for the thing you're doing to them.
Unless it's a ruptured AAA or something that is really cool, I tell them NOT to go to those cases. A fem-distal bypass sucks, period.

This in my opinion isn't appropriate MS3 learning, and for that matter I don't think these are skills that every civilian MS3/resident should learn at all. Every procedure has a serious error rate when you start doing it, and even when those errors aren't fatal they all at least suck/hurt: IVs infiltrate, Foleys hurt, intubations can chip teeth, shody sutures cause cosmesis, and I won't even get into bronchs and chest tubes. No one should subject patient's to the risk invovled with learning a procedure unless they know they will, later in their career, actually DO that procedure. No civilian needs to do foleys. Only a few need to understand suturing and intubations. Only anesthesiologists need to understand IVs. Everything else is even more specialty specific.
Every procedure has a serious error rate? For IVs and Foleys? They let nursing students do that stuff, and it seems inappropriate to let someone who is nearly a physician learn to do it? If you're supervising appropriately, there's no reason that you can't let someone see one, do one, teach one. If they do a bad job suturing something up, you cut the stitch and do it over. How would a student ever know if they liked doing procedures (and therefore wanted to go into something with a lot of procedures) if they never did them? Making them wait until they "know" they're going to be doing them someday doesn't make sense. How would they know?

Secondly, IVs and Foleys don't hurt a damn bit if you do it when the patient is asleep. That's why I teach the students how to do it after the patient has gone under general. Also, any specialty that involves doing an intern medical/surgical year could call on you to place a Foley or start an IV. They call me at 2am when the patient is retaining urine, and they can't put in a Foley. I can either (a. call my chief or attending (b. call the urologist on call (c. put the damn thing in myself.

What if it's more serious? You're cross-covering the ICU, and your patient self-extubates and is now crashing, and you've never intubated a patient before. Or they're still intubated, but now they can't ventilate/oxygenate, and their pressure just bottomed out from the tension pneumo from the barotrauma. Nope, you've never placed a chest tube either, and the attending is at home.

When I'm an attending some day, and I order a Foley on some guy with BPH before I start a long case and the new OR nurse can't get it, then I'll just get a Coude and do it. I've seen the peds surgeon start an IV because the anesthesiologist and OR nurse couldn't get one.

Learning on surgery, to me, means learning the differential for a patient, to know when you can let the patient be, when you need run a test, and when you need to consult surgery immediately. That kind of learning can be done effectively while you hang back and stay quiet outside of rounds and pimping.
That is something that is usually learned at night while on call, something that is also frequently poo-pooed on SDN, because why do students need to take call? Free air, cold legs, dead gut, and trauma tend to happen on nights and weekends.

That's kind of the point, though. The scut work nonsense that you do to get the grade to get the residency doesn't prepare you in any way for the residency. Since I started Intern year I have never been called upon to put something in a three ring binder. Meanwhile the book learning, some of which I didn't do because I was trapped in an OR, is something that I desperately need to know. Being a good medical student isn't genearlly the best preparation for being a good resident.
Like what?

Every procedure has a serious error rate? For IVs and Foleys? They let nursing students do that stuff, and it seems inappropriate to let someone who is nearly a physician learn to do it? If you're supervising appropriately, there's no reason that you can't let someone see one, do one, teach one. If they do a bad job suturing something up, you cut the stitch and do it over. How would a student ever know if they liked doing procedures (and therefore wanted to go into something with a lot of procedures) if they never did them? Making them wait until they "know" they're going to be doing them someday doesn't make sense. How would they know?

Yes IVs and foleys have an error rate. Infiltrations and aggresively placed catheters hurt for days, just like a bruise.Badly placed IVs can also cost veins that you might need later Nurses learn IVs because nurses do IVs, and they're supervised by senior nurse adminstors when they do it. We let them risk a few patients at first because they are responsible for that skill and if they don't learn it will cost lives, the same reason we let young surgeons risk lives by doing surgeries they have never done before. People who are almost physicians don't need to learn to do foleys and IVs because they will not, at a later time, do them. Except for a handful of specialties.

If you think people need to do procedures to learn if they like it, that might be a reasonable argument to make students do procedures that they will one day do if they go into a procedureal specialty. But we don't do that. MS3s don't place chest tubes, they don't run codes, and they don't hold scalpels. I don't see how a procedure like an IV teaches you that you're going to like surgery.

Secondly, IVs and Foleys don't hurt a damn bit if you do it when the patient is asleep. That's why I teach the students how to do it after the patient has gone under general. Also, any specialty that involves doing an intern medical/surgical year could call on you to place a Foley or start an IV. They call me at 2am when the patient is retaining urine, and they can't put in a Foley. I can either (a. call my chief or attending (b. call the urologist on call (c. put the damn thing in myself.

