Decided to go to med school a year ago, applying this cycle, what do you think..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kmd001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to go to med school last year (the beginning of my junior year) and this is where I'm at so far as far as Stats go:
cGPA 3.57
sGPA 3.46 MD 3.45 DO (will be adding 4 classes worth of grades to these totals which are looking now to be 3 A's and a B+)

Shadowing: 50 hrs (20 MD, 25 DO, and 5 PA) in Ortho surgery, pediatrics, family practice (also I am about to begin shadowing a MD OB/Gyn)

Clinical Volunteer: 64hrs Emergancy Department , 5 hrs Free Clinic

Non-clinical Volunteer/ Leadership: 55hrs Church Sunday School teacher and VBS arts and crafts teacher, organized Race for the Cure: 10hrs

Research: none

I have a few more volunteer positions by these are my biggies.
Furthermore I am kind of non-traditional. I am 24 but I am also married with 3 kids under the age of 4. So I am currently a full time mom/student/volunteer/shadow.
Finally, I take my MCAT on May 19, but on practice tests I have been scoring between a 27 and 31.

Please let me know if there is anything specific I should add. Thanks!

PS: I am planning on applying broadly and not to top 25 schools...both MD and DO...I don't have a state school but I will be applying to schools that my state has contracts with
~K

One last thing...I have traveled extensively and grew up in a location where I was the minority and have a unique perspective of diversity...(part of PS)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I decided to go to med school last year (the beginning of my junior year) and this is where I'm at so far as far as Stats go:
cGPA 3.57
sGPA 3.56

Shadowing: 50 hrs (20 MD, 25 DO, and 5 PA) in Ortho surgery, pediatrics, family practice (also I am about to begin shadowing a MD OB/Gyn)

Clinical Volunteer: 64hrs Emergancy Department , 5 hrs Free Clinic

Non-clinical Volunteer/ Leadership: 55hrs Church Sunday School teacher and VBS arts and crafts teacher, organized Race for the Cure: 10hrs

Research: none

I have a few more volunteer positions by these are my biggies.
Furthermore I am kind of non-traditional. I am 24 but I am also married with 3 kids under the age of 4. So I am currently a full time mom/student/volunteer/shadow.
Finally, I take my MCAT on May 19, but on practice tests I have been scoring between a 27 and 31.

Please let me know if there is anything specific I should add. Thanks!

PS: I am planning on applying broadly and not to top 25 schools...both MD and DO...I don't have a state school but I will be applying to schools that my state has contracts with
~K

One last thing...I have traveled extensively and grew up in a location where I was the minority and have a unique perspective of diversity...(part of PS)
Can you comment on your grade trend? Also, do you have any As in upper-level Bio?
Your shadowing is right at the average hours now. Your clinical volunteering though is less than half of that typically listed. Is there any chance of majorly beefing those hours up, to say, at least 100 before submission?
Do you have any other nonmedical community service, maybe related to your kids, that you can list (volunteering at their day care or soccer team, for example)? You can group short-term volunteering all together in one space to make a bigger impact.
Don't forget hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors can be listed, too.

With an MCAT of 25, you'd be considered by a number of DO schools. For MD, aim for a 31+. Is there is a school nearby that you'd particularly like to get into?

Three kids are a great excuse for sparser ECs (though I can't promise it will be considered a good enough excuse by all adcomms), but if you open the door to that, you can be asked about what you'll do if one gets sick, needs to be picked up from school, etc, along the lines of: what is your support system. Have a good answer. There are mixed thoughts about mentioning family on the application. You'll have to decide for yourself which way you'll go.

Parenting as an EC:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=749784
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=530554
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=398775
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=283710

Can you comment on your grade trend? Also, do you have any As in upper-level Bio?
Your shadowing is right at the average hours now. Your clinical volunteering though is less than half of that typically listed. Is there any chance of majorly beefing those hours up, to say, at least 100 before submission?
Do you have any other nonmedical community service, maybe related to your kids, that you can list (volunteering at their day care or soccer team, for example)? You can group short-term volunteering all together in one space to make a bigger impact.
Don't forget hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors can be listed, too.

With an MCAT of 25, you'd be considered by a number of DO schools. For MD, aim for a 31+. Is there is a school nearby that you'd particularly like to get into?

Three kids are a great excuse for sparser ECs (though I can't promise it will be considered a good enough excuse by all adcomms), but if you open the door to that, you can be asked about what you'll do if one gets sick, needs to be picked up from school, etc, along the lines of: what is your support system. Have a good answer. There are mixed thoughts about mentioning family on the application. You'll have to decide for yourself which way you'll go.

