Decision between MD and DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go to OU-HCOM or should I go to WSUBSOM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

williamsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am so ecstatic and proud to say that I have been accepted to 2 schools so far and I have had 7 interviews. I applied to 5 D.O. schools and 12 M.D. schools. I want to say off of the bat that I did not apply to D.O. schools as a back up. I genuinely decided based off of shadowing experiences that I have had as well as volunteering in the ER by my university.

As of now (and I know this is subject to change) I am interested in becoming a neurologist. I did shadow a DO neurologist at Boston Children's Hospital. A lot of people have told me that it would be easier on me to go MD because I wouldn't have to worry about possibly taking two sets of board exams. I have a friend who is a resident in Houston, Texas who is in IM and he is a DO and he said that he would rather see me go MD. He said he doesn't want any doors to be closed to me. To add to that the dean of West Virginia University Dr. Hannah Hazard suggested that I go MD because the curriculum may be stronger and going to the MD school will allow for me to possibly make more connections and have more doors open to me.

The schools I am deciding between right now are Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine and Wright State University Boonshoft School of medicine. I enjoyed both schools equally also both schools have an emphasis on primary care and serving underserved populations. Boonshoft has a global international track program. OU has a Rural and Urban scholars program. If select for the OU program I would get a total of $50,0000. $10,000 for year one and then $40,000 upon graduation if I match into primary care or IM. However, I am not interested in either one of those areas of medicine right now. Though, I will say that I am highly interested in serving underserved populations.

OU right now has given me $3,000 for year one and a $4,000 renewable scholarship for every year. Boonshoft will take a bit longer I guess to let me know if I get anything. OU is about $31,000 for tuition (without the scholarships) and Boonshoft is $36,000. I am in-state. I really don't think I will be heading to any of the out of state schools.

Lastly, the main reason I posted here in this forum is that as an African-American male I was wondering if it would benefit me more to go MD vs. DO? It is hard as it is for us. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be complicating anything.

I will say I loved OU-HCOM because it was my first acceptance. Wright State is right up there though. I really need some advice. I praise God in the highest because this is a good dilemma to be in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
since you are not sure of what you want to do you should pick the school of the school that will a) be the best environment for your studying and
b) which would give you least debt which at the moment points to OU. but honestly with 5 schools left to notify you either way I would wait to see the other schools its a bit early to be choosing between schools.( especially when one of the acceptances haven't sent financial packages yet) ( but hey what do I know ). I believe that you wouldn't have doors shut eitther way

since you are not sure of what you want to do you should pick the school of the school that will a) be the best environment for your studying and
b) which would give you least debt which at the moment points to OU. but honestly with 5 schools left to notify you either way I would wait to see the other schools its a bit early to be choosing between schools.( especially when one of the acceptances haven't sent financial packages yet) ( but hey what do I know ). I believe that you wouldn't have doors shut eitther way

Thank you for your response!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptances and interviews! Ultimately go where you feel you would be happiest! Since you are interested in specializing the path would be slightly easier and less complicated if you went to Wright State but you'll have to work really hard no matter what. I think it is best just to wait and see what else comes and how financial aid works out.

DON'T DO D.O.!!! If you the chance to go to an M.D. school got to an M.D. school. You have to take an extra class in DO and there are certain residencies, radiation oncology for example, that DOs cannot do because there are no AOA residencies. I must repeat, don't go to D.O. school.

Congrats on your acceptances and interviews! Ultimately go where you feel you would be happiest! Since you are interested in specializing the path would be slightly easier and less complicated if you went to Wright State but you'll have to work really hard no matter what. I think it is best just to wait and see what else comes and how financial aid works out.

Thank you for your advice!

DON'T DO D.O.!!! If you the chance to go to an M.D. school got to an M.D. school. You have to take an extra class in DO and there are certain residencies, radiation oncology for example, that DOs cannot do because there are no AOA residencies. I must repeat, don't go to D.O. school.

WOW you are very adamant about this. I am leaning towards MD

I (a current DO student) would say go to Wright State, if those are you only options. However, wait to hear back from the other schools before making a permanent decision. I have nothing against DO schools, in fact I love my school of choice. But giving a choice between of those 2 schools, I would pick Wright State.

I (a current DO student) would say go to Wright State, if those are you only options. However, wait to hear back from the other schools before making a permanent decision. I have nothing against DO schools, in fact I love my school of choice. But giving a choice between of those 2 schools, I would pick Wright State.

Have heard back from other schools but these are the two I wanted. Not going out of state for personal reasons.

I will be going to Wright State by the way.

Reactions: 3 users
With the merger for residencies, it wont matter much if you are DO or MD. Also, the limits that you have are only ones at which you place on yourself. you can be a rockstar multi-published surgeon whether you are an MD or DO, Its all in what you want and how you go about it. If you dont want complications, then some people might say do MD but honestly its all hard and life can happen so the hinderences you have now may be worsened later on down the line. A DO prof might be more understanding or not, just do your best! you got this either way!