I have never, ever started an IV or foley as an Intern. If a needs a physician it needs a urologist, and anesthesiologist, or an intensivist. In all other cases it needs a nurse. Because the nurses have way more experience than the medical students in both these procedures, and if they can't get it aver placing half a dozen IVs a day odds are you aren't going to get it after placing half a dozen IVs in all of medical school.

What if it's more serious? You're cross-covering the ICU, and your patient self-extubates and is now crashing, and you've never intubated a patient before. Or they're still intubated, but now they can't ventilate/oxygenate, and their pressure just bottomed out from the tension pneumo from the barotrauma. Nope, you've never placed a chest tube either, and the attending is at home.
No Intern is ever alone in the hospital anymore. If you go into a specialty that cross covers ICUs you learn during Intern year under the supervision of your real and present senior. If you don't you never endanger a patient by practicing a skill you won't use.

That is something that is usually learned at night while on call, something that is also frequently poo-pooed on SDN, because why do students need to take call? Free air, cold legs, dead gut, and trauma tend to happen on nights and weekends.

I agree, though I think night float makes more sense than call. Just because you work at night doesn't meed you need to work the day before.

Like what?

The differential, workup, and treatment of abdominal pain comes up alot. Surgical vs medical management of the various soft tissue infections. When surgical management is appropriate for GI conditions and when medical management can suffice. I'm sure there's more, though I can't think of it right now. I'm not saying I didn't know most of this stuff at least pretty well, but I could have been more sure of myself if I didn't observe dozens of surgicall procedures and focused on ER consults instead.

Last edited:
If you think people need to do procedures to learn if they like it, that might be a reasonable argument to make students do procedures that they will one day do if they go into a procedureal specialty. But we don't do that. MS3s don't place chest tubes, they don't run codes, and they don't hold scalpels. I don't see how a procedure like an IV teaches you that you're going to like surgery.
Yes, I listed a few other procedures too....

I have never, ever started an IV or foley as an Intern. If a needs a physician it needs a urologist, and anesthesiologist, or an intensivist. In all other cases it needs a nurse.
Then you had better make sure you only work in a facility that has urologists, anesthesiologists and intensivists available.

No Intern is ever alone in the hospital anymore. If you go into a specialty that cross covers ICUs you learn during Intern year under the supervision of your real and present senior. If you don't you never endanger a patient by practicing a skill you won't use.
The intern rule is new, and didn't apply when I was an intern. I understand that aspect has changed, but I disagree that it means we should restructure medical student education to push all of that learning back onto intern year, as if it didn't already have enough involved (with fewer hours).

The differential, workup, and treatment of abdominal pain comes up alot. Surgical vs medical management of the various soft tissue infections. When surgical management is appropriate for GI conditions and when medical management can suffice. I'm not saying I didn't know this stuff, but I could have been more sure of myself if I didn't observe dozens of small procedures and focused on ER consults instead.
Dozens of small procedures....like surgical debridement of various soft tissue infections?

If you wanted to focus on ER consults, why not do an ER rotation?

MCW. Which happens to be where I went. The M3 is responsible for cutting off the patient's clothes, helping roll, and depending which way the patient rolls, either you or the intern examines the back and does the rectal (calling out the findings for both), do a femoral stick for a blood draw, and place the Foley if needed.

Yep, this is exactly how traumas were run during my residency at Penn State s well. Intern or 2nd year doing the primary survey, medical student doing the blood/rectal/Foley (with some assist if needed, especially early in the year). I know this is *not* atypical.

Okay.

Ok I agree you have to speak up for procedures. However, except surgical rotations, procedures are somewhat rare at my school.

You can look up a textbook answer, but you still might have no clue why you're doing what you're doing for your patient, which is pretty relevant. I still have to ask my attendings why we're taking the specific approach that we are for a given patient in some situations, so I'm quite sure that the students don't know.
Sometimes. But, give me 20 minutes with uptodate + medscape, 90% of the time I will get a much more complete answer than any attending could provide off the top of their head. If we are doing something which doesn't agree with what I read then it makes sense to ask questions. However, again this would produce very few questions and make me look 'uninterested.'

Taking blood to the lab. Making appointment for patients for my resident's pt I am not even following. Refilling paper in the printer. Getting the resident's lunch.

I obviously know how to walk. Likewise I know how to talk on the phone. This isn't teaching me crap. It is simply the resident abusing the med student so they have less work to do. I realize residents are overworked. Fine. But this 100% definitely isn't my job. Hire a personal assistant if you can't handle it yourself.

And what exactly do you think we should call such a student?

My point is my 'job' isn't to increase your productivity. I am a student, you are a paid employee. I pay ~$100+ a day to learn. Apart from procedures, I learn more going home and reading than following my resident around doing paperwork. Hell, even if they taught me to do the paperwork that would be fine, that would have a little educational value. However, me watching you put orders in on cross-cover pts I know nothing about is useless.

Bottom line, perception is king. For most med students perception (i.e. your grade) trumps learning.

