Deciding college major, I know I want to work with animals

Love-Animals05

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been deciding what to major in, I'm going to college this fall as a freshmen. I know you don't have to start taking major specific classes until junior year, but I just don't know what to do. I wanted to be a vet when I was younger but I have muscle damaging on the left side of my body, most importantly my hand, so I know labs and surgery will be hard. I don't like to feel like I'm bothering people by asking them to help me because I can't do it correctly. Secondly I've taken numerous science related classes, biology is really boring and I don't want to spend 4 years taking biology, I currently take AP Biology I do the work because I have to. I don't care about learning how cells and body works. I want to rescue and play with animals. I was thinking of changing to psychology, the problem is there are not a lot of jobs out there relating to animals out there, . I don't want to earn a low 20,000 - 30,000 a year, that seems way too low, a good salary in the United States is $60,000. Help me please

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to become a veterinarian?

A veterinarian makes an average of 84k a year.

Then again, many vet schools are more competitive compared to some medical schools. It's because they don't talk. *just kidding but that's the inside joke.*

Have you considered a zoo internship or shadowing someone in your area that works with animal care, such as at a horse stable? These types of jobs would not get you a high salary, however, you might enjoy it. It sounds like you do not really enjoy biology, and biology is an integral part of veterinary medicine, so pre-veterinary studies are probably not a huge interest to you. You could major in animal science without taking the veterinary route - this career would focus more on agriculture/farming rather than companion animals, so you would have to be okay with that. Do you enjoy other types of science? A major in chemistry offers a decent salary and does not focus on biology or how the body works.

According to the Occupational Handbook, the median annual wages for a psychologist in 2014 was $70,700 so you can make good money here, but you will be working closely with people and you will also need a Ph.D., meaning more education.

Reactions: 1 user
There are MANY jobs in animal management and care. Explore animal sciences (it is a major at many larger universities with farming roots). Are you hesitant to do veterinary because you think you can't, because others have told you that your physical limitations are too great, or because you don't want to? College is also a world of difference from high school (and the real work world is even more different!) so don't judge subjects from high school without trying them out in college. Honestly your job may end up being not animal related if you decide you secretly love accounting or something, but you might be able to make enough money to have animal related hobbies/activities outside of work. It doesn't have to be a linear thing so just explore, find what you like, take lots of classes in different things and keep your mind open.