As far as my grade trend is concerned, with the exception of my first semester (in 2007, I did not do well but not do to lack of intelligence but a lack of attendance) I have not had a grade below a B and most have been in the B+ to A range. I have 2 upper level biology classes with A's (and as long as I do well on my final I will be adding a third). Additionally I have A's in upper level psychology courses as well. (and if all goes to plan I will have 2 more to add to my transcript before my application is submitted).
I was on track to have over 100 hours of clinical volunteering before submitting but due to another volunteer and doc, the entire program has been terminated. I have been contacting every clinic (and hospital) I can think of and none of them have anything with ANY patient contact unless you are in the University's Nursing/PA/Pharmacy programs. My little brothers best friends Dad does own the Community Care clinics in my area and I am hoping he will help me get a volunteer position at one of them so that I can get the rest of my hours.
My kids are 3, 2, and 10months so I have not been able to participate in sports or anything yet. I have already got my answers to the "kid questions" ready...not excuses, just a demonstration of how my experience as an undergrad with kids has prepared me for the commitments required by med school, as well as how my husband and I will handle the many issues that can arise when one has children (we have been doing this for 3 years already and are well practiced at how to handle school, work, and kids :)).
But my other volunteering includes being a student adviser at my university, (we just finished new student orientation) ~9hrs so far(more to come), and performing as part of a New Kids on the Block puppeteer group that teaches children about disabilities (50 hour project).
As far as hobbies go, I love athletics and art. I was a gymnast/ cheerleader for 6 years. I also won a scholastic art award for one of my pieces.
I am applying broadly, I do not have a state school and the state schools that my state contracts with are not conducive to one that has a family (required to move each year which means new job and new schools for my kids every year) so I will not be applying there.
Hope this helps,
~K

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind giving your year-by-year GPAs, including what you think you'll end with this term? This is how it will show up on the applications.

You might consider looking into volunteering at a skilled-level nursing home. They tend to still be more open to volunteers with fewer orientation and titer/test requirements.

One of my kids started soccer at age three, which is why I threw that idea in. The newly added volunteer opportunities both sound good.

Fall 2007: 2.0
Spring 2008: 3.4
Summer 2008: 3.47
Break...had a baby
Summer 2009: 3.0 (1class)
Fall 2009: 3.4
Summer 2010 (4classes): 3.6
Fall 2010: 3.57
Spring 2011: 3.57
Fall 2011: 3.6
anticipated this semester: 3.77 (the semester ends in 3 weeks so unless I bomb my finals--not likely-- then this is about accurate)

Last edited:
THe numbers are excellent, pending the GPA you should be in the top groups of applicants. And your ECs are lackluster, and it will be a stretch filling up 15 slots for you. That can be done though, for sure, and because your grades are strong you can be sucessful with MD and DO - not having the best ECs.

Especially considering the kids, people can relate to this. Also, keep thinking about why you chose medicine and get ready to tell this in about one page, personal statement.

Fall 2007: 2.0
Spring 2008: 3.4
Summer 2008: 3.47
Break...had a baby
Summer 2009: 3.0 (1class)
Fall 2009: 3.4
Summer 2010 (4classes): 3.6
Fall 2010: 3.57
Spring 2011: 3.57
Fall 2011: 3.6
anticipated this semester: 3.77 (the semester ends in 3 weeks so unless I bomb my finals--not likely-- then this is about accurate)
The guesstimate year-by-year GPAs that I calculated in my head appear to show a good upward grade trend, which I think will be important. So will be adding more clinical experience and your newly described nonmedical volunteerism. I'm sorry to throw added pressure on you, when MCAT study is also very important, as that's a lot to do in a limited time before you apply. And if it takes too long, and you end up submitting late in the cycle, your chances of success decrease.

Don't feel you need to fill up all 15 Experience spaces, BTW. Nine to ten are the average used, and, obviously, half of applicants use less.

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it.
~K

Your clinical hours are very low by any measure. Adcoms look to those experiences, plus how the applicant relates them to motivation to become a physician (in the PS), in evaluating applicants. These activities are not simply "boxes" that applicants check off - they are essential "unwritten" requirements. Total clinical hours (shadow and volunteer) should be in the hundreds of hours. I applied with approx 500 hours, mostly hospital volunteering. Overkill? Perhaps a little, but I would not apply with numbers like yours, FWIW.