Certainly, if the thread title was, "Dear surgery residents: Thanks for being awesome" it would have been met with less hostility. However, this is not difficult to understand. There is not a single group of people inside or outside of medicine that will allow an inaccurate and negative blanket statement to be made. In truth, only a fraction of surgery residents are c#*ts that should go f@#k themselves.

These are some good points. Lately I've been trying to conceive of what exactly I'm trying to accomplish day in and day out on wards. My instincts are to help this really busy guy--intern--do his job. And I just dive in. But then what am I doing...learning institutionally specific clerical moves that would change the day after I move on from the rotation. Something I'm destined to learn all over again when it actually becomes my job. What does knowing how to finagle my way through this particular bureaucracy do for me. I'm 3 rotations in and I've been extremely successful at making interns very happy. They sing my my praises. To no one. I've performed just decently on shelves. And have flubbed a good number of my momentary spurts in the brief limelight of the attendings gaze. Like auditions for some soap opera I could care less about. Your favorite bit in 30 seconds....go!....buzzer! Thanks kid.

The whole thing is f@cking stupid. That's why I find the OP's impulse liberating and hilarious. All that time I spent tip-toeing around this malicious surgical intern that taught me nothing. I want wasted life back. I need some methodology to override my guilty instinct about this guy getting buried by paper shuffling. This is a politician's politician series of behaviors that make someone "good." Not the least bit related to clinical knowledge base.

A great clinical education would be an absurdity in this system. The attending would sit on my shoulder like yoda in the swamps of patient care. I would get a chance to demonstrate the infancy of clinical decision making and get developed Socratically into sophistication. Who the f@ck has time for that. So I'm a b!tches b!tch. Left to put it all together after long hours of pointlessness. With the possible exception of learning concise presentation style, itself not exactly homogenous. But that's 2-3 hour day to do that.

So yeah that cranky surgeon who wasted my life can suck it! Wish I hadn't got taken for a ride. Now I know. They can suck it from go. The cool ones still make me feel bad for studying while their hustling, which is the most frustrating thing about clerking, being pulled in different directions by expectations from all angles. The ones that matter to my success are the opposite to the person I spend the most time with.

This is probably my favorite SDN post in recent history. I can't formulate a retort because it's just too funny.

This in my opinion isn't appropriate MS3 learning, and for that matter I don't think these are skills that every civilian MS3/resident should learn at all. Every procedure has a serious error rate when you start doing it, and even when those errors aren't fatal they all at least suck/hurt.....

Good point. Why even try to do something if you're not going to be awesome at it right away?

Having a well-rounded medical education is overrated. We should all focus on our tiny little areas of expertise, and if variability occurs, or anything takes us out of our comfort zone, I think it's fair to just s#@t our pants and have no idea what to do.

People who are almost physicians don't need to learn to do foleys and IVs because they will not, at a later time, do them. Except for a handful of specialties.

.....I have never, ever started an IV or foley as an Intern. If a needs a physician it needs a urologist, and anesthesiologist, or an intensivist.

Five months into your residency, and you have it all figured out.

I like that you think foleys require a urology consult, and IVs require anesthesia or a trip to the ICU. I want to see this go down in real life.

Once you get deeper into residency, I will find great irony in your complaints that your chosen specialty is dealing with bulls#$t consults.

Just to play devil's advocate, if students going into procedural specialties buy into your logic, then they should refuse to do anything that isn't procedural. They shouldn't read about hypertension or diabetes because there's no surgery involved, and they can just consult medicine to manage it when they become residents.

Future radiologists should refuse to do anything but look at X-rays. Future pathologists should refuse to see patients.

This isn't about stereotypes. My comment was simply in response to those who would claim that laying low is the best way to succeed on a surgical rotation. Your anger is misplaced.

I have enough self-esteem that I do not depend on a cadre of medical students fawning all over me, being impressed by me, to feel good about myself.

As noted above, my comment is actually relevant to all rotations and professions. I absolutely disagree with the poster who says that all that matters to an employer is that someone does their job well. I run 3 small offices in private practice. My employees work hard and generally do a good job but frankly, their gossipy, catty, bad attitudes toward each other and in one case, constant tardiness, means that they are replaceable. Maybe that sort of stuff flies in a large company, where one can disappear in a cubicle; that's not the case in small company or in medicine where you are constantly interacting with others. I have come to understand that employees and students think differently about this. So its not enough just to do a good job IMHO.

Students who "lay low", whom disappear after rounds, whom never answer their pages, claim to have lectures (when I know they don't), whom seem to be going through the paces without trying to learn anything, will find that those are bad approaches to any job. There is a reason why the requirements for a High Pass are "exceeds expectations"; Honors requires even more. You can't just show up, stand up at the back of pack, and slip off to the library when you think we aren't looking and expect that's enough. I'm sorry if that surprises students, but this is true for ALL of your rotations and your future career. I really enjoy having students rotate with me now because its an elective; they want to be there and it shows.

:thumbup: Doing what's right for your patient is always the right thing to do.

What do you understand to be meek? Is meek not asking questions that frequently or is it not being willing to partake in procedures, work that needs to be done, etc?

I mean, to me reserved personality but competent (for one's level) =/= meek.

I'm not referring to the student who is reserved or even shy. It may be shocking to some but there are surgeons who possess those qualities. One of the quietest most reserved attending surgeons I know is an Orthopod (who is also very small in stature and loves talking about playing Barbies with his 3 daughters more than how much he can bench).

IMHO someone who is meek is unwilling to do as ShyRem did, who won't be assertive when their patient needs it, they will avoid procedures and lack confidence in their knowledge and skills, but won't work to try and increase those.

Meek students will often not "exceed expectations" and the shyer ones can have a difficult time on surgical rotations. There is a bias against these types of students/people if only because we recognize that a valuable quality for all physicians is the ability to "do what's right", standing up for your patients and for yourself, and for many fields, confidence is necessary. Being reserved and confident aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but it can be difficult to demonstrate.

Future radiologists should refuse to do anything but look at X-rays. Future pathologists should refuse to see patients.

Finally, something I agree with.

Taking blood to the lab. Making appointment for patients for my resident's pt I am not even following. Refilling paper in the printer. Getting the resident's lunch.

I obviously know how to walk. Likewise I know how to talk on the phone. This isn't teaching me crap. It is simply the resident abusing the med student so they have less work to do. I realize residents are overworked. Fine. But this 100% definitely isn't my job. Hire a personal assistant if you can't handle it yourself.

Absolutely.

If students are being asked to do those things then I agree, that is inappropriate.

Now taking blood to the lab may be a "non-teaching moment" but if the results are needed ASAP, and waiting for the runner to come and get them adds valuable time, then you are helping the team and consequently, helping the patient. I see nothing wrong with asking the student to do anything I would do in the name of patient care. But routine lab work doesn't need the student to run it down.

Getting my lunch? Not necessary unless you are counting you've announced you're going to the cafeteria and I ask if you can bring me back a soda.

Refilling the printer? Are you standing right there when its discovered the paper is out? That's just being helpful. Are you routinely being asked to refill the printer? That's just odd.

My point is my 'job' isn't to increase your productivity. I am a student, you are a paid employee. I pay ~$100+ a day to learn. Apart from procedures, I learn more going home and reading than following my resident around doing paperwork. Hell, even if they taught me to do the paperwork that would be fine, that would have a little educational value. However, me watching you put orders in on cross-cover pts I know nothing about is useless.

The point is that your job as a student is to learn about surgery but also to assist in the care of the patients on the team. Sitting around watching the residents enter orders is not useful, I'd agree. But please don't tell me you didn't do that on Peds, IM, OB.

There is value in just "being there"; you cannot learn surgery from a textbook any more than you can learn medicine or pediatrics. Anyone of your attendings will tell you that a) the textbooks are at least 5 years out of date and b) there is value in seeing, touching and evaluating patients that you can't get out of a textbook. One of the defining moments of medical education is when you realize that you can look at a patient and just know they're sick, before they spike a temp, have leukocytosis or start vomiting. A textbook can't teach you that.

**I have to honestly wonder if the reason for the dissonance is because of the different experience of surgery amongst SDNers. The students who post on here obviously represent a small portion of the medical schools across the country; people with bad experiences are more likely to vent about those.

However, the SDN surgical members who post on here and whom have stayed on SDN throughout medical school, residency and fellowship tend to be those who have had good educational experiences and whom enjoy teaching. We may represent a different type of surgeon than what our SDN medical student colleagues are interacting with. For that, I am truly sorry. Had I had the same experience as a medical student, I might have ended up as an Endocrinologist.**

Last edited:
Absolutely.

If students are being asked to do those things then I agree, that is inappropriate.

Now taking blood to the lab may be a "non-teaching moment" but if the results are needed ASAP, and waiting for the runner to come and get them adds valuable time, then you are helping the team and consequently, helping the patient. I see nothing wrong with asking the student to do anything I would do in the name of patient care. But routine lab work doesn't need the student to run it down.

Getting my lunch? Not necessary unless you are counting you've announced you're going to the cafeteria and I ask if you can bring me back a soda.

Refilling the printer? Are you standing right there when its discovered the paper is out? That's just being helpful. Are you routinely being asked to refill the printer? That's just odd.

The point is that your job as a student is to learn about surgery but also to assist in the care of the patients on the team. Sitting around watching the residents enter orders is not useful, I'd agree. But please don't tell me you didn't do that on Peds, IM, OB.

There is value in just "being there"; you cannot learn surgery from a textbook any more than you can learn medicine or pediatrics. Anyone of your attendings will tell you that a) the textbooks are at least 5 years out of date and b) there is value in seeing, touching and evaluating patients that you can't get out of a textbook. One of the defining moments of medical education is when you realize that you can look at a patient and just know they're sick, before they spike a temp, have leukocytosis or start vomiting. A textbook can't teach you that.

**I have to honestly wonder if the reason for the dissonance is because of the different experience of surgery amongst SDNers. The students who post on here obviously represent a small portion of the medical schools across the country; people with bad experiences are more likely to vent about those.

However, the SDN surgical members who post on here and whom have stayed on SDN throughout medical school, residency and fellowship tend to be those who have had good educational experiences and whom enjoy teaching. We may represent a different type of surgeon than what our SDN medical student colleagues are interacting with. For that, I am truly sorry. Had I had the same experience as a medical student, I might have ended up as an Endocrinologist.**

Bottom line, people don't come on SDN to say ever great experience they had. Every rotation I have been in has many many more positive than negative experiences. Maybe even OB. I am still enjoying medicine as a whole. However, it is nice to be able to go on SDN and complain about those ****ty experiences where you have to bite the bullet.

Yes, I listed a few other procedures too....

Then you had better make sure you only work in a facility that has urologists, anesthesiologists and intensivists available.

The intern rule is new, and didn't apply when I was an intern. I understand that aspect has changed, but I disagree that it means we should restructure medical student education to push all of that learning back onto intern year, as if it didn't already have enough involved (with fewer hours).

Dozens of small procedures....like surgical debridement of various soft tissue infections?

If you wanted to focus on ER consults, why not do an ER rotation?

That still won't get experience about surgery consults. Yeah, you'll see cases where they will call surgery, but then, they will take it from there and bam! on to the next one. At least from the surgery side, you can do the consult from the ER/floors, come up with an idea of what you think it is, and discuss with the resident/attending if it needs surgical or medical management.

The OR taught me very little to nothing. That was the least educational aspect to my rotation. I almost fell asleep in the patient's open stomach a few times. But, like you said, is not something students are always forced to stay for 8 hours. I did however, liked the small procedures, and clinic. If I had the option to stay in clinic for most of the rotation, I would have done so in a heartbeat. I know this pains surgeons to hear this, but clinic was my favorite part of the rotation :O

Bottom line, people don't come on SDN to say ever great experience they had. Every rotation I have been in has many many more positive than negative experiences. Maybe even OB. I am still enjoying medicine as a whole. However, it is nice to be able to go on SDN and complain about those ****ty experiences where you have to bite the bullet.

Sure, I get that and have been known to indulge in a bit of venting here on SDN myself. Nothing wrong with it. Sometimes you just have to let off steam.

My point was that perhaps the reason there is some disagreement here is that those of us on SDN who do practice surgery have had a different experience than those who've had a negative one.

I'm not referring to the student who is reserved or even shy. It may be shocking to some but there are surgeons who possess those qualities. One of the quietest most reserved attending surgeons I know is an Orthopod (who is also very small in stature and loves talking about playing Barbies with his 3 daughters more than how much he can bench).

IMHO someone who is meek is unwilling to do as ShyRem did, who won't be assertive when their patient needs it, they will avoid procedures and lack confidence in their knowledge and skills, but won't work to try and increase those.

Meek students will often not "exceed expectations" and the shyer ones can have a difficult time on surgical rotations. There is a bias against these types of students/people if only because we recognize that a valuable quality for all physicians is the ability to "do what's right", standing up for your patients and for yourself, and for many fields, confidence is necessary. Being reserved and confident aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but it can be difficult to demonstrate.

Well, to give you an example, on my pediatrics rotation there was a patient whose admitting H&P had a very shoddy family medical history. They only noted diabetes in a grandmother.

When I took my own history later that day, it turned out that migraine headache was very prominent in the family, with the mom, dad, and multiple maternal relatives having it. The boy came in with vomiting but no diarrhea (and no bowel movement at all). He had expressive communication problems, as he has severe autism.

But after multiple conversations I had with his mother, it turns out that he asked the lights to be lowered and was saying music was bothering him. Photophobia and phonophobia. He also complained of headache and eye pain.

The differential they were pushing throughout the course of his care was post-infectious ileus (for an ear infection), psychogenic/adolescent regurgitation syndrome, GI obstruction, etc.

When I suggested that this could be migraine headache, abdominal migraine, or cyclic vomiting syndrome (all migraine spectrum, and the latter condition being linked to mitochondrial disorders/matrilineal inheritance, autism, and GI dysmotility)....and I put all this in my progress note, this was dismissed by the attending and senior resident because "migraine is intense headache, and that's not this kid's chief complaint."

They moved on, the kid got better on his own over 3 days (which would be the case with anything on the differential other than obstruction), and he was discharged.

Now, what should I have done there to "be assertive for my patient's needs"? I mean, am I supposed to fight with the attending, get told to shut up because I don't know pediatrics, etc.? What exactly do you suggest I as a student should do in a situation like that?

And if "being assertive for your patient" doesn't mean that...what exactly does it mean?

I'm not attacking, just wondering what practically powerless individuals like MS3s can do to "fight for their patients" in the face of senior residents and attendings.

And this is only one of many cases I know...

Well, to give you an example, on my pediatrics rotation there was a patient whose admitting H&P had a very shoddy family medical history. They only noted diabetes in a grandmother.

When I took my own history later that day, it turned out that migraine headache was very prominent in the family, with the mom, dad, and multiple maternal relatives having it. The boy came in with vomiting but no diarrhea (and no bowel movement at all). He had expressive communication problems, as he has severe autism.

But after multiple conversations I had with his mother, it turns out that he asked the lights to be lowered and was saying music was bothering him. Photophobia and phonophobia. He also complained of headache and eye pain.

The differential they were pushing throughout the course of his care was post-infectious ileus (for an ear infection), psychogenic/adolescent regurgitation syndrome, GI obstruction, etc.

When I suggested that this could be migraine headache, abdominal migraine, or cyclic vomiting syndrome (all migraine spectrum, and the latter condition being linked to mitochondrial disorders/matrilineal inheritance, autism, and GI dysmotility)....and I put all this in my progress note, this was dismissed by the attending and senior resident because "migraine is intense headache, and that's not this kid's chief complaint."

They moved on, the kid got better on his own over 3 days (which would be the case with anything on the differential other than obstruction), and he was discharged.

Now, what should I have done there to "be assertive for my patient's needs"? I mean, am I supposed to fight with the attending, get told to shut up because I don't know pediatrics, etc.? What exactly do you suggest I as a student should do in a situation like that?

And if "being assertive for your patient" doesn't mean that...what exactly does it mean?

I'm not attacking, just wondering what practically powerless individuals like MS3s can do to "fight for their patients" in the face of senior residents and attendings.

And this is only one of many cases I know...

Being assertive or doing what's right for the patient doesn't mean arguing with attendings. You might win the fight, but you'll potentially lose the war (ie, grades). ShyRem was able to "get away with it" because a) she was a resident and b) she was not on-service.

I would venture by noting that the history was incomplete and spending the time correcting it was being assertive and doing the right thing (even if it wasn't rewarded).

Certain things that come to mind would be:

1) you've been consulted on a patient for an acute problem; the scan/films ordered by the primary service has been completed but hasn't been read yet. Being assertive would mean looking at the film yourself and/or going to the Rads reading room and asking if they can review the film next because you're concerned about the patient.

2) noting what your Chief or attending says about when drains should be removed; seeing that patient X has met that criteria, mentioning that in your am plan, having the suture removal kit on you and stating, "I'll remove the drain" (or if you haven't done it before, "I'd like to remove the drain if someone could review the correct technique with me first")

3) you've called a consult and its been 6 hours and the patient still hasn't been seen. Using your medical student connections, you find out who's on the consult service, contact that student and get an update on when they see consults. I would not expect the student to create a fuss about it (we had one student who ranted and raged to a consulting team about why they had not seen our patient yet. That did not go over well with anyone involved.).

"Fighting for your patient" needn't be interpreted as actually causing fights. It might mean noting that the patient uses a walker at home but none has been provided in hospital (thus explaining why the patient has not been out of bed); it might mean finding out what the patient reactions are to certain meds listed as "allergies" and noting that they are simply side effects; it might mean helping the patient out of bed yourself and taking them for a walk if the nurses have been unable to do so; it might mean getting them a list of PCPs in the area if they don't have one.

MS-3s will almost always be on the bottom of the totem pole and you have to treat lightly. My point of the discussion above was to validate your observation that shy /= meek.

Last edited:
Good point. Why even try to do something if you're not going to be awesome at it right away?
You're missing the point. You shouldn't do something you're going to be bad at, that hurts patients, unless you're going to put enough time and practice into it that you're giong to be GOOD at it down the line, and then, once you're good at it, be the person who does that procedure. That's the justification for subjecting patients to risk: that you're helping more patients later on because you built the skills to help them. When you train in skills that you're not going to ultimately use you're hurting patients for no good reason.

Last edited:
Being assertive or doing what's right for the patient doesn't mean arguing with attendings. You might win the fight, but you'll potentially lose the war (ie, grades). ShyRem was able to "get away with it" because a) she was a resident and b) she was not on-service.

I would venture by noting that the history was incomplete and spending the time correcting it was being assertive and doing the right thing (even if it wasn't rewarded).

Certain things that come to mind would be:

1) you've been consulted on a patient for an acute problem; the scan/films ordered by the primary service has been completed but hasn't been read yet. Being assertive would mean looking at the film yourself and/or going to the Rads reading room and asking if they can review the film next because you're concerned about the patient.

2) noting what your Chief or attending says about when drains should be removed; seeing that patient X has met that criteria, mentioning that in your am plan, having the suture removal kit on you and stating, "I'll remove the drain" (or if you haven't done it before, "I'd like to remove the drain if someone could review the correct technique with me first")

3) you've called a consult and its been 6 hours and the patient still hasn't been seen. Using your medical student connections, you find out who's on the consult service, contact that student and get an update on when they see consults. I would not expect the student to create a fuss about it (we had one student who ranted and raged to a consulting team about why they had not seen our patient yet. That did not go over well with anyone involved.).

"Fighting for your patient" needn't be interpreted as actually causing fights. It might mean noting that the patient uses a walker at home but none has been provided in hospital (thus explaining why the patient has not been out of bed); it might mean finding out what the patient reactions are to certain meds listed as "allergies" and noting that they are simply side effects; it might mean helping the patient out of bed yourself and taking them for a walk if the nurses have been unable to do so; it might mean getting them a list of PCPs in the area if they don't have one.

MS-3s will almost always be on the bottom of the totem pole and you have to treat lightly. My point of the discussion above was to validate your observation that shy /= meek.

OK, thanks. I was totally misunderstanding you. What you're citing as examples I see as a normal baseline for a decent med student, which means paying attention to detail, being meticulous, noting inconsistencies and things that could be improved (and stating them before others), calling PCPs to help transition care back from the hospital, etc.

OK, thanks. I was totally misunderstanding you. What you're citing as examples I see as a normal baseline for a decent med student, which means paying attention to detail, being meticulous, noting inconsistencies and things that could be improved (and stating them before others), calling PCPs to help transition care back from the hospital, etc.

That's because you're probably a good student who, even if he isn't interested in surgery, works hard to maximize his learning experience and to benefit the team and the patient.

What you define as "decent" may be defined as "above and beyond" by others. Some students are still at the "non-applied science phase" (ie, they can't take the textbook knowledge and apply and extend it to the clinical situation), some don't know the expectations (which is not their fault) and others don't care. Especially for MS-3s, most of us have pretty low expectations - show up on time, care about your patients, treat them and the team (including the nurses) with respect and show me that you've read or thought about your patient's disease process and I'm happy. If you could act like we're not killing you slowly on a day to day basis, that's even better.

What you've described should characterize the average student but its not. You might be surprised at the length students will go to get out of work (for a myriad of reasons-mostly because they have decided its not relevant to their interests). I understand...I felt like committing Hari-Kari on Pediatrics. And yes, there are even some days in the OR where I am *done* and ready to go home.

Finally, we're not stupid. If you're going to lie about something to take a day off, don't tell other people, and don't set foot on campus. Someone is going to see you and tell me about it. :smuggrin:

This is absolutely correct, but in a much more eloquent way than I've been stating it.

I also feel that if I had more attendings like you, I would likely still be considering surgery. Probably not as a number 1, but would still be considering it.

a-holes don't pick surgery, working 430am-530pm turns people into a-holes.

Sometimes. But, give me 20 minutes with uptodate + medscape, 90% of the time I will get a much more complete answer than any attending could provide off the top of their head. If we are doing something which doesn't agree with what I read then it makes sense to ask questions. However, again this would produce very few questions and make me look 'uninterested.'
1. Neither one of those resources is that great for surgery, honestly. I don't have much experience with Medscape, but I've used UTD more than enough to know it usually won't answer a surgical question at my level.

2. You're asking the wrong questions if they're something you can just pick up yourself that quickly, and your attendings must not be that great. There are some attendings who don't seem to up-to-speed on the current literature, but most of mine - especially a few - could take you much deeper than you would ever get up UpToDate.

I've only asked a student to do one of those (grab me lunch), and it was in between long cases, and I asked him that if he were going to the cafeteria (he was starving too), could he please grab me something. If this stuff is happening regularly, I'd complain to administration. I never did any of those things for a resident, and in 2.5 years as a resident, only asked a student to do it once - and it was on the way.

It's a problem at the level of your school's administration if this is going on.

That still won't get experience about surgery consults. Yeah, you'll see cases where they will call surgery, but then, they will take it from there and bam! on to the next one. At least from the surgery side, you can do the consult from the ER/floors, come up with an idea of what you think it is, and discuss with the resident/attending if it needs surgical or medical management.

The OR taught me very little to nothing. That was the least educational aspect to my rotation. I almost fell asleep in the patient's open stomach a few times. But, like you said, is not something students are always forced to stay for 8 hours. I did however, liked the small procedures, and clinic. If I had the option to stay in clinic for most of the rotation, I would have done so in a heartbeat. I know this pains surgeons to hear this, but clinic was my favorite part of the rotation :O

100% agreed on this. I learned the most on surgery by doing surgical consults in the ER/floors, doing small procedures (NG tubes, I&Ds, ABGs, bedside bronchs - obviously helping more than doing - and putting in central lines and chest tubes), and seeing patients in the surgical clinics. In fact, my evaluation in surgery actually suffered as a result of spending less time in the OR and volunteering to do more floor procedures, post-op checks, and clinic time. According to my resident it showed I "wasn't interested enough"... :confused: oh well, can't win them all (still managed to pull off a decent grade anyway).

I'm glad that some of the surgical residents/attendings here seem to be cognizant of the fact that sometimes students abhor the OR and have no interest in it, but may get more educational/teaching value out of doing other things.

For me, yeah. There was a sign out and night float took over. I mean, I'm sure they sometimes were there later, but the night float team covered all night.

That was only the case with my surgery interns due to duty hour restrictions; typically the senior residents would take overnight calls. On days they weren't on call, they would work until they were finished with their work, which could be anywhere from 3:00 pm (rarely) to 7:30 pm. The interns would follow a much stricter sign in/out schedule.

I'm glad that some of the surgical residents/attendings here seem to be cognizant of the fact that sometimes students abhor the OR and have no interest in it, but may get more educational/teaching value out of doing other things.

Its all about setting expectations (on both sides). Ideally, if its made apparent from the beginning that you are there to learn about how to manage surgical problems as a non-surgeon, I think it completely reasonable to limit in-OR time.

That being said, I can understand that some old school attendings may not see it that way or may reason that a 3rd year student doesn't really know *what* they want or how they will best benefit from the rotation. That can be tough to do without sounding like you aren't interested. It was easier with off-service residents; we knew most of the EM, Anesth or Peds residents (on Peds Surgery) had no interest in the OR, so they were relegated to floor duties.

IMHO there is benefit in seeing some cases and improving your tissue handling and suturing skills. However, I'm not sure that most 3rd years get much out of being 2nd assist on a lengthy fem-distal more than once; I think evaluating patients in the ED, seeing what a post-op course is like and managing pain/constipation/ileus is much more useful.

Its all about setting expectations (on both sides). Ideally, if its made apparent from the beginning that you are there to learn about how to manage surgical problems as a non-surgeon, I think it completely reasonable to limit in-OR time.

That being said, I can understand that some old school attendings may not see it that way or may reason that a 3rd year student doesn't really know *what* they want or how they will best benefit from the rotation. That can be tough to do without sounding like you aren't interested. It was easier with off-service residents; we knew most of the EM, Anesth or Peds residents (on Peds Surgery) had no interest in the OR, so they were relegated to floor duties.

IMHO there is benefit in seeing some cases and improving your tissue handling and suturing skills. However, I'm not sure that most 3rd years get much out of being 2nd assist on a lengthy fem-distal more than once; I think evaluating patients in the ED, seeing what a post-op course is like and managing pain/constipation/ileus is much more useful.

Agreed with all of this. I think it's also an issue with some not-so-old-school attendings and residents as well though; I had a chief resident who literally "mandated" having a student with him on every case. For what purpose god only knows other than being an extra human retractor (wasn't teaching much, from what I remember). And I appreciate that you guys take into account that not everyone gains the same value from staying in the OR all the time - it would have made my surgical rotation much more bearable :)

I definitely agree that seeing SOME cases and developing some basic skills is 100% necessary - I would try to see one of every kind of case, but for me after my 4th or 5th hernia and my 10th lap chole or lap appy, I pretty much got whatever value out of the particular surgery after the second time I saw it (and in the case of ridiculously long ones like Whipples or total perineal resections or whatnot... ugh, surg-onc... just once was good enough). And given that I'm interested in cardiology or critical care most likely, I appreciated being able to do procedures and suture and such. It's just finding a good balance, and not being treated like an extra pair of retracting hands.

I actually did very little of what I would consider "scutwork" in surgery - the most busy work that I had to do I either volunteered for (small bedside procedures, writing post-op notes or pre-op evaluations, clinics, etc) or it got me out early in the day.

Honestly, that was my major gripe with surgery (and the fact that the residents that I had didn't feel up to practicing competent medical management with their patients) - my OB/Gyn experience with my residents was WAY worse.

Last edited:
Agreed with all of this. I think it's also an issue with some not-so-old-school attendings and residents as well though; I had a chief resident who literally "mandated" having a student with him on every case. For what purpose god only knows other than being an extra human retractor (wasn't teaching much, from what I remember).

Well we all know that you don't have to be "old" in years to be "old school". We had a few residents who came from different training programs which were much more hierarchical than our residency program and would try and pull the same stunts or claim, "that's intern work" (when they were PGY2s).

I fail to understand forcing students to be there (against their desires) and not teaching them *something*. I can only feel that it is simply for you to bask in their awesomeness. ;)

You might be interested in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=969487

I...(and in the case of ridiculously long ones like Whipples or total perineal resections or whatnot... ugh, surg-onc... just once was good enough).

Hey! :mad: (j/k I get it...although a straight up Whipple or APR shouldn't take *that* long)

Honestly, that was my major gripe with surgery (and the fact that the residents that I had didn't feel up to practicing competent medical management with their patients) -

That's really a shame. A good general surgery program should build on medical management skills of its residents for basic acute and chronic medical conditions.